SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marigold33_gw

Red African Violets

Marigold33 NY-Z7
8 years ago

I'm looking for a more true red and a violet that blooms
reliably. I have these four in mind, July Renegade, Powwow, Christmas Dream and Secret Rendezvous. Any information
on any of them would be helpful and appreciated, thank you!
Marianne

Comments (44)

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Marianne -

I think Stork's hybrids have reds closer to true red than Paul Sorano's. So "Powwow" - has the best color - but it is heavily variegated - so you will get less blossoms. The rest of them - from LLG - and they will be on a darker red side. Both these hybridizers produce very reliable florferous plants - so it will depend on your culture how they deliver.

Fluorescent lights, warm temperature, good soil and fertilizer - and they will bloom 10 months out of the year. Something is not up to par - and you get less.

Good Luck

I.

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm still fairly new and I'd like to add to my collection. So I suppose the the heavier the variegation the less floriferous they tend to be? I have only one that's variegated, and I love the foliage so I'm looking to add more with variegation. Thanks for the insight, Irina!

• Related Discussions

Non-Toxic Plants for Indoor Pets

Q

Comments (1)
    Nice list, thanks! I have a dog, so the indoor plants I have are nontoxic: an african violet, a nontoxic fern, culinary herbs in hubby's Aerogarden, and a goldfish plant (which I love!! It is so cool looking.) Used to have a Persian violet which was fabulous and fragrant-- smelled great for about 2 months, but it eventually finished flowering, sickened and died. It was replaced by the goldfish plant.
    ...See More

WANTED: Named African Violets (Red) or Chimeras

Q

Comments (1)
    Where are you located? I'm in Toronto, mind, the only red named variety I have is rob's slap happy, which hasn't bloomed yet, and a few leaves rooting of decelles flamingo. The one chimera I have (and plenty of it) is pixie runaround sport. I know someone in Toronto as well who may have more reds. Let me know if you're interested. Karin
    ...See More

We are new here.

Q

Comments (18)
    You are correct with one addition. I can't think of ONE plant that will benefit from draping over a terra cotta (clay) pot. Eventually there will be damage. Here is what happens. Your plant gets watered. The clay pot is porous therefore it absorbes the water out of the soil and away from the plant roots and evaporates into the air. Now, that is natural. The bad part is there are chemicals and salts left behind in the clay pot because they can't evaporate out and away and disappear into thin air. These salts eventually show up ON the side of the pot as white wavy lines. They show up IN the pot as white, brown or sometimes orange crust usually on the top of the soil. These are the damaging salts that are in the rim in direct contact with your african violet stems leading to damage and or death. Yes, you can cover the rim of the pot with foil. You can also use plastic or styrofoam pots. But clay or plastic the process is the same. Plastic doesn't absorb the water from the soil as clay does. BUT from the process of evaporation you will still be left with the dreaded salts. If your plants are watered from the bottom normally, then I suggest running water thru the pot from top to bottom "rinsing" out accumulated salts every now and then, (and yes they are in there!). If your plant is potted in a glazed pot with NO drainage hole (thought you were safe didn't you??? lol) since the process of evaporation is from the bottom to the top, you will accumulate salts on the top of the soil. White crusty stuff. You can scrape that top layer of soil off, backfil and continue as before OR you can pot in plastic or styrofoam (with drainage holes) and use a cover pot that is deeper and wider around than your pot the plant is in. If your plant sits too low in the pot, use aquarium gravel or small rocks to lift it up. It is ok if water sits in the bottom as long as it doesn't let the plant sit in the water, It will just give a little humidity as it evaporates. Even if you elect to scrape off the top layer etc. you can't get it all. You still have soil in the pot that has salts in it just waiting to "evaporate" it to the top. Air circulation is very important whether you are starting babies or maintaining grown plants. Salts are always going to be there no matter how you pot. It just depends on how much time you want to spend battling the problem. Sorry for the length of this and if you have a question or if I didn't explain it clear enough just ask! Rosie
    ...See More

Are there any true "red" varieties of AV's?

Q

Comments (30)
    Rosie, I don't know if your question marks were intended for me or not but just in case, I will explain. I got tired of "Thrip Wars". I have had them on and off for over a year and after recently finding a couple more on a few plants, I went to "DEFCON 4". I debudded/flowered everything in the house. On Wednesday I gave everything green in the house an "Avid" bath. After two more Wednesdays, I will resume normal operations. Hopefully I'll have some peace w/o them rascals eating up my plants. All went well and all of my plants seem none the worse for wear. They really, really want to grow some flowers though. Holy mackerel, I have not seem bloom stems like this in a long time!
    ...See More
  • irina_co
    8 years ago

Yes - variegated part of the leaf doesn't contribute to the production. So heavily variegated plants grow slowly and bloom less. I love variegated foliage - but I would stick to the ones that have mostly green leaves with some variegation - instead of mostly white with some green.

I think reds should be grown under fluorescent lights - they look gorgeous. Under day light - a lot of them look like...a dead meat! Just the nature of the pigments in these flowers - anthocyanins are more in a blue - purple - coral range.

• aegis1000
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've grown (3) of the (4) you mention.

Pow Wow has a deeply saturated red coloration that I can't get enough of. Take good care of it and it will grow and bloom consistently.

My Pow Wow

I grew and liked Secret Rendezvous, ... but it was before I discovered Chloramine poisoning in my water ... and the plant finally croaked.

I liked the flowers (semi-double red ... with a white edge) and the fact that the foliage would lie nearly flat. The plant grew well (for a while) and I thought that I had found the red that I was looking for. But the Cloramine (I suppose) foiled that. I've got a starter plant of it recently, but it will be a while before I have any blooms.

I also grew "July Renegade". Fast grower, especially for a variegated plant, but, unfortunately, as Irina called it ... the flowers were the color of "dead meat". Probably because it was sitting in the window, I guess. Ironically, it was one of my best early performers, and I tried to appreciate the profuse blooming, but ... to no avail.

My July Renegade

Looking through Google photos, it appears that the plant is more successfully grown for lush foliage, than for its blooms.

Award winning July Renegade

I haven't grown Christmas Dream, though I've been tempted by its photos.

Are you aware of a current source for Christmas Dream ???

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Ageis, that helps! Hmm several things to consider but Iv'e decided on Powwow, I like that it's deeply saturated and I think I'll take a shot at Christmas Dream, Christmas Dream is found at Lyndon Lyons.

I remember another helpful list you gave me on another thread so I think I'm going to add Cool Mint for it's variegated foliage and Pure Serenity since it seems it will have more blooms.

For some reason semi-miniatures don't fare well for me, I lost two of them. Unfortunately I may have over watered them but the standards are still doing well. Rob's Love Bite (semi-red) is holding up but it's been 7 months and not one bloom yet although it's pinned as a good bloomer.

I was going to order them soon but it appears Lyndon has winter shipping which is pricey, so I think I'll wait. It also occurred to me that maybe it's not a good idea having them shipped this time of the year? Good things come to those who wait, so meanwhile I'll keep looking around to see what I can add to the list. Ness Blue Skies comes to mind, I really like blues.

Irina, I have looked into fluorescent lights but I couldn't figure out which ones I should buy. I'm sure they make a difference and if anything I'll use it for the reds. I bought hanging window shelves so that's where most of my AV's are now. Thanks again!

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

Other RED possibilities that I have tried.

Bob Serbin - fairly good red colored semi-double blooms. Grows fairly well, but the habit was too upright for me. The flowers are more of a brick red, though I've seen photos of a brilliantly red colored Bob Serbin with a more flat foliage habit.

Red Lantern - I've had ups and downs with this plant. I had a nice plant which bloomed beautifully, but which was ultimately lost to Chloramine poisoning, I'd guess.

I have another now, but the foliage, for some reason, likes to bend downward around the sides of the plant, and the blooming, to-date, has been marred by thrips. It's currently in treatment.

Hot Spot - a very nice semi-double red with ruffled foliage. I like this one.

Lady in Red - so far, ... the habit is still too upright. Currently trying to blast the foliage down some with extra light.

And, of course, Red Rocket ...

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What has me wanting more variegated foliage is my one and only Ness Orange Pekoe. It doesn't bloom much and it's not as orange as I would have liked so initially I was disappointed in it. But it grew into a beauty even without bloom and it's almost perfectly symmetrical unlike some of my others that bloom more but they don't look as nice when not in bloom. Some of my plant's leaves are growing upright, I don't know why since they're in the same area? I guess it comes to give and take, it's great to hear other people's perspectives and experiences.

Sorry about your pest problem. I worry about pests since I do a lot of yard work and gardening in the spring and summer months. I heard pests could easily be brought in. If I get any, are they hard to treat?

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

I'd wait until Spring to order at this point.

I've grown Cool Mint for awhile now, and though the foliage can be absolutely stunning, the flowers centers fade too soon for me.

Pure Serenity is doing okay, though I'm still hoping to get more out of it ...

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Love oldies - Bob Serbin, Arcturus, like Powder Keg a lot, even it is a really dark red. Ness Orange Pecoe is one of the best corals, great plant alltogether. I think George McDonald has several really nice semi-mini reds, very close to true red.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Great summary of everything said.

Bob Serbin is actually a Canadian hybrid by John Brownlie - he also has several nice reds in his portfolio. Aca's Tornado is a beautiful show quality plant.

I grew PowWow only once - and to my regret my plant was a weak one from a day one, never shaped up. I am still to try Red Rocket - seems that Aegis likes it and it grows well for him. I saw it at the Convention it was introduced - there were 2 plants - Marie Burns showed one as an amateur and Paul Sorano - as a commercial - and OMG - they were huge and loaded with blossoms. 3XL.

• lucky123
    8 years ago

Photo · More Info

This is a red noid. It doesn't photograph well. It is a very pure rose red but in photos it is a dull bluish red. This is the clearest, most lovely red in the morning on the windowsill when the light strikes it just right. This is the best photo we have been able to obtain. It has been in constant bloom. Very good grower, if anyone can identify, poss Optimara. Not variegated, small standard, semi-miniature

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Here is a link

http://www.myviolet.com/varieties?status=&color=5&size=&series=&search=TRUE.

Optimara probably put a lot of efforts to pass the correct color to the photos. Keep an eye on the shape of the leaves and flowers.

• lucky123
    8 years ago

Irina

Been there, done that. The colors do not match the true shade of this plant nor do they match the colors on the photos that are the more bluish/dull red.

That is the problem with noids. I have incredibly beautiful plants that I cannot replace if I lose them. This plant is small enough for a window sill, natural light and a stunning rose red. Can't ask for more than that except a name :)

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Initially I was going to get Bob Serbin, for some reason I didn't think Lyndon sold it, I know Violet Barn has it. I think I'm going to add Bob to the list, thanks!

I was never interested in whites until I saw a pretty annual and it seemed to glow at night. That's what sparked my interest. I know colors can be tricky and also perhaps not as advertised. It would be great to be able to see them in bloom before purchasing but that's not possible. What has helped a lot are reviews and feedback. Without that it's more difficult but some plants I was still happy with, others like a rose bush, once it bloomed it wasn't the purple I was expecting..

Pure Serenity is very pretty! But if anyone could suggest any other whites that fare well that Lyndon sells that would be great.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Lucky -

at some point I made a decision not to keep NOIDs. And I stick to it. I do not keep sports. There is just so much real estate on the shelves - I would prefer to use it on named hybrids and species. I enjoy knowing more about the hybridizer, what his story, what other good plants he or she produced. Kind of connects me with these people.

If you have a chance - attend the AV show. It will give you the feel of the plants you want to try. Not all plants will perform very well in your house - makes sense trying several reds - or several whites - and keeping the ones you like the best.

I think we all need to try several new varieties every year. The secret is to part with ones from the last year - before we all are in a middle of a major AV hoard ;--))

• lucky123
    8 years ago

Irina

It depends on the ones from last year. I put down leaves of the good ones that have bloomed all this year as I have new varieties ready for that shelf space. I had Maggie Lee but it is getting tattered so I have a mouse ear coming along. Meanwhile, there are some newer varieties that will fill the space.

I have about 10% noids. I would not part with some of them. This photo I am posting is a light blue semi-double and very distinct Tommie Lou variegation along the edge of the leaf. Very Elegant.

Photo · More Info

I try to replace noids with identical or similar named varieties but this blue seems to be unique, no other variegated lgt blue quite like it so I am keeping this one.

I also try to replace plain foliage with variegated with similar blossoms. Just a personal preference.

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

Another white that I've enjoyed growing is Sansoucy Julie Marie, typically available from Bloomlovers ...

Yet another, with pink edging, is Candy Swirls, typically available from P.J.'s Violets on ebay ...

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Give plant a chance in the talented Aegis's hands - and we all start salivating...

I think both variegated and plain green have their place in our collections. Some variegated are way too variegated and temperamental.

Lucky's elegant blue is lovely. It is a pity that it doesn't have a tag. I can recommend a gorgeous oldie - Harbor Blue - it is very floriferous, holds the flowers for long time - the only issue - grows quite large. But if you do not mind hefty violets you need to try it.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Oh, I don't have any of the beautiful violets discussed here, but as far as red is concerned,,,,,I was lucky enough to see the most beautiful dark red bloom on a violet in Lowe's! Yes I bought her. I know she will be a noid until I can possibly identify her on the Optimara website. She has to be an Optimara coming from Lowe's, and she was in the customary "Optie" pot.

I am going to post her pix. To me, she is the most beautiful deep red I have ever seen. Not magenta,,to hint of purple,,,just a very clear deep, deep red. I just love it, name or not. We don't see colors like that around here. I just love her! This was the best pix I could get, but it doesn't show the color exactly right.

I must say,,,,the pix posted here are beautiful! Really love that white! Rosie

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Probably Opt. North Carolina. They only have 2 red pansy types, the rest have star shaped blossoms. Arkansas has round leaves

http://www.myviolet.com/view_varieties.php?id=46

http://www.myviolet.com/view_varieties.php?id=211

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Aegis, I really like Sansoucy Julie Marie a lot, I hope I can find it. The other one is lovely too but unfortunately PJ's won't sell to me anymore. I think I had too many questions about getting an AV where the color didn't match, so I thought I may have gotten the wrong plant. I think I jumped the gun, had I done some looking into I would have discovered that the colors are variable for violets, colors can change and a few people had the identical problem that I did on that particular plant.

• quimoi
    8 years ago

Optimara Manitoba is very close in color to Harbor Blue. It is a more compact plant though and grows like an Optimara. I have heard that people got the wrong plant from PJ's too. Blue Mountain (Dave Dick) sells Candy Swirls and would not ban you for asking questions.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

PJ's sell younger starters, some of them - will sport. You are never 100% sure until they bloom. One time they sent me a wrong plant - it was also G.McDonald plant but a different hybrid - I think it was sitting nearby on the shelf - and after I emailed about it - the replacement was on my porch in 3 days with plenty of apologies. That's - a good customer service - and I got an extra plant for free.

Dave Dick's plants are larger, extremely well grown and usually go for $$$. I got a plant and a gift from bluemountainviolets at the end of October,just before he closed for the winter. Both of them are now grown for our March AV Show. They bloomed and I am disbudding them from now till February. I swear - never seen such well grown and absolutely undamaged plants coming from ebay.

It is like - where do you shop - Walmart - or Macy's? I do both.

There is an Optimara Holtkamp Violets site on Facebook with oodles of great photos. And you can see some stuff that is NOT the run of the mill. I was looking at the red Optimara violets to figure out which one Rosie grows - and I had a blast. Fix yourself a cuppa - and enjoy the pics.

• lucky123
    8 years ago

If I could identify my noids, I would buy the named plants from the vendors. If Optimara had placed a tag on a dark blue (poss Wyoming) noid I bought several years ago and lost. I would reorder from them. Many of us would replace Optimara noids from the factory if we only knew the name.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

You can order from them.

http://www.optimara.com/mailorder.html

http://www.selectivegardener.com/cart.php?m=search_results&headerSearch=Y&search=wyoming

What's interesting - they do not grow all the violets they have for Big Box Stores. The rotate their varieties. So every year the selection in the stores will be different - and not that large. But you can order leaves of almost everything. Not everything they ever had - some are retired and gone.

I.

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

To be fair I was a bit insistent it was the wrong plant. I didn't understand the explanation that a new plant can start off a different color (it arrived in bloom) and revert to it's true color. They wrote me they were crediting my account but I didn't want a credit and asked to please not do that. I was otherwise happy with the plants. It didn't take long to learn that I did have the right plant, I looked closely at the young plant's foliage that I received and someone else had the exact problem that the plant was pink and not coral/orange. I went to order again but I could see they didn't want my business. On the other hand I think it's important that 'any' seller answer a question and not that someone should have to search elsewhere for it. I have paid more simply because the customer service rep. or owner was helpful and sometimes went into full depth which they didn't have to, but took the time out of their busy day. Also if something is wrong I know they'll honor it.

I have ordered from Selective Gardener and I was very happy with the Optimara's and large size, also because the plants are easier since I'm still fairy new. Lyndon Lyons is great as well, I have yet to order from Bloomlovers. I decided to wait to order from Violet Barn, because I would like to get a better handle on caring for AV's and somehow I feel VB seems to have plants for the more seasoned person. I never heard of Dave's Dick's plants or Buemountain violets, it sounds like it could be up my alley but I rarely shop on Ebay anymore doing bids, if they're bid only sales. I'm always happy to find new places to shop, thanks!

Marianne

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

I'd agree that Violet Barn works better for more seasoned growers.

Also, BloomLovers sells leaves and plugs (i.e. very small plants which must be potted). I've had a lot of success with Bloomlovers.

• jerryandjohn
    8 years ago

Does anyone know what happened to Bluebird African Violets Greenhouse in Apex,nc and where is the best place near Cary,nc to go see lots of African Violet plants

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Aegis -

by the way how well you grow - I can predict you can revive anything. In my experience the newbies should start with Optimaras, move to Lyndon Lyon and then progress to more challenging venues. Supposedly all this time they try to repot and propagate on their own finding their feet. Knowledge comes with practice and reading and exchanging ideas and practice again. When the plants start talking to you - you are in business - but you need to learn the language. We all need to find our inner green magic, genes we share with the rest of the living things - plants and animals.

You get a puny little starter - and you ask it - baby - what can I do to make you feel better? How are your roots? Do you need some fresh loose soil so they will breath better? Do you need some foliage feed? I bet you will appreciate good light and a dome in some warm spot - it will be like a spa for a little one... And in a week - it starts growing - and in 2-3 weeks it is not puny anymore...and in a month you see buds coming...

I.

• quimoi
    8 years ago

Blue Mountain Violets on eBay is Dave Dick. Some of his plants go very high - IMO way too high but that is not Dave's fault. He starts them low enough. However if you watch and wait, esp. until a little later in the year, the prices aren't so bad on some of them. He also shows you the exact plant you will be receiving which is much better than getting one that is "like it." I don't buy a lot from him because he does get good prices but I have gotten a few.

Violet Barn's standards are smaller although I'm doing better with them than I was before. I've had pretty good luck with their smaller ones.

I remember someone with a Witch Doctor from PJ's that was definitely not a Witch Doctor. They buy their plants from Harmony's (at least that is what I've heard multiple times).

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Dave Dick puts his plants out for $6.99 - and the price of the shipping is very cheap if you consider how well he packs and that he sends Priority. If you watch his auction - at the very end you can pick the plants nobody bids for - this time - and it is a very good buy regarding all around Cadillac quality.

PJsviolets sell good size plants and they sell small plants, starters and leaves. My understanding - they have their own operation, not only Harmony resale. I also heard that they buy from Harmony in bulk and sell them off. All the power to them - Harmony's plants are very good and they do not sell to public.

Witch Doctor... you cannot confuse it with anything else. The buyer should request a refund or replacement.

Violet Barn plants can be small - but they are not sick or anything - so an experienced grower should be able to jump start them in most cases. Though - getting a replacement from them...good luck...

Bluebird Greenhouse seem to be closed. I visited the greenhouse in 2010, in 2013 they closed it and were doing a mail catalog selling of leaves and starters from their home. Now website is closed and they pulled their ad from AVSA vendors site. Tom and Libbie Glembocki are wonderful people - I hope they just decided to retire, that's it.

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

Irina

I did, indeed, start with, essentially, grocery store violets.

I had my first successes with (3) such violets, a pink, a dark violet, and a white/blue multi around 1985 or so. I was in grad school at the time, so my real collecting of these wonderful plants didn't start until a couple years later.

At that point, it seems that every time I walked into my local Kroger grocery, there would be new and interesting violets on display. And, at that time, I was in an apartment with a south-facing sliding glass door, so light was never a problem. For a few years, I picked up various violets at the grocery, all of which I am sure were not Optimaras. I had some truly stunning specimens that I remember to this day and have tried to find replacements for, usually to no avail. I had a large-growing plant with wavy leaves and bright white and pale-violet double ruffled flowers, and another smaller plant with blossoms which looked like soft pink patches in a quilt.

This went on for a few years until I started to pick up some Violet pests with my plants. By this time, I had joined the AVSA and had ordered a few plants from Tinari's. I ordered, and received starter plants for Arapahoe and Fickle Flirt, if you remember those varieties. But soon, I was battling thrips and mealybug, which spread throughout the collection, and ultimately, during a move, I decided to pitch the entire collection (maybe 50 plants or so). For a few years after, I tried my hand at growing roses, which eventually, yielded the same combination of stunning highs and ultimate letdowns as fungal disease stole their beauty.

So life went on.

It wasn't until 2007 that my interest in African Violets picked up again. I'm not exactly sure what triggered it. I had been married for 7 years by this time, and had kept and cared for a Violet or two here and there. I think that what happened is that I happened upon the Lyndon Lyon website, and, before I knew it, ... had ordered (6) starter plants. I was having pretty mixed results back then ... I think that only (2) of that original (6) survived. (Of course, by then, I was also unknowingly battling varying levels of Chloramine in my tap water).

I continued ordering from LL. (I often wondered what they thought of me ordering the same plants over and over again). But, eventually, I got a few plants to grow and bloom fairly well ... and I started looking at other vendors to see what they had that LL didn't. I shopped from Violet Barn, ... but I think that their (somewhat smaller) plants just couldn't overcome my (then unknown) Chloramine issue. I've tried to grow several of Ma's varieites, but, with little or no success. And, up to that point, I had propagation success on just one plant, a pink Anthoflores I had picked up somewhere (or maybe it had come in a funeral arrangement).

At some point, maybe 2011, I decided that I wanted to try and collect as many of the varieties I had been envying photos of over the years, and I turned to Bloomlovers and Bluebird Greenhouse to find many of these plants. I also began to get a plant or two from a wide variety of sources (ultimately too wide), My plant numbers grew to over 100, and I set up special growing areas in various areas of the house to accomodate this larger inventory of plants. I'm sure my wife thought I was getting a bit out of control, ... but, of course, ... there are worse areas of interest.

Unfortunately, ... just as I was able to acquire a few last desired plants (Pink Amiss being one of those), ... I also brought in a rather devastating Mite infestation that I, ultimately, only staunched by discarding at least 1/2 of my plants. From then until now, I have been slowly reacquiring what I lost, and, of course, I only learned in mid-2013 about my Chloramine issue. A bit prior to then, I had added Jack's Violets, P.J.'s Violets, and Blue Ridge Country Baskets to my list of sources, and, once I began to water with jugged Spring water, my successes suddenly moved up dramatically. Also, after the Mite incident, I trimmed my list of plant sources.

All in all, I really hesitate to think what I my have spent on Violets over the course of 15 or so total years, but as I said, there are more expensive areas of interest. I mean, some guys collect cars ... so I don't think that I've done too badly.

I want to thank you, and all of my other African Violets afficiandos here on Gardenweb for your helpful advice, tips, and conversation. My wife TOLERATES my Violet interest. Every now and then, she'll say, ... "Those plants can look pretty sometimes ... ". So, I really appreciate your shared interest. I've been a member of Gardenweb for 15 years or so. It's been a real plus for me ...

I'm wishing the best of holidays to all of you. May your violets bloom ... and your families and loved ones too ...

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Wow - that's a lovely story and promise of more success in future. Nothing really stops you - you take the hit - and move on.

What I am really afraid of - is INSV. The rest is doable. I had a mite infestation after 2010 Convention in Raleigh. I caught it on time - and chucked some plants, but saved the leaves. "Forbid" - took care of them - in one go. New drench for the mealy bugs - "Taurus SC" - does amazing job, better than Marathon.

Need to spray for Powdery Mildew - already see it coming.

Yes - we spend some money on plants. But - we do not gamble, collect Faberge eggs or finish 6 pack every evening. We have a pretty innocent hobby except for the fact that almost every horizontal surface is taken and electric bills are not small.

We need to be very grateful for our mildly supporting spouses. They are the best! They do not compete for the plant space ;-)).

Happy Holidays and Lots of Green, White and Red in your plant room!

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I began gardening about 8 years ago, starting with annuals, rose bushes, expanding to Gailardias, Daylilies, Hydrangeas and Coneflowers.. I'm not quite there but my garden is almost established. I thought I had an edge having the net, which I did, but I never expected it would take 8 years to get to the place I wanted to be. My grandfather without any electronic resources and a far larger garden and upkeep fared better than I ever will. He's what sparked my interest and I marvel especially being in his 70's what he mastered. I don't have that green thumb and as much stamina as I have, I can never accomplish what he did. It's challenging, it's a hobby I thought I'd 'never' explore but I found it to be very rewarding.

In the winter months we allow for extra spending but I couldn't think of anything but getting more African violets and chocolate :) I began AV's last spring, I think. The winter months were always daunting and I quickly realized that African Violets can give me joy all year round. My husband also tolerates my hobby and surprisingly helped me in the garden last year. Only he needs to understand that the leaves on roses shouldn't be saturated during watering and you don't just dig a hole and plant.. Hopefully he'll forgive my criticism and give me a helping hand next year. I actually think he sort of likes it ;) Thanks for the help, happy holidays!

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

Marigold ...

I still have roses, but have swapped in plants which are more hardy for my area and do not have the disease issues of Hybrid Teas. I've been through the whole Knockout phase (I still have a few) ... and just planted about (6) new bushes this year.

Aside from roses, I've focused on woody bloomers that don't have to be planted every year (i.e. Forsythia, Lilac, Hydrangea, Redbud, Dogwood, etc.)

I started putting in my landscape in 2000, and started to slow down around 2008. I've learned a lot (also from the internet), and the landscape is mostly pleasing now.

Here is a progress photo ...

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's beautiful, Aegis! The pink rose bush reminds me of a new one I planted last summer called Earth Song. I always look forward to seeing what the new plants will do the following season.

I'm thinking of getting Home Run, it seems to give a lot of color and it's easier and more hardy like Earth Song. Crimson Bouquet is another possibility. There's no doubt experienced growers advice and other information has helped me through. But as much research as I thought I did, I have gotten plants over the years and little details I missed but it made a big difference in their outcome. For instance a particular bush could fry in the heat or be decimated with bugs while the plants next to it may go unaffected. I'd go back and find that people have had the same experience only I missed those comments and sometimes it cost me. But it's an adventure and I enjoy it!

Meanwhile the pretty African Violets will keep me company all year around, I'm really glad to have found them. I also found great hanging shelves on Amazon that you can easily attach to windows for more display options.

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

That rose is Carefree Beauty, a close relative of Earth Song.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Irina, thanks for the name! Oh and I went to Lowe's tonight and all of the violets were marked down. They all needed water and the blooms were nil to none.

I wished the lady who works that dept, Merry Christmas and we got to talking about plants in general. And violets. They are having trouble with a new gal in that dept. She isn't watering the way she should etc.

Anyway, as we were talking, I noticed one of the white tags with a name on it! You don't find them that frequently! I was so excited! It said the name of the violet is "My Love"!!!!! Course I will not know if it is until it blooms for me. But usually when I find them with the tags like that,,,,they ARE the right plant!!!!! I am so excited! Rosie

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Congrats - this one is gorgeous!

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Thanks Irina! It's not red, but I looked it up and it is very pretty! Oh and I have known the lady who works the dept. ever since Lowe's opened. One day I was there and left my wallet in the cart. She found it,,,I met her and we have been plant aquaintances ever since! In fact last night she said she would call me if any came in with the white name tags in them! Woohoo!!!! Rosie

• lucky123
    8 years ago

This thread has many beautiful photos. I hadn't been here for a few days and scrolling through, What a Show!

Rosie, I can commiserate with the photo problems. Somehow, reds just don't photograph well. Always too much purple/blue/brick but I can see that is a very fine red you posted.

An AV the color of my Red Elite Geraniums? Optimara states Cardinal Red is not possible. But I have yet to see Cardinal Red Roses either so I am content with the many lovely shades of rose we can obtain in AV's.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Thanks and Yeah,,,,,but we still keep trying! lol Rosie

• Marigold33 NY-Z7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aegis, I might have to add Carefree to my spring planting list!

Has anyone had experience with Optimara's "California" or "Love"?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!