SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantivorous

River border trees, bushes, shrubs to consider...

plantivorous
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello everyone,
Thank you for reading this post. I am doing some research for a river bordering property that I have acquired that has no privacy screen that I am interested in planting some trees for privacy.
This property is located in Northerwestern NJ, parellel to the Delaware River.

I am looking for the following qualities/traits:

1. Grows fast as possible, and very dense to avoid bears, animals or any person from entering if I plant them close enough.

2. evergreen, because of number 1, I would like something dense from top to bottom and green year long.

3. disease, and animal resistant. Must not be toxic or dangerous to deer, bear, or horses if consumed or at least if consumed in high amounts.

4. Expansive root sytem, I need a tree that has a deep and expansive root system in order to avoid tumbling over on a storm or flood. Being that I am wanting to plant this on a river border (about 2-3 feet or more from the river), I would like something that can tolerate water, and protect the river bank from errosion.

5. Any other qualities that might fit well in the environment I am looking for.

I was initially considering Leyland cypress as the fast growth and beautiful folliage attracted me, but it has a weak root system and I am not certain if it will do well planted next to the river and in an area that could also high a bit of floods. I also do not know if I should consider Murray or another type of Cypress or what I should be looking for.

I greatly appreciate your time and assistance,
Thank you all.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!