SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lschibley

Long triangle tree/shrub border design question

lschibley
15 years ago

Hi all,

I am designing a border to my front lawn and I am trying to get a sense of how it will all fit together. It is going to be a shrub/tree border. It's a long triangle shape 46' feet long by 16' at the base. The base is the house, the right angle side is lawn, and the back side is defined by a large steep weedy slope down into woodlands. The woodland trees are the backdrop of this border. My first question is, would three trees in this border be too many? I would love to plant a Winter-king Hawthorn near the point, a Virginia Fringetree near the middle, and a Variegated Pagoda dogwood about 8-12 feet from the house, then intersperse these trees with some large-ish shrubs, winterberry, rhodedendron, oakleaf hydrangea, bugbane etc. Does this kind of design make sense?

The conditions are well-draining sandy slightly acidic soil (to be amended of course). Mostly shade near the house, to mostly sun near the point. I can draw various sized circles and fit them in an appropriately sized triangle all day, but I'm having trouble figuring out if all of these plants will work together or if it's just going to look like a hodgepodge unless I come up with some grander unifying scheme. I admit, I am more of a specimen collector than a garden designer and I'm comfortable with that, but on the other hand this is going to be a huge chunk of my front yard and I don't want it to look terrible. I guess my question is, does this design make sense, or do you have any other suggestions.

Lisa

Comments (10)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company