SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axg9504

Hard Start Capacitor, what is its function and when to replace

axg9504
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a couple of Carrier Infinity Units about 10+ years old. My contractor has regularly serviced them two times a year during that period. I am generally pleased with them, they certainly are professional. I'd like someone however to educate me on when a hard start capacitor needs to be replaced. The other day I was told by the tech. that one of the units required a new hard start capacitor. I gave the go ahead but there are some things I heard that I'd like someone here to 'vet'. (1) I was told that the unit would run without it but it would damage the compressor over the long run because the amp draw would be higher- this appears plausible to me, the unit was running OK. (2) He wanted to convince me that he was not cheating me by showing me the cap. He pointed to the terminal and said it was 'bowed out'. I'm extremely skeptical about this I think he should have mentioned Farads in evaluating the cap. (3) I paid $250 which after some research on prices appears to be at least $100 too high. I was paying for the service call through my annual agreement and I'm also supposed to be getting a discount since I have a service agreement, not sure how much.
Comments? Thanks

Comments (2)