SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jm_ukc

should I discourage indoor winter growth?

James (zone5b)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have two seed started trees from early this summer. I had hoped they wouldn't grow over the winter, since that growth will not be as strong as outdoor growth. I stopped fertilizing them in fall and kept them in a cool place indoors, but the key lime never stopped putting out new growth. The new growth didn't look very robust and the tree eventually aborted it all, leaving a smooth nub at the top of the tree. Unfortunately it then started pushing more growth all along the stem, just above every leaf! Since this thing doesn't seem to want to go dormant I went out and bought a 23w 5000k CFL to try and help it through the winter, and fashioned a tinfoil housing area under the light.

The other , a kumquat, seemed to have gone dormant. It stopped growing by early Sept and had a smooth nub at the top of the tree, but recently has begun pushing new growth at the top. So it is now under the light also.

Should I start giving some fertilizer, or hold off in the hopes that they'll abort all the growth and go dormant until spring? For now I'm planning on giving some fert with next watering and keeping them under the light. They are small trees, kumquat is only about 6 inches tall. Anyone other northern growers have experiences to share?

Comments (4)