SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ethanqsimmons

Ingredients for 5:1:1 and gritty mix near Benicia/Vallejo area

ethanqsimmons
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all,
I just wanted to share where I ended up finding the ingredients for these soil mixes. I live in the Benicia/Vallejo area, and really had difficulty finding the necessary components, so I thought I'd help whoever is looking in this area.

Bark: apparently Mid City Nursery in American Canyon sells something called Greenall Micro Bark by EB Stone (manufacturer) that is supposed to be the best of the best in terms of particle size and yield after sifting

Perlite: I bought a giant bag (3 cubic feet, I think) of this stuff at Navlet's in Pleasant Hill for $22

Peat: I also bought this at Navlet's in Pleasant Hill. 37 pounds of compressed peat for $23 dollars I think. Note that Navlet's has other locations in the Bay Area

Granite: I went to Mt Diablo Landscaping in Concord (off of Detroit Ave) and looked at their crushed granite samples. I think I ended up buying #13 or something, but basically they have different sizes and you can just ask for the 1/4" one.

Turface: I could not find this in my area, though, to be fair, I didn't call that many places. It's probably around somewhere, but then I saw that Napa auto parts is in Vallejo and they carry Napa Floor Dry (part number 8822) and you can reserve it online which is a nice feature. I don't recall the size (you can look it up online), but for two bags it was $19.

Sifting equipment: If you go on eBay and look up bonsai soil sieve, there's one seller that includes three mesh filters that are exactly the right sizes: 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4". Cost is about $35 and seller is located in CA so shipping should be pretty speedy.

I hope this helps anyone looking to get started with 5:1:1 or the gritty mix! Let me know if you have questions!

Comments (5)