SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Week 83: reliable appliances

Texas_Gem
8 years ago

Since I am no longer in the throws of remodeling, I've had a tough time coming up with topics each week. (Feel free to suggest topics!!!)

My KA stand mixer, however, gave me the perfect topic a few days ago.

I didn't get my KA mixer until my new kitchen was done. It was a gift from my parents for my 30th birthday but I told them I didn't want to actually get my new mixer until my new kitchen was done and I had a place to put it. So I didn't get my awesome mixer until MONTHS after my birthday. It has been my pride and joy (and workhorse) since then.

Last week I was making bread, I had the dough hook on and it was kneading the dough. Hubby had to leave to run a few errands so, of course, the kids HAD to wave him off. (I don't know if it is "normal" but our family has always stood and waved goodbye when someone is leaving)

We were standing in the garage, waving goodbye to daddy and blowing kisses when I thought I heard a loud bang. I brushed off the noise, we said bye, closed the garage door, came back inside and when I walked in my kitchen, I saw my KA mixer on the floor!

It had "walked" itself off the counter and crashed on the floor!!

After the mini heart attack, I picked it up, put it back on the counter, plugged it in and turned it on and it was working just fine, thank god!!!

What could have been a right and proper "oh sh*t" moment was instead a "d*mn it!! Is anything broken? No? Whew!!!!"

I doubt a lower brand of stand mixer would have survived walking itself off the counter, pulling out its own plug before it unceremoniously crashed to the floor.

If you happen to know anything about me and my kitchen journey, it is that I'm always looking for deals and I almost never buy top of the line.

There are a few items though, that I put my proverbial foot down and insist on a particular brand because I truly believe they are the best.

My stand mixer is one of them.

Even though I have survived for 30 years without one, when I walked in my kitchen and saw it laying on the floor, my heart sunk.

I'm so glad that my faith was not displaced!!

Yes, I survived before I had a KitchenAid stand mixer and yes, I could easily suvive without one now BUT it truly makes such a difference in my daily life that I can't imagine NOT having one.

How about you? What appliance has been such a workhorse/god send that you can't imagine working in a kitchen without if?

Comments (14)