SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ethealey

Which historic 100-year old marble should I choose?

Erica H
8 years ago

So, hopefully you all will think this is a cool project and won't mind giving me some desperately needed advice. :)

Recently the old federal courthouse in my city (built in 1905) was remodeled into a swanky hotel. A local salvage yard got A LOT of the marble that was pulled out of the courthouse during the renovation. My husband and I are both attorneys and I am desperate to use some of the marble that was in the old federal courthouse in our new build. Although I prefer marble that has soft veining, my mother practiced law in that courthouse, and given my husband and my profession I think it is a cool and sentimental touch for our home despite the fact that the veining is more prominent than I prefer. The problem is that right now I am only in the end stages of the design phase of the home, but due to the limited quantity of marble available I need to make a decision soon if I want to use it. I am a FAR WAY away from choosing materials for my kitchen and baths, although I know I would like to do mostly white in all hard fixtures (ala Maria Killam's blog).

For my kitchen, I am going to shoot for something similar to @romy718's kitchen: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3144159/after-much-procrastination-my-reveal, except I will probably choose quartz over her beautiful light marble countertops because I am Italian (i.e., constant tomato sauce in my house) and have 2 young kids and the high likelihood that I will ruin those countertops stresses me out. At this point, I have no cabinets chosen, no countertops chosen, nothing! I at least know the general direction I want to go: white with Quartz marble-looking countertops, white subway tile backsplash, with possibly a different countertop (wooden like Romy's or black) on one of the islands. The floors will be medium brown wood.

Today I spent over an hour photographing and measuring what I think are useable chunks of the salvaged courthouse marble. Basically, I am looking for any and all advice on how I should go about choosing the marble and where it should go in the house.

Any opinions you have on this are very welcome, like:

-->which marble is prettiest or ugliest

-->where I should use it given my anticipated all-white kitchen and baths. I am pondering a few options: (1) use the marble for the middle island in the kitchen; AND/OR (2) as the butler's bar countertop; AND/OR (3) in the downstairs powder bath; AND/OR (4) something else cool I haven't thought about.

-->whether this extremely veiny and stark marble will be impossible to match with white;

-->whether I am nuts for thinking I can make these decisions this early in the game. :)

If you have any pictures of a marble like this in action, I would love to see them. I have tried searching house and this forum for inspiration and haven't found pictures too similar to this marble.

I am putting pictures of the marble in the comments. The measurements are for the largest uninterrupted chunk out of each piece (i.e., some of them have small holes in the middle of the piece).

I am also attaching pictures of my current kitchen design, which shows the location of the butler's bar.

A general layout of the house downstairs is here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3502739/building-forum-recommended-your-help-with-kitchen-layout?n=20

General measurements of countertops here (although will be slightly different since the design has changed)

THANK YOU for any help! -Erica

Comments (27)