SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
litosloco

Wood Floor Refinish Problem

litosloco
8 years ago

We just had some of our 65-year old red oak floors refinished, as well as new red oak floor laid in a new area. We didn't refinish all of the old floors, so we have those as a basis of comparison.
The old floors with old finish (oil based poly that haven't been refinished in at least 20 years) are very smooth -- you feel the grain of the wood only slightly.
In contrast, the new finish (water based poly) on old oak and the newly installed/finished oak are both somewhat rough. You can really feel the grain, and it is more difficult to wipe them clean, because stuff sticks in the grain of the wood rather than just wiping off the surface. When I run my hand perpendicular to the grain from the old to the new finish, the difference is striking. There were also some cleaning issues (dust and dog hair stuck in the finish), which isn't good but separate from the rough grain issue.
Our GC has said the sub-contractor will add another coat if we want, but isn't confident "it will meet my expectations." GC has variously suggested that this is "just how red oak is", "just how waterbased finishes are" or "you have unreasonable expectations". We think expecting our new floors to be "not worse" than our old floors is entirely reasonable, but would like to hear from some pros here.
Is there any (reasonable) reason a brand new finish/floor should feel and function worse than a 20-year old finish?
Should we have the sub put on another coat (which entails clearing the house of furniture (again), packing up the kids for a couple days, etc.) with no guarantee that they'll figure our or solve the problem -- or should we just walk away?
And then there's the question of money. It seems fair to pay for the installation of the the new oak (labor and materials) and something toward the finishing, but is it reasonable for me to have to pay in full for a refinished floor that is worse than what we started with and needs to be redone?

Comments (20)