SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosleaffair

Looking for layout advice for master bath remodel

Tom Damratoski
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Time to start the master bath remodel, always interested in opinions, this site has been a great resource over the years! Here's our layout. I think that it generally works, so plan is to leave all the plumbing/fixtures where they are, change some doors around, new shower with bench (still 60X32, but maybe add a 16" or 32" bench), new toilet, new vanity counter/fixtures (refinishing existing base), lighting, and a splurge on heated tile floor (electric schluter base/timer), and maybe replace the baseboard heat with a hydronic towel warmer.

Question 0: do you agree to keep layout, or are we missing an opportunity worth carving up plumbing?

Question 1: the door from vanity to toilet/shower is currently a pain. It's removed, and we sacrifice privacy. Thinking to go barn door on this, since there's nothing on that entry wall. Does this make sense?

Question 2. Double doors entering the vanity area from bedroom (left wall) are lousy. Have the magnet catch. We are thinking to close this to 30", and install built-in shelves in the bottom left corner, since we are short on towel/linen storage. Smaller door could be barn, or standard, hinge to open into vanity room, towards the plumbing wall. Should we do this, or is it a mistake to restrict to 30" and "un-center" the door relative to vanity.

Question 3, this is a long one: Shower: USG with foam/tile base, then full bench and custom glass door, pro install? Or should I save some bucks, put in solid-surface pan, teak bench, vigo standard door on those cool rollers, and just tile the walls (pro tiling)? Our budget is kind of tight, so we may need to choose between Option 1: simpler shower + the heated tile and hydronic towel warmer, OR Option 2: full custom tile/custom glass shower w/ full width bench, but cancel the towel warmer/heated tile. OR option 3: Custom tile shower AND cozy heat adds, I take my time over the holidays and do the work myself with the USG or Kerdi system. I have tiled 2 floors, and 2 kitchen backsplashes with great results, but this will be my first shower. I'm confident that I can take my time and very carefully follow the membrane installation instructions on either of the 2 systems. Which would you do? I'm leaning towards option 3.

See some horrible "before" pics. We bought an"as is, fixer upper" 2 years ago, and this is way overdue. Tile floor is avocado inlay, and avocado sinks, only 1 plumbed! Note roof leak was repaired at closing, and we told them to hold off on re-doing the tile on that wall..plan was reno in first 3 months, but the kitchen went $20K over budget! Note the old trashcan is in place of the old avocado toilet, just started to demo.

Thanks for any feedback on our 4 questions! Also, feel free to search my profile and see our last 3 bath remodels, 1 from this house, and 2 from the last house!

Comments (10)