SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growingadvice

what do I use to drill holes in a tree stump to remove it?

L A
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a stump of a tree that was removed this past May. I had it ground, however now I want to put up a shed in that area, and of course its in the residual is in the way. It's about 4ft in diameter. Its either a maple or oak. I read up on removing the stump, and what would make most sense on where its at, would be burning it. All instructions recommend drilling holes into it. I've only been able to drill one hole! the drill just doesn't seem strong enough (Ryobi 18v cordless). I checked on the local home depot ( closest tool rental) and they have hammer drills, but they say it wouldn't do the job. I tried a corded 1/2 in drill I bought at harbor freight (didn't really wanna spend 200$ for something I'll probably never use again), but it would work either.
Since this is a common recommendation, what type of drill is used? what specs in a drill should I use? Doesn't seem that is should be that hard!
thanks.

BTW, I wasn't sure if I should post in the tool, landscaping or tree forum. Please move if another is more suitable for this question.

Comments (14)