SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Few Nyssa Sylvatica questions

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I picked up some clearance species, 3 gallon and 6ft tall for $15 each. I had planned on planting them out back or giving them to my friend with 80 acres, bust leaning towards at least one out back. I've read that most are polygamo-dioecious, so if it was a male, I'd have no fruit. The color looked great on two, possible all three (think one was multicolored).

I understand they ing in all sorts of birds and pollinators and are a well behaved tree in the yard/landscape. You may already know I have many young pines in the backyard and since they are young, I'd imagine a few would need to be removed due to branch crowding (when the time came). If they were older and self limbed, it wouldn't be an issue and would've been the ideal situation.

pollination, that is a big concern for me, since I want to attract birds. I figured I could either plant three out back and dig one out if I had two males, etc. Regarding pollination, I'm guessing one out front and two out back wouldn't work and could possibly do a severe disservice if the male was out front (100-130 feet from the females), due to pollination distance and crossing fingers for bees to visit all. I do have a farmer a few hundred yards away, with a bee hive and understand bees really love these trees, also not sure how far from the hive they would go, especially when the farmer has a small crop in front of his barn.

Cultivars - I am in the humid South of Alabama, about 1 mile from Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge and the Tennessee River and wasn't sure if an expensive cultivar (Red Rage) was worth purchasing. I was told it was resistant to leaf spot, but heard contrary in a real world setting, as well as folks having problems transplanting them. The only local cultivars I've seen are 15 gallon, with the extremely unique Zydeco Twist going for $220. I'd rather not buy a large one, due to longer establishment and the initial cost.

Thanks for reading and maybe you can shed some light on the subject for me. If only these things were full of perfect flowers...

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting