SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_russ

John Deere X500 GT - Snowblowing

the_russ
8 years ago

Good Morning All,

I have an X500 garden tractor (2 wheel steer model), running on turf tires with Terragrip traction belts. I have it set up with a 44" snowblower for winter, and a 48" mower deck in the summer. I have a couple different questions around winter use.

first off, the terrain here is pretty flat as far as the driveway goes, there are a couple small hills, maybe 3 or 4 feet on a gradual grade, but they are very minor. My driveway is about a 1/4 mile long, roughly 400 feet gravel, which transitions to about 500 feet of asphalt, followed up by about 200 feet of concrete. Im on a private gravel road, which ill also be snowblowing part of From time to time. I live in west Michigan, in corn country... So not only do we get pounded by lake effect snow off of Lake Michigan, but we also have some pretty serious snow drifts due to all the open fields.

my first question is around snowblowing on gravel. I am wondering what has worked best for everyone without spraying gravel all over the place and creating a ton of spring clean up. I have heard people say to use extra wide, HD skid shoes to increase float, but others say that will still dig in. Other articles ive read say just raise the blower up a half in or a full inch, but that apparently works best when the surface is completly flat. I dont mind driving over snow pack, but i would like to keep the drive somewhat clean if possible without having to adjust my skid shoes after each transition in the drive. Do any of you have tips or tricks / advice on this... Besides "pave over the gravel"?

my second question is around rear weights. The JD dealer keeps telling me i need a bracket to bolt onto the frame to hold any rear suitcase weights. But my x500 seems to have a frame capable of holding the weights itself, without and additionl brackets. The dealership told me that if i just clip the weights on, it could damage the frame, but that doesnt make a whole lot of sense due to the fact we are talking about 168 lb getting attached to the exact same place they are telling me to attach a bracket.... I dont know, before i buy the bracket though, do any of you guys with the 2 wheel steer x500 know what im talking about/what did you do for your rear weights?

thanks guys,

Russ

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions