SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycoleman

Canned potatoes, yum yum!

8 years ago

We are still enjoying our canned potatoes from last Spring. We did not use any salt, just in case someone needed no salt or low salt because we give food away to many different people.

We canned some golf ball size Kennebecs by just washing them with a vegetable brush then poking them in the jars by hand. I tried a new trick that I read about. It works very well with Kennebec because they can tolerate abusive cooking better than most other potatoes. I cut them into 1/2 inch french fries. The canning process almost completely cooks them. They can be used for mashed potatoes, oven or french fries, potato salad... However, I doubt they would work for home fries.

I blanched and froze some Kennebecs this year too. I just washed some smallish ones then quartered them. I blanched the quarters for 60 seconds in water at a rolling boil. Then I put them in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. I immediately put them in a large freezer bag so that when laying on its side, the bag had only one layer of potatoes. Then they went directly into the deep freeze laying flat. After about three hours, I had half of my freezer well packed with frozen potatoes. I'd estimate about 60#. I ate those first and then started in on the canned potatoes. If you can't tell, I like Irish potatoes.

As I type this a six bean soup with greens, potatoes and bratwurst is slow cooking in the other room. SMELLS GREAT! I need to go test it now.

Johnny

Comments (5)