SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmor

sleep sweater at EB

happy2b…gw
8 years ago

Posters to MTN's timely and helpful thread asking for gift ideas have suggested many great ideas and I have been busy checking them out and buying. What is it about the sleep sweater at Eddie Bauer that seems to be beckoning to many of us? I put in my cart for my daughters- gone to site to order- decided to think about it some more - took it out of cart - put it back in - on and on it goes. Such indecisiveness. With resolve and commitment, I just went back to EB to put it back in my cart and order it, but noticed that there are 3 choices which I do not recall noticing on prior visits. So another reason for indecision. Maybe those of you, who have ordered one, could help me by sharing which one you chose and why? One has cables, one a hood, another just ribs. Hm, as I am writing this, it occurs to me that there are 3 choices (other than color) I have 3 daughters maybe ...? So anyway please help me out of my quandary, which style? Also struggling a little with size, do you think a size 6 is a small? BTW, no hesitation selecting gold bracelets for DDs. Thanks for your help. I am beginning to question my faculties.

Comments (55)

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

I am debating on this too. I've added it to my cart. I'm hesitant b/c a cardigan style doesn't seem as if it would be as cozy/comfy as a pull-over hoody. But it does look cozy...

• Related Discussions

zip back baby sweater pattern

Q

Comments (5)
    I have a knit version with cables. Every time I make it, I mess it up big time. I swore last time that I would never make another! If I find one with out the cables I would tho. Sandra, think sweater with a hood that zips down the back instead. It's really nice, especially if the baby is sleeping. It's very easy to put on them. Lay them on their back. Slip their arms in and lay the hood opening over theri face. Pick up baby and lay on your shoulder to zip down the back. Tami
    ...See More

Study: Single Mothers Most Sleep Deprived

Q

Comments (4)
    Years ago I read some very simple reasoning for TWO parents. It was that you would want to have another person who cared as much as you did, of whom you ask, "Do you think Susie needs a sweater?" (Change the question to any of the lifelong concerns of a parent for a child if you don't understand.)
    ...See More

First sleep: Brooklinen Classic Core Sheetset

Q

Comments (26)
    One more thing. I just got the new Cuddledown catalog today. I want to mention them because I've had their pillows and duvet for years. I've also been in their store in Maine. Plus, when my 20 year old duvet needed to be refilled with down, I was able to send it to them and they made the repair reasonably. So that's all to say that I have done business with them for a long time and I trust them. I also just bought a new bed pad from them and it's outstanding. Was very expensive but it has made a difference and should give me many years of service. Just noticed they have 350 thread count percale sheets with some special pricing. On the same page there are cotton waffle weave blankets. They have sales and I if I needed something I would watch for those and try to take advantage as I did on the bed pad.
    ...See More

Adult sleeping in twin bed

Q

Comments (22)
    Have slept comfortably in a few twin beds for over 40 years, I've been about 5' 9", rather slim. There are two in this bedroom, what used to be stepaunt's and stepuncle's beds. while I've slept in the other a few times, usually sleep in the one ... partly because it's often hard to see the other for shirts, pants, sweaters, jackets, socks, maybe a bathrobe. Thankful that I have a radio that'll run for an hour when I push a bar on one end on top, then another hour when my hand pops out - it pretty well knows where to go. A bar on the top at the other end will turn it off when I leave the room. ole joyful
    ...See More
  • happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So grateful for the help with the analysis. I keep telling myself it is not that hard. just pick 1, 2, or 3. It's not like I don't know the girls well not to know what they like. Right? I want one for myself too, but not sure. We can have a sleepover. Two of mine are definitely petite small - 5'1 ; the other is 5'6 - reg sm for her I think. My mother must have had the same roadblocks. I just recall that she sometimes had alternatives smashed away. She say, "If you don't like this one or it does not fit, I have this for you." Is there no hope fro me?

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

beagles, I looked at Nordstroms also, but I think given they are young, EB is better for them. The barefoot dreams is pretty tho.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I am the original rep for the EB sweater. :)

Mine is a few years old and I don't think they had the 3 options when I got mine. Mine doesn't have a hood or cables. It is a bit oversized. I can't remember if I did that purposely or not -- I don't have the size tag any more to know what size I have!

But now I'm wishing I had the hooded one because I'd like pockets!

It is very, very soft and cozy and warm. Going to look now at the hooded one...

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

Ohh...the "original" ribbed cardigan is the only one that comes in Petite. That's why I have it. I'm short, with T-Rex arms, and the sleeves on the hooded one don't look conducive to cuffing. Sigh.

• User
    8 years ago

I had my eye on the ribbed cardigan the past couple years, but could never justify the price. Also didn't want a sweater I could only wear in the house. Since that's been clarified and price discounted I went ahead and ordered.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

It is oversized IMO. I am tall so DH ordered the tall size for me and everyone thinks tall people are also medium-to-large people, or at least EB does. It is a little big, being a M/L, but I love it. I think the hoodie and the cable pattern must be new this year.

happy2b…gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • maire_cate
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A few more thoughts on my selection - In addition to the ribbed having a little more style, it also has a button closure. I'm also hoping the ribbed sleeves will help with the fit - if they're long it might be easier to cuff.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I have a long cable knit cardigan with pockets, that is at least ten years old. I work at a high school and it is one of the school colors, so I wear it at work often. All of a sudden, everyone loves it. I had compliments from three girls and two coworkers yesterday. I've kept this thing in my overly refridgerated office for years and no one has batted an eye, but all of a sudden it's the hot ticket? Quick, snatch up those sleep sweaters while they are on sale! I have a feeling your girls will love them :)

happy2b…gw thanked Errant_gw
  • User
    8 years ago

I am with you Terriks. I am wondering what i am missing. I guess it's a much nicer look than my sweat pants and sweat shirt which is my normal sleep and house attire? All joking aside though, what is the difference between the long cardigans (like the one posted from Target) and the "sleep sweaters"?.

happy2b…gw thanked User
  • maire_cate
    8 years ago

I don't think there is a difference - to me 'sleep sweater' is just a description of a soft, comfortable, unstructured, oversize sweater that's nice to snuggle in. It's not limited to 'sleep' attire. I ordered the EB one because I liked the look, the price was right, the reviews were good and frankly I didn't bother shopping around. The one from Target looks like it fits the general description.

Maire

happy2b…gw thanked maire_cate
  • deegw
    8 years ago

My friends call them wine cardigans. You put on your sweats and your cardigan and curl up on the couch with a glass of wine.

happy2b…gw thanked deegw
  • IdaClaire
    8 years ago

What, now we're supposed to look cute and put together while lounging at home? You'd be horrified to see me in my paint-splattered sweatpants (that actually once belonged to DH) and the sweatshirt that I've had for more than two decades.

I should probably shop for clothes more often. ;-)

(And those sweaters - or, as my English friends say, "jumpers" - are really cute.)

happy2b…gw thanked IdaClaire
  • User
    8 years ago

I saw them at Marshall's yesterday with the PJs. I didn't spend much time studying them but I did look at the price of the cable-knit one and it was $35.

happy2b…gw thanked User
  • hhireno
    8 years ago

The Target one is cute but is it wool?

Yes, any oversized wool sweater works. I think calling it a sleep sweater is silly. I like Dee's friends idea of a wine sweater but maybe I'd change it to a hot cuppa tea sweater.

I still haven't decided on the EB one. I do want wool. And no hood. And cardie style, not a pullover. And something a little classier looking than my current winter bum-around-the-house sweater. But why spend the money when I'm just bumming around the house?

• User
    8 years ago

The Target one is cute but is it wool?

It's 100% acrylic. The ones at EB aren't wool either.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

Well, that makes my decision easier. I only want wool.

eta: I also looked at the flightplan sweaters which are 50% wool, so I guess I was confused and thought they both contained wool.

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

My SIL happened to ask what I was getting DD because her DD is the same age. When I mentioned the EB sweaters she started laughing and said that's what she calls her TV sweater. She keeps it on the back of her wing chair in the family room and after dinner when she's ready to relax and watch TV or read a book it's right there waiting for her.

• deegw
    8 years ago

A sweater for sleep, wine, hot tea, tv, reading, netflix, etc. What's not to like?

happy2b…gw thanked deegw
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

lol- I was eyeing the EB sleep sweater a few yrs ago- after the holidays they went on clearance and when I finally got around to ordering, the style I really liked was sold out. I ordered the other option even tho I didn't like the style so much, but sent it back.

I had pretty much forgotten about them until this thread! what I found appealing about them is that they don't look as much like a bathrobe but looked very comfy, like a robe! with puppies, I often go outside in my robe and thought the sleep sweater might be a good alternative! they would also be awesome on a plane!

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I ordered 3 ribbed ones in each color for my girls. I immediately ruled out the hoodie....doubt they'd walk around the house with the hood up and it just adds bulk in the back when reclining back. I also ruled out the pullover...seems like a hassle to put on/take off.

I have never seen DD wear a robe. She's never asked for a robe. She always throws on a fleece when she's here so I thought she would like it. Had no idea what to get DIL and son's GF so got them one too. Then decided to get pajamas to go with them so ordered from Macy's. DS just informed me his GF wants slippers so will get her slippers to match.

DD and son's GF are both short and very petite. DIL is a little taller and bigger boned and is expecting so I got her the regular.

I think they will like that they are from EB.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Joanie, I'm not much of a robe person either. However, I like to sleep in short gowns (no sleeves) and I will grab my robe when taking the pup out first thing in the morning in cold weather. I'm a bit warm natured. I hate sweats - both the look and they are too heavy for me. Wool itches me. LOL For lounging I like flannel (or knit or silky) pj's. I love cardigans, just not around the house. I think the sleep sweaters will be nice gifts, especially for the younger girls, who as Joanie mentioned, will probably like the fact they are EB.

happy2b…gw thanked tinam61
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

Well, no one HAS to buy a sleep sweater. It's funny that my one little suggestion in the other thread has taken on a life of its own! I will say that yes, the Target one might seem similar but I have doubts that anyone could wear the Target one as much as I have for about 3 years, and throw it in the washer and dryer frequently, and still have it intact. I have bought Target clothing so I'm not snobby, just sayin it's not built to last.

I was actually in Nordstrom today and saw the sweaters that were linked above and I don't know, I didn't like the texture of them. And they are VERY long.

happy2b…gw thanked Sueb20
  • hhireno
    8 years ago

Excellent points, sueb. You really should get something from EB.

• User
    8 years ago

Sue, good to hear the EB sweater has held up. Wish I could say the same about a couple cardigans from JJill. I've also found that clothing purchased at WM has held up much better than things from Target. Go figure.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Just got a Soft Surroundings catalog in the mail and saw their faux fur lounging sweater. It looks so soft and I think it's really cute. Thought I'd share here since it's along the same lines.

https://m.softsurroundings.com/P/Hug-me_Cardi/

• User
    8 years ago

these are all still too pricey for my taste and I am apparently addicted to sweats and flannel pants. But this one from soft surroundings tempts me more than the more normal looking cardigans. Then again I guess the cardigans have the appeal of being able to wear them other than lounging.

I guess I have really evolved to where when I am lounging, I dont even want to pretend I am not.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Everyone, for your suggestions, reflections, and information about the sleep sweaters from various sources. All of which were very helpful. I chose the EB ribbed sleep sweater in gray for the girls and one for me this morning. I plan to get some pajamas or just flannel bottoms, socks, lotion, coffee/tea/small bottle of wine to pack with it. As I typed, it occurred to me that it would be cool to pack the items in a special box or bag. I will have to think about it. Meanwhile I will be picturing all of us and our DD's and DIL's in our comfy clothes. Thanks again.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Do people sleep in these, or use them as bath robes? I think personally all that fabric would bind as one tosses and turns while sleeping? (I sleep in t-shirts.)

• User
    8 years ago

I bet they came about because pajama bottoms and T shirts are popular. Very few woman even wear nightgowns anymore and probably no younger people do, so it makes sense that you need a warm "half-robe" to wear with the bottoms. I never liked those long wrap robes. I just got rid of a shorter robe and am wearing the thickest fuzzy pjs I could find in the morning. I don't sleep in them though. I hate sleeping in nightgowns and pj pants so I just do my flannel sheets. Toasty all night.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know if anyone sleeps in it intentionally. I plan to wear it as an extra layer around the house, and out if it looks good.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I do like the looks of the Nordstrom offerings, but not the price. Plus that they rather look like cat fur magnets... (two tuxedo cats -- you can't win with light or with dark...)

• User
    8 years ago

Sue, if the EB sleep sweater is acrylic, hasn't it pilled when you washed it? My DD would probably like one of these but she throws away any sweater the minute it pills.

• lkplatow
    8 years ago

The sleep sweater is down to $40 today on EB's website. FYI....

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

kswl, it doesn't look brand new but I wouldn't say it's pilly, really (surprisingly). And really, I don't wear it outside the house so I wouldn't care if it was. I just like it because it's warm and soft, and I find robes too bulky. The new one I bought for myself a few weeks ago does look super pretty and new compared to my old one, though!

I'd get one for my 14 yo DD but she is 5', 100 lbs, so I know even the XS/S would be swimming on her. That size fits me perfectly and I'm usually a Medium.

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

There's also this one from LL Bean - merino and cashmere - 20% off today.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/90498?feat=611-GN1&page=merino-cashmere-blend-open-cardigan

• legomom23
    8 years ago

I ordered these for me and my niece and they came last week. The oatmeal was very pretty. The red was not - in my opinion :) I am returning it and ordered myself the gray one. The red and the acrylic made it look shiny. It wasn't a good combination. I liked the feel and look of it. I am always looking for something warm and comfy to throw on in the winter. I also ordered too big. I thought the XL was a L/XL, but it was XL/XXL and it was very roomy. I am 5'8" and ordered the tall and I do like the length.

• Boopadaboo
    8 years ago

Ihave had my eye on this one from soft surroundings for awhile....cozy cardigan

• Bluebell66
    8 years ago

I stopped into EB today to check out the sweaters since they are on sale. I am about 5'4" and 138, and the XS/SM was too large! I normally would choose an M, but these sweaters seem to run really big and the fabric is quite stretchy. It felt too large and bulky, so sadly, I passed. I otherwise love the idea and the price was right. I agree with Legomom, the oatmeal and grey are prettier than the red.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks for that extra info, also about the size. Will try one of these for DD. (I am still good lounging in my flannel robe, lol!)

• amck2
    8 years ago

Mine just came in. I tried it on and don't want to take it off.

Size wise, I'm 5'2" and usually an 8P. I was a bit reluctant ordering Petite because while the sleeves looked long in the pic I wanted the length to cover my backside if I was wearing leggings around the house.

Happy to report the length is fine. I still have to roll back the sleeves and the P Small size is very generous. It's not sloppy, but very roomy below the arms and throughout the back. It's perfect for lounging but I prefer my street clothes not tight, but more fitted, so I won't be wearing it out in the world.

Great cozy find. Thanks for posting about it!

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

Thanks for these threads.....if there's one thing my sister loves it's lounging around in sleepwear and she happened to ask for a long oatmeal hoodie for Christmas! Dropped into my local EB tonight and they were on sale 50% off so I got the matching PJ pants too :)

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I ordered three last week. and the last one arrived yesterday. I thought they sent the wrong size so I went to the website to check. Now they are $10 less! I called EB....had to wait 10 minutes.....but they are crediting me back $15. Would have been nice if it had been $30 but $15 is better than nothing. Not sure when they dropped the price but grrrrr......so maddening when that happens!

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The sweaters arrived yesterday all 6 although I ordered 4. They are really nice and soft- feel really good on. I tried one on. I should have ordered the pajamas pants at the same time. Now price is up but 30% promo is still on which seems to be propelling people to buy. Sizes and styles are limited.

• User
    8 years ago

Got mine a few days ago. Love it! Now if we could just have some winter temps so I can wear it. I'm resisting the urge to turn the a/c on again. Sucks having 80s in December.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

EB is really price dropping this year, but so are a lot of others. I get emails from merchants every day with 20-50% off, so is business off more than usual this year or what? Glad everyone is happy with their sleep sweaters.

• User
    8 years ago

Waited too long, none in DD's desired size/color combination.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery