SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Basic Hanukkah Advice Needed, Please

LynnNM
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My 31 y/o son is in a very serious relationship with his girlfriend of almost 4 years. They've been living together now for the past 3 years and are planning on marrying sometime in 2016. They're now living in Augusta, GA.

He is Christian and she is Jewish. A non-practicing one (doesn't go to Temple, eats ham and shellfish, etc.), but she is Jewish. They celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. We've met her a few times, but they've never lived in New Mexico since they've been dating. I talk and text with her frequently and think the world of her. We consider her to be part of our family already, and treat her as such. My question is, how does the average Jewish person like their non-Jewish friends and family to address this holiday to them? Do you exchange and expect to receive Happy Hanukkah cards? If I send a gift for her to open during this holiday, is there one special night for those gifts? What kind of gifts are exchanged? Or, would it be better for me to just send all of their gifts together to open on Christmas. They do exchange Christmas gifts, put up a tree, decorate for Christmas, etc., as well as putting out her Menorah. I want to be a good and thoughtful friend and (future) mother-in-law and I could use some advice here. And yes, I have a good friend who is a rabbi, but she lives in San Francisco and travels the world for the peace organization she heads. I don't want to bother her with this. Many thanks for any advice.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH