Working on a Headboard Bench

craftylady

I got a Headboard and foot board last summer for free. I decided to make a bench. I had planned to make it right away, but time got away from. Now it will be my 2016 spring project. I will need to buy paint and a sealer for it. I need to plan ahead or it will never get done. Here's my question, what type of paint and sealer would be good for my new bench? It will sit on my open porch. I have an overhang, but it will be open to the elements.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

A friend once told me to use Spar Varnish on anything wooden that will be exposed to the elements.

Save    
craftylady

Thank you,

Do I use this over the paint or under the paint?

Save    
party_music50

I just did some on-line research and you might want to do the same, but from what I read:

- If you are painting it: use paint appropriate for outdoors then coat/seal it with a polyurethane for outdoor use.

- If you are not painting it: use spar varnish.

Save    
powermuffin

Yes, use exterior paint. I would skip the poly because it doesn't hold up well on horizontal surfaces outdoors and it makes re-painting the bench difficult.

Diane

Save    
Beverly Hills

I use exterior spray paint, then after it is well dried, polish it with several coats of Johnson's paste wax.

Save    
juanital

My hubby uses clear coat satin (rustoleum, deft) as a finish, after paint brushed, distressed. 2nd pic is a twin bead headboard the 1st is a baby cribend.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
My Houzz My Houzz: Impulsiveness Works for Work-at-Home Texans
Handmade furniture, impulse buys and hand-me-downs mix beautifully in the home of two wedding photographers
Full Story
Furniture Headboard Alternatives to Make a Dull Bed Divine
Take the adventurous route with twigs or splurge on a high-end rug. All of these unusual headboards show creativity and catch the eye
Full Story
Home Textiles Sale Shop Houzz: Up to 50% Off Upholstered Beds and Benches
By Houzz
Say goodnight to sky-high prices on fabric headboards and benches for your bedroom
See Products