SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_robbins1

Need help making kitchen usable

Erin Robbins
8 years ago

I know compared to some, my kitchen may not seem bad, but I hate it it isn't even the ascetics, although those are bad too. The floor plan is pretty accurate to scale. So my issues:

1. The house was built in 1887. The kitchen is not part of the original house. Parts are original to the addition, like the window. The rest was updated between 2008-2012 by a do it yourselfer that used low grade materials and cut corners.

2. Yes that really is my hot water heater in the corner of my kitchen. Believe me, I have heard at length all the problems from the plumber about this, but for now I have no where else to move it.

3. To add to the challenges, my stacked washer and dryers are also in my kitchen.

4. This is our main house entrance, so traffic flow is vital.

5. I have one row of cabinets. The previous do it yourselfer for some reason built new cabinet fronts from plywood and stained them. I tried to hide this with white paint, which really did not help. I think the white was too white. In addition, because he loved to strip screws half the cabinet doors will no longer stay attached and hubby has not had time to fix them yet. The cabinet with my dinner dishes will stay open, otherwise it hits the pots. Really, because I don't like how the painted cabinets look I have kind of given up on the rest. The counter is prefab laminate.

6. I love to cook, but counter space is at a premium, as you can see. I find myself cooking less and less because of this. I repurposed an IKEA shelf for a pantry simply as an emergency measure. Hubby's coffee pot and cups are in a second repurposed cabinet. Finally, due to the weight, my mixer stays on the rolling cart along with most of the other small appliances.

7. My stove does not work properly. It will not hold temperature, the cost of a new thermostat is not worth the cost of the Hotpoint stove. Hubby gave me permission to buy a new one, but I am dragging my feet because I don't want to buy a good one now is we do a total overhaul in 3 - 5 years. At that time we will add on to the house for a laundry room. That will get the washer and dryer and hot water heater out of the kitchen.

8. And before anyone points it out, yes the fact that my window and sink are not square drives me crazy.

So what I do like about my kitchen. It is actually a decent size given I have a 1300 sq ft house. The floor is linoleum, but not hideous. I like my paint color and I love the pot rack and shelf hubby built me.

What I need is to make this a workable space. We have fallen into a rustic/industrial/farmhouse look. I am trying to get a little more Victorian farmhouse, but am also compromising a lot with hubby who prefers industrial. I recently discovered unfitted kitchens too and I love this look as well.

I am at a loss on what to do because I don't want to invest a lot into a space I know I will gut in a few years. Any suggestions (and I promise telling me it is currently ugly will not hurt my feelings).

I thought I should add, we moved into the house last July when we downsized significantly. A lot of the things you see cluttering the tops of the shelves are the last of the bulk purchases I made when we had space to store them I am not replacing them as they are used up.

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths