SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daryl_r

early, early questions and planning

Jan Russak
8 years ago

I'm - starting - to think about redoing our kitchen & breakfast room area. My target timeframe is Spring 2017 - 15 to 18 months from now. This would be what I'm thinking of as mostly a floor & cabinet redo. We redid almost the entire first floor of our house 13 years ago after living in it for 13 years. In the ensuing almost 14 years we've replaced most of the appliances and now the cabinets have gotten quite sad to look at. Repetitive cleaning has stripped a good deal of the finish from the corners and edges and the floor, which I've never been thrilled with, is also not in a happy state. Things I do like: the current layout, and most of the appliances. What I want to change: the stove & hood, sink(s), all cabinets, the floor, and I want to add breakfront cabinets in the breakfast room. The (gas) stove is the lone remaining appliance from the redo 13 years ago and it has basically only been a cooktop in all that time. The electronics failed early and we were unsuccessful at ever getting a repair or replacement. The suite of appliances we got at that time all failed way too fast for me. In the current state of things no two appliances are from the same manufacturer and that is fine with me. They are all stainless so to me the look is fine. The stove I want is the 36" self-cleaning/rotisserie Capital Culinarian with 6 burners.

Here are my questions: What kind of floor would you recommend? Last time I quite consciously and intentionally chose vinyl and I have not been happy with that choice. I was worried that tile would be too cold and too noisy. Right now I have no idea what to think or what to choose. What would you recommend in terms of the sink? We have a large divided sink and I'm not sure that was the right choice - but I'm not sure it was the wrong choice either. I'm looking for pros and cons of sticking with a divided sink or going for one big one. (There is a second side sink on the other side of the kitchen which has been great and is definitely staying). Can granite countertops be re-used/preserved & re-installed? There is nothing wrong with our current counters and I like them alot. As long as the overall profile doesn't change (and it really should't). Re-use isn't critical but I'm sure would represent a good cost savings. I'm sure it's not done often. I have no idea what sort of hood to get - besides needing one powerful enough to handle the Culinarian on a bad day. Any suggestions? Any other tips about the current kitchen re-do state of affairs? Things to look out for?

Comments (7)