SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Top ten best roses

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

For those of you who have been growing roses long enough and are experienced enough to know, or observing what others grow, which roses would you consider the top ten best? This is not limited to class, just the top ten period. I know the answers will vary. I don't have a top ten, because I'm not experienced enough with different types.

Comments (47)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

You have all seen mine but here they are again. My main concerns for roses here are perhaps the concerns of many. Health, hardiness and vigor in an area where many die to the ground a rose needs to be vigorous to continue thru the years. I believe that I have found quite a few this year but they are first year roses that have not yet stood the test of time. As each year is usually different then what came before. It takes a while to tell the best of the best and if a rose will survive and thrive thru the years. Would love to here about a few gems that I've not yet tried.

1 - Flower Girl is a perfect rose bush here. Perfect health even against anthracnose. Always in bloom usually covered with flowers. This bush has been moved 3 times in the last 3 years and has been hear 10+ years

2 - Julia Child while this rose can get black spot here it keeps it under control as long as she gets good sun. So far of all the yellows I've tried Julia is the best all around yellow for health, vigor, bloom and shape. Photo is of one of my new Julia roses that was planted as a band this spring to show it's vigor.

I'm bad that's not Julia Child. This is thou planted as a band in spring. Photo taken in July.

3 - White Out can get anthracnose in a very bad year. This was the worst year for anthracnose I've seen in twenty years. No black spot or mildew. Grows to 3x3 here and covers its self in flower all season.

That photo of White Out was taken in Nov. of last year. Hit the submit button by mistake.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

There are magnificent wonderful roses that others have talked about and shown but I really only feel comfortable talking about what I know in my own garden, and it might be a stretch to come up with ten that are really superb, especially since 24 of my 54 roses are still in kindergarten. Here goes anyway.

1. Souvenir de la Malmaison (Bourbon) - beautiful flowers, a rounded, shapely bush, very little disease and great bloom almost year-round in my climate.
    2. Potter and Moore (early Austin) - not always perfect but it stays on the small side and has large, sumptuous blooms that enchant me. Also very little disease and good in the heat.
    3. La France (first hybrid tea) - Again a rose that for me has a mystical beauty but which also does well in the heat. I lost one to canker but already have another growing. A rose I would not be without.
    4. Mutabilis (China) - The changing colors on the single blooms and large bush make it a magnificent large shrub for me but you need a large area to let it do its thing. Unfortunately it always grew too large for its spot and the dead wood underneath was daunting.
    5. Aunt Margy's Rose - A polyantha that for me grows 6+ feet against a wall and has fragrant, many-petalled, lilac-pink roses that are present for most of the year in my climate. No disease, pretty small leaves and a romantic, almost wild-rose feel about it.
    6. Le Vesuve - everything a tea rose should be, large, bushy, with lilac pink flowers often throughout the year, and no major disease problems. Vicious thorns but I'll gladly put up with them.
    7. Rosette Delizy - A sturdy upright and wide tea rose with flowers that change color, with luscious apricot tones, not many thorns, roses last well indoors, no disease problems and a frequent bloomer.
    8. The Faun (shrub) - I haven't had it long but it wants to bloom a lot, with old-fashioned pinky peach blooms, no disease that I've seen, a very ornamental garden plant that is easy to care for.
    9. Mlle de Sombreuil - This tea grew and bloomed faster than any I've had and is a winner. It's still young but should be magnificent in another year or two. Loves to bloom, no disease.

10. Sister Elizabeth - It's a rangy, droopy plant that needs support and is not considered to be in the first or even second tier of top Austins but I simple love the lovely lilac-pink color even though I got rid of the first one for reasons I don't remember. I now have another one in what I hope is a perfect spot. Sometimes the thrill a rose gives you is more important that its other attributes. Not a disease magnet, doesn't get too large so all in all a good rose, especially if you love the blooms as I do.

Aunt Margy's Rose
    Rosette Delizy

Souvenir de la Malmaison

Sister Elizabeth

• Related Discussions

Top Ten Roses

Q

Comments (131)
    What a Fun Thread! Although, I have no idea what are my top 10 favorites????? I have 125 rises recent count and about 10 coming…… & LOVE THEM ALL! Hmmmmmm ??????? Thank you, Rosie Friends, for sharing your fav lists. I sm looking at them…..great ideas to see what works best or is best for all of you and your plant zones. I love unique roses….. the more fragrant, frilly and gorgeous color -the better!!!!! I tend to love David Austins, Old Garden Roses, Meillands, Japanese roses, Kordes and many fragrant roses! I think if I could only have 10 favorites…… I’d griw 10, then switch them out for 10 more, then switch them out for 10 more….. and keep going….. What might be my first list of top 10? Can I have 15? 1. Eden 2. Mary Rose or Rouge de Parfum (Japanese) 3. Yolanda de Aragon 4. Madame Dubost 5. Bliss 6. Munstead Wood & WS2000? 7. Royal Palace, Japanese 8. Charles Darwin or Bring Me Sunshine? 9. Rosarie de Chatelet 10. Wedding Bells 11. Princess Kisha, Japanese 12. Cartonnage, Japanese 13. Miyab, Eustasia Vye, Jubilee Celebration, Mikoto, Georgia Peach, Domain de Chantilly or Juliet-undecided on a peach-all gorgeous! When mine bloom this season I can choose. 14. Effie, David Austin 15. Summers Romance I have many more favorires tgat couod he in top 10….. how can one really choose???? I love OGRs: Variegata di Bologna, Jacque Cartier, Mme Isaac Pereirre, La Reine, Comte de Chambord, Benny Lopez, Gloire de Ducher, & Honorine de Brabant!!!! I love Meillands: Yves Splash Charlotte, Yves Piaget & Frances Meilland, Orchid Romance., Kordes -Mme Anisette, DAs…..soooo many DAs I love, PAoK, And so many more roses…. My Japanese roses have not all bloomed yet and I just love these favorites…..ETSY photos: Princess Kisha (new growing in house) Cartonnage , Etsy photo, (new growing in house) Royal Palace, Etsy photo (I had a few sm new buds just before winter, it has this color & shape! Miyabi rose (new in fall) bloomed 2-3 times before wonter. This is my photo.. Mikoto, new in fall, ny photo, had a few blooms before winter. Effie, David Austin Wedding rose, ETSY PHOTO, new to my roses. I am growing over winter in house to plant in spring garden. Effie rose is named after Effie from the “Hunger Games,” movie…..golden hair snd golden attire…. LOL! Love it! I’m just in love with Effie rose…. hysterical Effie!
    ...See More

Your top ten roses - anything goes

Q

Comments (67)
    Here are the top performers in my relatively new rose garden, so far: Pink Cracker M. Tillier Mutabilis John Paul II (on Fortuniana) Mr. Lincoln (on Fortuniana) Europeana (on Fortuniana) Le Pactole Duchess Du Brabant Caldwell's Pink Alister Stella Grey Teasing Georgia (on Fortuniana) I'm sure that this list will change next year, as my Vintage Gardens bands mature. Also, I really don't expect the ones grafted onto Fortuniana to live very long and I will not be purchasing any more grafted roses. Reason: Graft separation/failure, too many of them have died.
    ...See More

Top Ten Blackspot Roses

Q

Comments (79)
    MDE Pierre Oger Bourbon Worst of the lot, all of my modern roses can get blackspot, but im not in a heavy pressure areas like some, usually my entire first flush is clean, then it comes on in degrees, the listed bourbon above is by far the worst, though I dont grow nearly as many roses as some of you. She also is by far the worst attractor of bugs... Its a wonder why I keep her at all =)... I do not spray, not out of defrence to our enviroment (which I probable should be) but becuase I have young children and they do not understand about chemicals, they get the concept not to eat plants, but when you tell them its ok to smell flowers, then all of a sudden tell them, NO you cant smell that one its too hard for them to grasp, its easier just to live with the blackspot for me... I am gradually starting to plant more Once bloomers for me though, they are much more resistent to blackspot than many of the modern roses... But again, My garden is clean for a month and half, its only when things get too dry and the humidity starts up in the latter half of summer. Silverkelt BTW Pierre Oger below it really is pretty flower despite everything else...
    ...See More

Top Ten Picks

Q

Comments (21)
    Have decided that ten just will not do has to be the top fifty at least... lol. visited Korths about a month ago and his seedling beds are FANTASTIC. Phil and his wife have some exciting new babies and some of the babies have babies. It all just takes your breath away. Just bought Painting the Roses Red... it's so wonderfully toothy. also Flame Resistant a new Hensley intro it positively glows with the orange veining. Sorry to say tho... I have contracted the deadly Daylily sickness, I have to stop looking cause I buy buy buy.
    ...See More
    8 years ago

Continuing on, First thou I would not mind mentioning that posting photos here is a pain, soooo slow.

4 - Gartendirektor Otto Line, I haven't a photo but trust me it's a very garden worthy rose. Returns each and every year for ten + years. Usually live cane after winter but not in polar vortex winters. Immensely huge trusses of little pink flowers all season. Great rose for my area.

5 - Flower Carpet Roses once established do very well here. Count as 5 because their all flower carpet. No black spot or mildew can get anthracnose but not bad. I have red, pink, pink supreme, scarlet, apple blossom and white. Excellent rose for my zone.

Spring photo of pink supreme

6 - Easter Basket is a beautiful rose and bush. The only negative for this rose is that it does not self clean other wise its perfect. When in full bloom scent wafts far from the bush. Lost my photos in my previous computer.

7 - My Hero has been dropped from the Easy Elegance line and replaced with Super Hero. Dropped because flowers do not fully open. It is however healthy as a horse, vigorous and always in bloom. I have mine in a further back position were unopened flowers do not bother me. Super Hero is new this year for me. Also looks like a fabulous rose. One note here, do not assume because a rose is an Easy Elegance or Lim Ping rose that all are disease resistant. This is not true and Lim Ping has not been with Bailey's Nursery for a long time. Ask first

Coming up in spring

8 - La Marne no negatives

9 - Easy Does It, All The Rage, Sweet Fragrance all count as 9 because their all in the same color range and the best I've found so far for my area. Please clue me in if someone has another that does as well. Easy Does It can get disease but if given enough sun has always kept it under control.

10 - Pomponella, Cream Veranda and Floral Fairy Tale all count as ten because their all Kordes. Only possible negative is that they can ball in very wet weather. I don't care they are very good roses.

10 - Double ten cause I just can't stop yet. New too my garden this year and last. Spectacular performance and health so far =

Lemon Fizz

My Girl

Flamingo Kolorscape

Fire Opal

Kardinal Kolorscape

Fuji

Jolie Veranda

Golden Fairy Tale - had this one before lost it in flooding. Fabulous rose

Super Hero

Campfire - destined for stardom

Phloxy Baby

Innocensia

Solero

8 years ago

The Faun - Had this rose for many years lost it in the flooding year. Then forgot it's name until mentioned by Ingrid. A very good rose here. Grew as a rounded shrub covered in bloom and now I can replace it. Uniform bloom even on side not facing sunlight and no disease. Thank you Ingrid

Homerun - A perfect single red rose bush. Have 5 of them in the garden.

• smithdale1z8pnw
    8 years ago

All of you have such beautiful roses,I can't include photos being technically inept but here is my list:

Mme Jules Bouche-white HT HMF says it blackspots but only a little here, marvellous fragrance

Darlow's Enigma-white Hybrid Musk, given enough space, it thrives

Marie Pavie-white HM still has many buds even after some sharp frosts

White Meidiland-shrub lovely blooms

Mme Plantier-white Hybrid Alba breathtaking in bloom

Seafoam-white shrub very prolific sturdy

Cl Pinkie- pink Polyantha flowers last a long time, great foliage

Cl Spray Cecile Brunner-pink Poly I don't care what HMF says, it's a house-eater but beautiful with a very long flowering, I think there are still a few on there now

Vif Eclat -med red HM fantastic, sturdy, floriferous rose

Terese Bugnet-pink Rugosa beautiful burgundy stems & a delicate pink flower

Moje Hammerberg-purple red Rugosa scent & flowers to die for

Ausonius-lilac pink HM still has flowers & is in part shade

Oops, that's 11, sorry about that.

Jane

8 years ago

I love polyanthas and wish there were more hardy disease resistant cultivars.

8 years ago

Patty, I'm thrilled I helped you rediscover The Faun. I've also had it before but it wasn't in a good spot and declined steadily. The youngster I have now seems extremely happy, and what a bloomer. Your La Marne is gorgeous, in my climate it was mostly a very dirty white, and others in hot, dry areas have had the same experience. Pink Supreme is the most darling rose. All your roses are beautiful.

Jane, you have a list of lovely roses. I've had Therese Bugnet in the past although it was too hot for it here. I have Marie Pavie and White Meidiland and know your other roses, except Ausonius, which I'll have to look up. I imagine your garden must be very pretty.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

This one is going to be tough for me to nail it down to 10 but here goes, in no particular order.

1---Souv.de la Malmaison

2---Compt de Chambrod

3---Pink Pet

4---Tiffany Lynn

5---Pierrine

6---Soroptimist International

7---Louise Estes

8---Brinessa

9---Belinda's Dream

10---Hannah Gorden

All of these have been in my garden since the late 1980's through the 1990's. They have been around for a good reason. I can always depend on them to make me happy. There are a bunch more but these just jumped up real quick.

• smithdale1z8pnw
    8 years ago

Patty, I too love the polys, you grow so many different roses but I wonder if you've tried Yesterday (Poly), it's a beautiful, happy rose here & HMF rates its' hardiness to 4B. Love your photos.

Ingrid, thanks for your kind words, my garden is a work in progress that I started 5 years ago, it's getting there. I do so admire your lovely garden especially the teas. I would love to grow them but I'm not sure any would work in my climate. Although my zone is 8, we just don't get the heat I believe they need in the summer.

Sara-ann, thanks for starting this thread, I do enjoy all the threads you've started even if I don't always contribute.

Jane

• kublakan
    8 years ago

Great thread Sara-Ann. This is the perfect time of the year for this, as most rose lovers are winding down their rose growing.

Here are my top ten up until today, lol (we know things will change):

1- Belinda's Dream***

2- Veteran's Honor***

3- Elina***

4- Moonstone***

5- Montezuma

6- Paradise

7- Mayor John Land

8- Pink/Red Intuition

9- Pop John Paul

10- Coretta Scott King

*** Denotes all stars for over five years

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Some great looking and sounding roses everyone, thanks for your contributions. After seeing everyone's roses it makes me realize that the best roses are the ones we're able to enjoy. Here are some of my best.

Belinda's Dream, this one is a great bloomer, and unless it is very wet the blooms are always pretty, very disease resistant, I love it.

Dublin Bay, blooms all season long, puts on a great spring flush..

Aloha, doesn't bloom quite as much as Dublin Bay, still a great rose, lovely fragrance.

Big Momma, not one of my favorites for blooms, but still a great rose on a disease resistant bush.

Sunsprite, love the blooms on this floribunda, I think it's a great rose, for the most part it's done very good for me.

Mme Isaac Pereire, I really love this beauty, every bloom is perfect.

Liebeszauber, a very good red rose, blooms almost continuously, the heat doesn't diminish the bloom size. In the fall they are very fragrant. Love it.

Tiffany, nothing bad to say about this rose, every bloom is perfect and fragrant, very disease resistant.

Julia Child, a very good rose.

Pink Peace, love this one for the blooms and the fragrance.

Some other great ones I have are,

Double Delight

Peace

Love Song

Zephirine Drouhin

La France (first year)

Paradise (first year)

Orchid Romance

Forgotten Dreams

Grande Amore (first year)

Memorial Day (first year)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    8 years ago

All around great in my garden

1. Mlle. Sombreuil- In my garden, I love everything about this rose.

2. Souvenir de la Malmaisson

3. Blush Noisette

4. White Pet

5. Angel Face

6. Love Song

7. Black Magic

8. Mary Rose

9. Munstead Wood

10. Memorial Day

Could make the list next year: La France, Maman Cochet, Grande Dame, Rose de Rescht

Lynn

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

I love these kinds of posts because they get you thinking, and each season the list changes for almost everyone im sure.

I have two lists because i have a "best performers" list of rises that do well for me, but those arent exactly my most favorite blooms. So, then, I have a list of my favorite blooms.

Heres my best (performers):

1. Easy Does It (photo for emphasis)

Dick Clark (always in bloom)

The shepherdess (austin)

Pat Austin

Love (always blooming)

Don Juan

Duchess De Brabant

Darcy Bussell

europeana

olympiad

and now my favorite blooms (even if they arent the best performers)

Dames De Chenonceau (my absolute fave)

Evelyn (not the most beautiful growth habit, but just gorgeous blooms)

Jubilee Celebration

Moon Stone

Secret

Crescendo

Chicago Peace

Nahema (she gets better with age and may soon be on the top list)

Belle Story

Veterans Honor (just the best formed red)

Belle Story :)

• debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
    8 years ago

Romaggi Plot Bourbon is one of my best roses. I planted it last year as a band and it took off like crazy. It's about 3-4 feet tall now and blooms constantly. Great rose.

Souvenir de la Malmaison is a great rose in my climate. Would never be without it.

Pope John Paul II; love this rose. I'm not a big HT lover but am in love with this rose.

Soncy; love yellow teas and it is beautiful

Mrs BR Cant is wonderful but probably too big for my yard, unfortunately.

Souvenir de Pierre Notting: because I love yellow teas.

Maman Cochet: what's not to love. Amazing blooms

Rosette Delizy: a wonderful tea

Kronprincess Viktoria : I almost forgot this wonderful rose. Very healthy and blooms constantly. Another one I would not be without.

Cinderella: because no one mentions her and she's such a trouper in my garden

I could mention many more!

8 years ago

Great balls of fire what gorgeous rose photos. Fun here looking them all up.

8 years ago

Teas have to be my most wanted class of roses ever. The incredible looks of grace and softness on a tough rugged plant. sigh

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I love reading lists too. It's such a good reference.

1. Fragrant Cloud

Tons of long lasting flowers.

Quick rebloom

2. Memorial Day

very fragrant

tons of flowers

scallopy edges

3. Ch-Ching

Never stops blooming.

4. Valencia

tons of blooms,

smell great

blooms last forever

awesome shape

5. Yves Piaget

6. Gemini

tons of blooms

blooms last forever

So photogenic

7. Peter Mayle

very fragrant

huge flowers

very tall

flowers last forever.

8. Pink Peace

9. Night Owl

Always in bloom

bees love this rose

Very cheerful, can be seen from very far away.

10. Chicago Peace

Maybe my favorite rose

Lots of flowers, last forever

Very photogenic, each rose is different

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Patty, I feel the same way about teas, they are beautiful. SoFL, you have some beautiful ones, the color of Pat Austin is breathtaking. Love your roses too Carol. I've enjoyed looking up several I'm not familiar with. Appreciate all of you.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Thanks Sara-Ann!

8 years ago

I'm loving this thread, both reading the lists and enjoying the gorgeous pictures. Please keep them coming!

I thought I'd add a few more pictures of the roses on my list:

The Faun, a shrub rose
    Le Vesuve, a tea rose

Mutabilis, a China

La France, the first hybrid tea

Potter and Moore, an older Austin

Sister Elizabeth, an Austin

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I've thought of getting Sister Elizabeth (if I could find it LOL) . It is so pretty!! Yours looks amazing!!! It's good to know it's a great rose. What is the scent like?

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

The list will change depending on what your goals are. Are you looking at exhibition roses? Garden roses? OGRs? There would be a top ten for each of those in my book.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wasn't necessarily looking for any type, just interested in knowing what roses people think are really good. However, listing the top ones in different categories would be interesting.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Great pics everyone!

8 years ago

Carol, it's been a while since I had Sister Elizabeth the first, and my new one is just now putting on leaves, and I honestly can't remember what it smells like. As I pointed out it's not a perfect rose and not considered one of the great Austins or even that popular. Some roses simply hit you at a visceral level and this, like Potter and Moore, is one of those for me.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Yes, I know what you mean. :)

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

My most favorite 10 roses among 150 fragrant OWN-ROOT varieties are:

11th-year own-root Comte de Chambord for best scent, 4 flushes per year, plus compact bush (doesn't occupy much room):

Versigny, for the best scent among orange roses & last long in the vase. It can't live more than 3 years in my zone 5a, but the scent is pure heaven.

Annie L. McDowell survives three of my zone 5a winter. It's thornless & small and one cluster can perfume the entire room with its lilac & musk scent. It's a constant bloomer if grown in a pot:

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Continue with my list of 10 most favorite among 150 fragrant own root varieties:

Firefighter died 3 times in my zone 5a since 2012, but I bought it the 4th time this year. It's worth it for 20+ blooms as 1st-year-own-root, constant blooming, and one bloom can perfume the entire room. It has the strongest scent among any red roses, beating both Barcelona and Munstead Wood. Below pic. is one branch, loaded with 4 blooms on a 1st-year own-root in a pot, pic. taken this August:

Below pics. showing my next 5th, 6th, and 7th favorites on the top 10: Left is Sweet Mademoiselle, right is Evelyn, and lowest red is W.S. 2000:

Only Evelyn can give 4" across bloom, and scent is way better than Abraham Darby. Ab. can blackspot if slow-drainage, but Evelyn is always healthy as 12th-year-own-root:

Below is 12th-year-own-root W.S. 2000. Its violets and old rose scent is way better and more constant than Rouge Royal. W.S. 2000 is a constant bloomer, versus Rouge Royal pauses between flushes. W.S. 2000 never blackspots, but Rouge Royal does.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Despite having 34 own-root Austin roses, the last 3 spots of my top 10 favorite roses are occupied by French and Old Garden roses. I grow roses for scents alone, and French roses & OGR beat Austin roses in scents and health:

Below 5th-year-own-root Princess Charlene de Monaco occupies #8 for its amazing scent of pear nectar (better than Radio Times' damask scent):

Below 8th-year-own-root Dee-lish occupies #9 on my list of 10 most favorite OWN-ROOT roses for its health, vigor, constant blooming, and strawberry-guava scent. The color is faded & less gaudy in my rock hard & alkaline clay:

Moonlight Romantica, 2nd year own-root rises up to the top 10 most favorite among my 150 fragrant roses, thanks to its amazing lemon and floral scent, stronger than Golden Celebration. Its health is amazing, and it doesn't have the octopus' canes and blackspots like GC:

Yolanda d'Aragon ties with Moonlight Romantica, but it's too early to tell since it's a 1st-year own-root. I'm impressed with its STRONGEST scent, beating Comte de Chambord, but the repeat is slow. The scent is so strong that it lingers on my face for 15 min. after sniffing, pure old rose scent. The quality of scent is better than Firefighter and any modern roses.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Oh, Straw!!!! Such BEAUTY!!! Your ALM and CdC take my breath away!! And your WS2000 blooms are show stoppers! Your Sweet Mademoiselle is scrumptious...what a color!! Thank you for showing these beauties!! :) :)

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Carol: I enjoy your pics. of your most favorite 10 listed above (Fragrant Cloud, Peter Mayle, Valencia, Yves Piaget, Ch-Ching, Chicago Peace, Pink Peace, Night Owl, Gemini, Memorial Day).

Are there any changes or recent additions to your most favorite 10? Thanks.

Years ago I would have more Austin roses among my most favorite 10, but I'm getting sick of Austin's long octopus' and very prickly canes, like below prickly canes of Queen Nefertiti as 3rd-year own-root. Blooms shatter quickly.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Straw - yes, my list has changed. My 10 most favorite roses are

1. Chartreuse de Parme - unfortunately, died last summer from the pH problems I created. Really strong fragrance, and it blooms a lot.

2. Nicole Carol Miller - right now it has 35 buds/flowers on it. The scent is sharp and wonderful.

3. Chandos Beauty - another that died. Best fragrance

4. Stainless Steel....another that died due to last summer's bloodbath.

5. Bishop's Castle - fabulous fragrance

6. Lasting Love - lovely fragrance

7. Parade Day - sharp fragrance

8. Perfume Breeze - climber - rosy fragrance.

9. White Licorice would be really good if it could survive the winter in the garage...tried it twice. Although one year that it died, my daughter left the garage door open on a really, really cold winter's day. May try again...fabulous rose!

10. Augusta Luise is going to be a favorite next year...I can tell. :) That wonderful rosey fragrance!!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

I can’t remember what was on my previous list but I am absolutely positive there are changes….cause there always are!

In no particular order my top ten best (not favorite)

1) Renae

2) Lady of Shalott

3) Cream Veranda

4) Princess Charlene de Monaco

5) Apricot Candy

6) State of Grace

7) Mel’s Heritage

8) At Last

9) Olivia

10) Desdemona

These were chosen because of health, rebloom and vigor in an organic garden.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Oursteelers - Mel's Heritage (I don't grow it)...but from what I've seen here...it's amazing...I can see why you chose it!

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Carol: Thank you for fantastic pics of your so many-blooms roses in pots. I wish I had bought Perfume Breeze as own-root like yours. Mine is grafted and it throws irregular octopus canes (typical of Dr.Huey-rootstock, a climber).

oursteelers 8B PNW What are your top 10 favorites (not best-performing) roses? Thanks.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Straw my top ten favorites would be chosen just because the blooms are so pretty they make all the work worthwhile.

In no particular order:

1) Madame Plantier

2) G Nabonnand

3) Cream Veranda

4) Evelyn

5) Aracata Pink Globe

6) Ambridge

7) Bishop’s Castle

8) Souv de Louis Amade

9) Renae

10) Sonia Rykiel

Boy was that hard!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Straw - that was Perfume Breeze as a new rose in July...it has since grown taller. It's on multiflora, I think.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Carol: Your roses in pots look great !! Your Perfume Breeze has way more blooms than mine in rock-hard clay.

oursteelers 8B PNW Thank you for your list of top ten favorites (Ambridge and Souv de Louis Amade are on my wish-list). My Sonia Rykiel's bloom and scent are exquisite, but it's a weak grower in my zone 5a. Evelyn gives 6 times more blooms per flush than Sonia Rykiel. Below left is Sonia Rykiel, right pink is Evelyn, and whites are Bolero. All would be top 10 favorites in scents:

Below is Sonia Rykiel bush, it doesn't throw long octopus canes like Austin roses, the growth is small and compact as own-root in my zone 5a.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Thanks, Straw!

I'm in love with your Sonia Rykiel ... especially the color in the vase!! Too bad it's not a great bloomer...although if I ever find one...I'd probably still get one based on your pics and description of fragrance strength. :) :)

• strawchicago z5
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

oursteelers 8B PNW Are there any changes to your top-ten blooming, listed below? Thank you (with my note next to your list)

1) Renae (Jess in South Africa posted a fantastic pic. of Renae)

2) Lady of Shalott (Should put mine in full-sun)

3) Cream Veranda (Saw that loaded with blooms at Home Depot, kick myself for not buying)

4) Princess Charlene de Monaco (Mine blooms until frost)

5) Apricot Candy (best looking rose at nearby rose park)

6) State of Grace (Its parent Above All blooms great in my garden)

7) Mel’s Heritage (Lisa Adams loves it too)

8) At Last (Jim's bush is impressive)

9) Olivia (You mean Olivia Austin??)

10) Desdemona (on my wish list since rabbits kept eating Marie Pavie).

Above are Tina's top 10 bloomers.

From Straw: My top 10 bloomers are, in random order below:

1) Pat Austin - loaded with blooms despite in 3 hours of sun right before frost in Oct.

2) Dee Lish - likes my heavy wet clay, always have cut-blooms for the vase

3) Sweet Mademoiselle - blooms non-stop since it's right next to the rain-spout, a waterhog

4) Augusta Luis - a blooming machine with such thick & short canes

5) Purple Lodge - small blooms but very fragrant, always blooming, and I like the color.

6) Radio Times - always have blooms despite getting 4 hours of sun (even less in fall)

7) Carding Mill - Brendan who lived in zone 5 New York said it's his best bloomer too.

8) W. S. 2000 - always have bloom if well fertilized with Tomato-Tone

9) Mary Magdalene - the repeat is very fast, and abundant in blooms.

10) Poseidon - non-stop blooming and loaded with 30+ buds before frost.

rosecanadian and anyone else: what are your top 10 bloomers versus your top 10 favorite singular blooms?

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

It seems so long ago that my roses were really doing well. But, let's see....I'll list ones that I've had before...although my memory may not be that great...I may miss ones that are wonderful. And all are in no particular order. :) :)

1. Perfume Breeze...rose has charm and holds itself nicely.

2. Sweet Delight - fabulous fragrance that is always there.

3. Grande Dame

4. White Licorice

5. Parade Day

6. Valencia

7. Chartreuse de Parme

8. Queen of Elegance

9. Perfume Factory

10. Anne Marie

Top favorite blooms

1. Chartreuse de Parme

2. Valencia

3. Queen of Elegance

4. Chandos Beauty

5. Nicole Carol Miller

6. Paradise Found (my avatar picture)

7. Chicago Peace

8. Pink Peace

9. Sweet Delight (this rose has it all...including fragrance)

10. Stainless Steel (melts my heart)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 months ago

My top 10 are roses that make me smile and grab my camera

in mo particular ordet

1. Munstead Wood

2. Our anniversary

3. Easy Does It

4. Memorial Day

5. Prairie Sunrise

6. The Fawn

7. Day Breaker

8. Crimson Glory

9. Kismet

10. Charles De Gaulle

I do have lots of new one that could make the list next time

Charles with The Fawn behind him.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    6 months ago

I think I would have to replace State of Grace with St Cecelia. State of Grace had a very unhealthy year! I still like it but wouldn’t feel right saying it wa ls a healthy rose. Didn’t seem to affect the bloomability though.

• strawchicago z5
    6 months ago

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Kismet is constant blooming in both rose parks here. Rose parks display only the constant blooming ones, and they move out the entire bed Abraham Darby (spring bloomer & need shade) to make room for the constant-bloomers.

The ones that Patty in Illinois mentioned are also grown in rose parks in my Chicagoland.

Easy Does it is mentioned by 3 people here as top-10, Memorial Day is also mentioned by Carol, Munstead Wood is mentioned by 3 people, Veteran's Honor is mentioned by 2 other people besides me. I love Veteran's Honor cherry-scent in cold weather:

Veteran's Honor is a better bloomer than Munstead Wood since the blooms stay forever on the bush. I can see my Veteran's Honor 2 houses away, but I can't see my Munstead Wood (blooms are smaller). With its large & shiny leaves, Veteran's Honor prefers heavy clay, and blooms last 6+ days in the vase.

Munstead Wood has more nasty prickles, uglier bush, but it's the first to bloom in May in my zone 5a, and the last to bloom in November. It needs full sun, and my garden is too shady:

Munstead Wood is more photogenic in bouquets than Veteran's Honor. Upper red is The Dark Lady, and lowest reds are Munstead Wood.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 months ago

I need to also add Bolero. what a terrific rose

• rosecanadian
    6 months ago

Kristine - me too...there are some that could be fabulous. We'll see next year. That's such a wonderful picture of your Charles!!

Straw - that bouquet is da bomb!! :) :) Such gorgeous roses!!! Your pictures really show what you mean about Munstead Wood and VH. VH looks so much prettier on the bush than MW.