SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 35

zen_man
8 years ago

Hello everyone,

Welcome to this ongoing message thread. Once again, the previous part of this continuing series, It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 34,
has well over 100 messages and may be causing slow message loading problems because of that,
so we are continuing the series here for yet another fresh start.

The same guidelines apply here. Anything remotely related to zinnias
is fine. (Or feral cats.) As always, if you have any related pictures,
you are invited to post them.

Fall will give way to Winter in a few weeks. For most of you, gardening will consist of new seed catalogs and perhaps some new plans for your 2016 gardens. I will do all that, too. But I am now also in my indoor zinnia gardening phase. This is a current picture of some of my indoor gardening zinnia seedlings.

They should be coming into bloom in early January. Hopefully I will do a better job of re-potting them to larger pots than I did last Winter. I actually had some zinnias bloom and set seeds in those 3.25-inch orchid pots. At a very minimum, I hope to get all of my breeder zinnias into 5-inch square pots this time. And I hope to make better use of my 8-inch pots this Winter. Last Winter only one breeder zinnia (I29) made it into an 8-inch pot, and it did embarrassingly well there.

Winter tends to be a slow time here in the Annuals form, so I am not expecting a flurry of activity here for a few months, but I intend to post progress reports from time to time on my indoor zinnia activities. And, of course, if any of you have any comments, questions, or pictures to post, they are always welcome. More later.

ZM

Comments (106)

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" Your RDs have a name in the gardening community. "

Razzle Dazzle Gaillardias have been in the gardening community for quite some time. I think that only a very small segment of the gardening community is aware of my RD zinnias at the present time. But the Razzle Dazzles are a "different look" in zinnias, and I think they do have a future as a zinnia strain, particularly after they get larger blooms, better plants, and a wider color range.

It is rather interesting now to be crossing RDs with other zinnia flower types, to see what is possible from recombining their genes. That adds spice to my zinnia hobby.

" Better get that strain stabilized and start marketing! :) "

I take note of your "Smiley" at the end of that statement. But I do grow zinnias just for fun, and I want to postpone the commercial aspects to years in the future. And that postponement is not artificial -- there is a lot of progress that needs to be made before these babies are "ready for prime time." And sometimes I can be a bit "pokey". More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - yes, I was ribbing you, but it's true that the guy was referring specifically to Razzle Dazzle Zinnias. Must have been following your thread, but not very closely, obviously.

Hey, did yall get that big ice/snow/thunderstorm that passed through here day before yesterday? Wind blowing mostly from the east, which means that our woodstove sometimes can start to smoke like crazy. It was all kinda scary, to tell the truth. All sorts of trees down around the area I noticed when we were out and about today. We only lost power for an instant fortunately. Just a dusting of snow today, but more coming next week according to the weather forecast.

- Alex

• Related Discussions

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 24

Q

Comments (103)
    Hi Alex, " I'd certainly be interested in finding an adaptor that worked! I guess I'll have to look into it all again, unless you can backtrack and give me the links other than Wiki that told you about those adaptors. " Well, I think there is a really good chance that the adapter I originally linked to would work. I'll repeat the link here. It is the Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Canon FD, FL Lens to Nikon Camera, for Nikon D7100, D7000, D5200, D5100, D3100, D300, D300S, D200, D100, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90, D40, D40x, N70s, D80, D800, D800e, D4, D3, D2, D1, D300, D300s, and D200. You can read the product description and then read the 26 customers reviews that Amazon has published for the product. Amazon has a good reputation for letting you return a product if it doesn't work for you or turns out to be defective. With no hassle they let me return a telescopic sight for a rifle that didn't live up to my expectations. I think if that adapter didn't work for you that you could return it. "I swear I looked at all that stuff, and had been convinced the adaptors wouldn't work, but I'd love to be proven wrong." Well, at the time you checked, there may not have been an adapter to use Canon FD lenses on Nikon SLRs. That adapter includes compatibility with Nikon D7100, D7000, D5200 cameras, which are relatively "late model" cameras. And almost all the lens adapters on Amazon are designed to adapt Nikon lenses for use on Canon cameras. Only the one I linked, and another that was out of stock, were to adapt Canon lenses for use on Nikon cameras. "Wait a minute, maybe it's the macro-lens I should be checking..." You should verify that it is a Canon FD or FL lens, and that it is in serviceable condition. " I have a scanner that will scan negatives, and I had them develop the film, but not print it, since I could save it digitally from the scanner." Impressive. So you also can extract digital images from all those old film negatives. I have an old Epson Perfection V750 Pro that can scan transparencies or opaque material. A good many years ago I bought a Stereo Realist camera and took a bunch of stereo slides. I have scanned a few, and made large prints from them for my sister, but I should take the time to scan a bunch more of them. It has three selectable scanning resolutions, 4800 dpi, 6400 dpi, and 9600 dpi. The higher the resolution, the slower the scan. And I use the maximum resolution on my stereo slides, because each side of a slide is only 23 x 24 mm. Not much to work with. Fortunately, Kodachrome is almost grainless, and I can get decent 8x10s from a stereo slide. I have some software (onOne's Perfect Resize) that could let me go bigger, but I haven't tried that yet. I have been thinking about getting a beam splitter for my Nikon D3200 so I could take some 3D pictures with it. And maybe some 3D video. It would be "cool" to take some 3D footage of a wooly worm eating away at one of my zinnias. Maybe not. My zinnia gardens have a surprisingly diverse ecology, with a lot of opportunities for close-up photography and videography. More later. ZM (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)
    ...See More

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 34

Q

Comments (115)
    Hi Alex, " How is the indoor garden going, ZM? Any especially outstanding recombinants you have to share? " My indoor garden is just getting started. I have a few seedlings getting their first true leaves, but many are just in the cotyledon stage. My plantings so far have focused on getting F2 recombinants with the Extreme Uproll feature, and a few choice exotic specimens. My further indoor plantings will look forward to what I want to accomplish next year outdoors. Next year I intend to apply some lessons learned this year. For the last few years I have been planting standardized beds 4 feet wide with four rows spaced 16 inches apart.Those rows in that picture have been recently weeded. I don't like to stoop over to weed, and kneeling is not my favorite thing either, Although sometimes kneeling is necessary in some hand weeding situations. This last year I did as much weeding as I could from a seated position using a little adjustable chair.My son avoided a lot of weeding in his tomatoes and peppers by laying down landscape cloth. That seemed to work well for him, although he found that weeds could penetrate the cheaper grade of cloth. However the 15-year cloth cost a bit more, but worked well. He grew his tomatoes and peppers in cages. Next year he is considering the use of Cattle Panels for tomato support. I will continue to use small cages for my breeder zinnia specimens.I didn't consider the use of landscape cloth in my rows, because they are so close together. For next year I am considering omitting the middle two rows and just have two rows 4 feet apart. That might make landscape cloth feasible for me, and even if I don't use the cloth, I will have better accessibility for weeding the two-row beds with 4 feet between the rows. My strategy for now is to flesh out my plans for next year's zinnia garden (including what kinds of zinnias to grow) and then use my indoor project to supply the seeds to support those plans. Your Sunflower Path and House look very inviting. Wider might be better. It looks like you have a good variety of tall sunflowers. More later. ZM
    ...See More

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 53

Q

Comments (103)
    Hello four, " "Modified", that is. Do they have nectar? " Some of them have nectar, the ones I have observed with butterflies, skippers, bees, or day-flying moths feeding on them. I have no way of knowing whether my indoor specimens have nectar or not. I think they probably do have nectar. Just no butterflies to confirm that. " If the florets have a reasonable amount of nectar, then the volume of nectar in that one flower would be a butterflies' bonanza. " I have taken a few tubular zinnia petals apart, and the amount of nectar I find in each petal is relatively small. I would not describe it as a drop, but something more like a "micro-drop". Zinnias always attract a bunch of butterflies and such, but I think there are probably other flowers that have more volume of nectar. I am of the opinion that you have to be careful what you wish for. I still remember that freakish zinnia bloom that had so much nectar, and the tiny ants that were attracted to it in such scary numbers. ZM
    ...See More

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 55

Q

Comments (121)
    Zenman - lol. I don't know about expertise, but I did mention the process of denuding seeds to expose embryos a couple of times on daylily sites at facebook, and received about zero comment back. I suppose the input coming from a "newbie" like myself was ... what word to use?... presumptuous - that's it. I am definitely a very small fish in a giant ocean of professionals. Ah well, you're the one who taught me first to do it, and I saw that it was a helpful technique to hasten germination, and in some cases, allow germination when the seed coat was being especially resistant. And I have used it for some daylily seeds, and feel it has helped. Not always, you understand, but enough to make it a viable option in my book. Glad to hear you are getting some rain. They have been forecasting rain for us, but little has fallen. The various spring-marshy areas that are usually swimming with overflow at this time of year, are almost dry. I am a bit concerned about this presaging a summer drought; but maybe the rains are just delayed. I could certainly handle the rain coming during the heat of summer instead of now. :) Let me know if you are starting a new thread - I may chime in from time to time. Always enjoy seeing what new things you come up with. Alex
    ...See More
  • zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" Hey, did yall get that big ice/snow/thunderstorm that passed through here day before yesterday? "

It was just a cold rain by the time it got to us. Essentially no lightning. We did get a lot of wind with it, but, hey, this is Kansas, and we get wind with pretty much everything. We were on propane heat, so no smoke reversal down the chimney. We get lots of smaller limbs down after every storm. We have an impressive brush pile where we put the limbs. This Spring I will probably put some of that brush through our shredder-chipper.

The shredder-chipper has been a pleasure to work with. I have several different sized screens for its hammermill, so I can choose the consistency of the product I produce. For really finely divided stuff I use the quarter-inch screen.

This is one of my current Woollies that is a bit more colorful than the average for Woollies.

I will probably remove most of its petals to expose its stigmas for cross pollination. The Woollies themselves aren't so remarkable, but I hope that they have the ability to make changes in zinnias that they are crossed with. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - once again I have chipper-envy. Sigh. Only in my dreams.

13 degrees this morning when I woke up, but the really cold day predicted is Saturday, or more properly, Sunday morning when we supposedly drop below 0*. [ASIDE: why do the weather sites do that - list the low as actually on the day before? Why not list the temps as they occur: the low in the morning of the true date, and the high later in the day? Presumably to give you a heads-up on what to expect in the morning, but it's confusing and irritating. I'm always flipping ahead to the next day and checking the graphs to make sure. Add this to the list of THINGS THAT IRRITATE ALEX]. The good news is that they keep shifting the projected temps up. I'm doubting now that we will even hit zero. Hoping, anyway.

I have put in my order for propagation mix to the Farm & Garden Supply (so glad I found a local operation that will order for me); I have seeds winter-sowed outside and some in the fridge. All my seeds have come in from my catalog orders. Will go today to buy some lumber for the installation of the new indoor nursery area - getting excited about starting some seeds under lights!

Show us some more pics of your current blossoms, please. Any new bedheads?

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" Why not list the temps as they occur: the low in the morning of the true date, and the high later in the day? "

They should do that. I think TV Weather Girls are picked more for how fetching they look in a dress rather than their detailed knowledge of weather issues.

On the subject of zinnias, I am becoming more aware of the plants themselves, in addition to their more obvious bloom characteristics. Professional zinnia breeders seem to believe that long slender sharp leaves are superior to, or would be superior to, the more usual broader blunter zinnia leaf shapes. There is actual corroboration of that opinion in this link: Zinnia leaves that are long and narrow are desirable.

Incidentally, you might want to explore the book in that link as much as it is accessible, because it is one of the more authoritative zinnia references. I have owned that book for several years. It is expensive, but I considered it an investment in my hobby. It covers the breeding of many different flowers.

Anyhow, thanks to the magic of multi-hybrid recombinance, I do have a few plants with those long slender sharp "spear point" leaves.

I do plan to designate plants as breeders that have those "good" leaves.
    That last one has three leaves near the bud, but I don't give that one credit for being a "threesie" because the lower leaf arrangement is conventional. But I am paying attention to slender sharp leaves.
    The majority of my indoor zinnias have conventional leaves, so I have a long ways to go to get "good" leaves on all of my "good" zinnias.

Our weather was semi-mild yesterday afternoon, so I was able to get in some outdoor pot washing. I use the garden hose with a jet nozzle and a concrete builders block as a pot holder to do a "rough clean" of my pots, and I finish them up indoors in 5-gallon buckets of soapy water and rinse water. It's not too different from dish washing. Incidentally, we wash our dishes by hand -- this rural farmhouse did not come equipped with a built-in dishwasher. More later. Take a look at that book.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM -

Incidentally, you might want to explore the book in that link as much as
    it is accessible, because it is one of the more authoritative zinnia
    references. I have owned that book for several years. It is expensive,
    but I considered it an investment in my hobby.

Looks like the book to have, but expensive - yes. Cheapest copy I see is a used pb for $65. I will keep my eyes open for it while book buying; you'd be surprised at the stuff that suddenly appears for us once we are aware of it.

In the meantime, I will used the tried and true method of "just do it and see what happens". I've got a bit of experience now with the zinnias, which will stand me in good stead when approaching these others. Would like to have had some advice on poppies, but will try it different ways - emasculating the seed parent before the pollen is ripe, for instance. It's easy to see the male and female parts on them, after all. Pansies and petunias I may resort in the beginning to pulling petals off so I can see better what I'm doing. Thank goodness I've got the OptiVisor.

So - let's get this party started!

BTW - never had a dish washer here either. Happily, I have a kitchen window which allows me to watch the wildlife (mostly cats and birds). And this year there will be a garden right outside my window - woo hoo!

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" Would like to have had some advice on poppies... "

I don't know of any book that covers breeding poppies. Tychonievich's book, Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener, covers poppy flower anatomy on pages 52-54. Do you have his book?

" Pansies and petunias I may resort in the beginning to pulling petals
    off so I can see better what I'm doing. Thank goodness I've got the
    OptiVisor. "

Welch's book, Breeding New Plants and Flowers, has a chapter on Pansies and Violas. The Flower Breeding and Genetics book has a whole chapter on Petunias. (Petunia seeds are too freakin' tiny for me to work with.) As you mentioned, with a little practical experience you will be well ahead of the books.

" Happily, I have a kitchen window which allows me to watch the wildlife... "

Our kitchen window over the sink where we wash our dishes also has a good view of our main garden and a lot of scenery beyond it.

This is one of my indoor zinnias that shows the influence of several factors in its flower form.

Unfortunately, its leaves are not narrow and long. A closeup of the bloom:
    Actually, I am not sure what genes are at work on those raggedy petal ends. They are not classic "toothy". More later. More pots to wash and re-potting to do.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - I'd call that one the Raggedy Ann - I like it! Those long narrow leaves are attractive to me, also - maybe you can breed some onto the Raggedy Anns.

Have gone looking at books; I see at eBay a used copy of Breeding Ornamental Plants edited by the Callaways that looks interesting. Do you have this one, and can recommend it? Also Welch's Breeding New Plants and Flowers that you mentioned is available - of the two can you make a comment? I'm more interested in the mechanics of the cross rather than theory. And I can grow things from seed fairly well without further instruction, so not particularly interested in that. And I have no desire to market anything, but wouldn't mind other thoughts on record-keeping which the Callaway edition includes. BTW - eBay prices on the Anderson book are even higher than what I see at Amazon. Freaking book pirates! It's one of the downfalls of the new computer-age bookselling trade that I truly HATE. Too many people selling that know nothing about books and only care about the money. Glad I got into the business before all this, so I got to experience what "true" bookselling was all about.

Deer! I forgot to mention I see a lot of deer out the kitchen window. They're out there now pawing up the snow. Lucky, though - it was 6* this morning, which is better than the minus 1* that was predicted. Temps should go up gradually from here. Very light snow at the moment. One set of my hybrid daylily seeds are starting to split their coats in the fridge. Need to get the plant shelves built!

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

I very rarely see deer in our garden through the kitchen window, but do see their footprints in the garden weekly. Some are very deep, so I guess some of those deer must weigh a lot. Their incursions are probably nocturnal.

" I see at eBay a used copy of Breeding Ornamental Plants edited by the
    Callaways that looks interesting. Do you have this one, and can
    recommend it? "

I do have it. I bought it used many years ago. Mine was in perfect shape, and even came with a library jacket. Its plant coverage is limited to African Violets, Amaryllis, Ornamental Aroids, Camellias, Daffodils, Daylilies, Gesneriads, Hostas, Kalmias, Lilacs, Magnolias, Oaks, Penstemons, Rhododendrons & Azaleas, and Siberian Irises. The Callaways wrote the first two chapters, Genetics and its Applications and Plant Breeding--Practical Matters, and Dorothy Callaway collaborated with Ted Petit on the Breeding Daylilies chapter, but the other plant-specific chapters are written by individual experts. The book is illustrated, including some full color photos.

" Also Welch's Breeding New Plants and Flowers that you mentioned is
    available - of the two can you make a comment? I'm more interested in
    the mechanics of the cross rather than theory. "

Welch's book is much "skinnier" than the Callaways book, but Welch's covers a wider variety of plants, including African Violets, Aquilegias, Begonias, Chrysanthemums, Clematis, Daffodils and Tulips, Dahlias, Delphiniums, Fuchsias, Gladioli, Heathers, Irises, Lilies, Lupins, Pansies and Violas, Pelargoniums (Geraniums), Phlox, Pinks and Carnations, Primulas, Roses, and Sweet Peas. It also has a section on Fruit and Vegetables covering Potatoes, Tomatoes, Strawberries, Soft Fruits, Heathland Berries, Red-, Black- and Whitecurrants and Gooseberries (I love gooseberry pie and so did my Dad), Hard Fruits, and Vegetables. There is also a section on Shrubs.

Both Welch's book and the Callaway's book do a decent job of describing and showing the mechanics of crossing, including many photos and diagrams. The Anderson book has no coverage of mechanics. It is written for professionals who presumably are experienced and expert at the mechanics, or have people working for them who have those skills.

" BTW - eBay prices on the Anderson book are even higher than what I see
    at Amazon. Freaking book pirates! It's one of the downfalls of the new
    computer-age bookselling trade that I truly HATE. "

Amen to that. And you have to watch Amazon on the third party offerings. Occasionally you will see an out-of-print book that has a price that is 10 or even a hundred times the original price. Amazon should do a much better job of policing their site. Those inflated prices "imply" collectors value, but in many cases they are just used books offered in a "sucker" deal. Some of the most egregious offerings that I have seen have been in the subject field of Tissue Culture.

My little Whirligig variant now has side blooms. This is one of them.

You can't see it in that photo, but some of its stigmas have three arms. I like stuff like that. More later. My indoor zinnia project keeps me busy. But I really enjoy working under bright fluorescent lights. It keeps my spirits high.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - wow! I really love that whirligig variant! The colors are wonderful, paired with the unique form. Looking forward to getting going SOON with my own garden.

Well, none of the books sound like exactly what I want, so unless I see an actual copy that convinces me, I suppose I will hold off for now. Rather save my money for buying things I know are what I want. I've got some general genetics books that I have been reading: Principles in Horticulture by E. Denisen and Plant Breeding and Genetics in Horticulture by C. North. Pretty dry stuff, but still useful. It's possible that Denisen is the same guy who published the propagation manuals I used to own - that gave all the low down on germination percentages in whatever conditions and after whatever storage. Sold my copies to a customer who came in asking specifically for them. Good info, but I don't really need them now, and she did.

Well, gotta go. Later - Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

And we have first germination! My sempervivum seeds that I bought for the little rock garden area have germinated in the fridge. They are now transferred from the paper towel to plastic 6-pack cells. Doing nicely; had been a little nervous about starting anything so tiny on the paper toweling (though I've done it before - that's why i was nervous!), but decided if there was a problem, I'd just cut the paper towel into squares and plant them without trying to move the seeds. No problem moving them as it turned out since I caught them so soon.

My new plants shelves are in place now, and I am very excited about it. There's room for 12 flats, the flats being those plastic storage bins that are 23" x 16-1/4" x 6". Can't tell you right off how many pots that will hold, but I know from memory that they hold 14 6-packs or 40 (or less, depending on size) of the styrofoam cups I prefer to use for transplanting up. That's room for a lot of plants! And another plus is that there is ample room between the lights and the shelves so that I can start out elevating the flats with books or whatever to get them close to the lights, and then gradually remove the "booster seats" as the plants grow. The bottom level has a good 21" from ground to lights. And - further plus++ - either or both of the two bottom shelves could be removed if I wanted to have very tall plants. Maybe I'll get some zinnias started ver-r-ry early; get in an extra generation. :)

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Alex,

It sounds like you are off to a great start with your indoor seed starting. It's interesting that you germinated Sempervivum seeds on paper toweling in your fridge. Your "booster seats" method of adjusting the distance from the seedlings to the fluorescent tubes is interesting. I do it the opposite way, and have my fluorescent fixtures on chains with S-hooks, so that I can raise the lights as the seedlings grow. This is a picture of one of my "conventional" indoor zinnia blooms.

Its coloration is interesting. It seems to have some pigment in micro-dots. You can see that better in the enlarged version. Nothing at all like the Peppermint zinnias. I wonder if that is genetic.

My son and I have been putting up some trellises made of cattle panels. I will be growing some pole beans and Costata Romanesco zucchini squash on them. One objective is to pick some squash blossoms for cooking and eating purposes. I like squash blossoms dipped in a tempura batter and deep fat fried. This year we will experiment with easier ways to prepare them, probably in a conventional frying pan.

The weather here is Spring like. We will be putting up some more trellises this afternoon. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - I'm partial to your so-called "conventional" bloom forms. Don't look like your grandmother's zinnias to me, though - ha!

Yeah, it was a surprise to me to find the sempervivums actually germinating in the refrigerator. I figured it would work as it normally does - you give them a chilling and then after they have been out for awhile in the warmth, they start to sprout. They've about doubled in size now, but as they are still only about the size of a pin-head, you can see they are still pretty tiny.Have to watch for damping-off.

I used to love tempura, though I've sort of stopped cooking things which are deep-fried in oil. Somehow I never got into the squash blossoms; I'm more a broccoli/cauliflower fan. Needs a very light batter not to overwhelm the delicate blossoms - how do you make your batter? BTW, have always used my cast-iron skillets and dutch oven for most everything except soups or baking stuffs. Even for popcorn - makes great popcorn, but we only get to have it twice a year now right before our dental appointments. :) This was at our dentist's suggestion; she said she'd set this up with another popcorn-loving patient some years back. Eat all you want no more than a week before the visit, so that she can pick all the remains out of your teeth before a problem develops! It has made popcorn a very special treat, believe me.

Are those cattle-panels going to be moveable? Otherwise, will you not be rotating your crops? Crop rotation is fairly important, I feel. Of course, you can grow most anything vertically, so you could still rotate things even if the panels stayed in place. Just curious.

Here's a view out our kitchen window - using the telephoto, of course.

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

That's a great view out your kitchen window, courtesy of a very good telephoto lens.

" Needs a very light batter not to overwhelm the delicate blossoms - how do you make your batter? "

I don't make the batter, my son does. So far it has been just eggplant slices. I'm unsure of his exact recipe. It involves some kind of special flour, rice flour I believe. He mentioned something about carbonating the water and chilling it. I think the squash blossoms are going to cause some further evolution of his battering recipe and technique. I anticipate quite a bit of trial-and-error. My Mother used to refer to that as "By guess and by golly".

" I used to love tempura, though I've sort of stopped cooking things which are deep-fried in oil. "

I know there are health concerns about oils in the diet. Olive oil is supposed to be OK, although its use in deep fat frying is questionable, due to its smoke point being lower than peanut oil. I am anticipating we will be experimenting with "shallow fat" cooking with Olive oil in a frying pan. Some of the healthy diet guidelines seem to be subject to shifting. Eggs were a no-no, and now they are coming back into vogue. Cholesterol was bad, but now it develops your brain needs lots of it.

" Even for popcorn - makes great popcorn, but we only get to have it twice
    a year now right before our dental appointments. :) This was at our
    dentist's suggestion; ...so that she can pick all the remains out of your
    teeth before a problem develops! "

There is no question that popcorn creates a tooth brushing challenge. I have found that a modern flexible dental "floss" like Johnson & Johnson REACH Total Care is far better than any dental floss I have used before. It is made of some kind of polymer instead of floss fibers, so it can't create "fur ball" problems. It can break if it gets in a jam, unlike some dental tapes. It is flat like a tape, and has micro ridges to snag particles. I suggest you give it a try. It comes in several Listerine "flavors". I am currently using "Fresh Mint". I also use a Water Pik (on a gentle setting) and mouthwash. I am not a big fan of popcorn, because all of it has way too many hulls for my taste. Eventually modern technology will achieve the "impossible" goal of hull-less popcorn. Puffed wheat and puffed rice have much less hulls. So, maybe, puffed corn? But less messy and fake than "Corn Puffs".

" Are those cattle-panels going to be movable? Otherwise, will you not be
    rotating your crops? Crop rotation is fairly important, I feel. "

Well, I don't rotate crops in my zinnia beds, but I do amend the soil each year. There may actually be more rotation on the "permanent" cattle panels. I can switch between vining pole beans (a legume which I intend to inoculate) and other vining things, like vining squash. And, who knows? Maybe some day I will come up with a zinnia that vines. More later.

ZM (not associated with any product or company mentioned)

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - dang! Now you make me want some tempura. I do have some cauliflower in the crisper - hmmmm... No rice flour around, but I have some white pastry flour which is fairly light. I used to add ice cubes to the batter, but I bet I've got some club soda I could put outside in the brand-new eight inches of snow we just got last night. Shouldn't take long to chill it. Didn't take long for me.

Some of the healthy diet guidelines seem to be subject to shifting. Eggs
    were a no-no, and now they are coming back into vogue. Cholesterol was
    bad, but now it develops your brain needs lots of it.

Ha! Makes me think of the old Woody Allen movie "Sleeper":

Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."
    Dr. Aragorn:(chuckling)
    Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.
    Dr. Melik:
    You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?
    Dr. Aragorn:
    Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.
    Dr. Melik:
    Incredible.

Personally, I'm hoping the hot fudge part is true.

I have found that a modern flexible dental "floss" like Johnson &
    Johnson REACH Total Care is far better than any dental floss I have used
    before.

Actually I use DenTek Slim Brushes more often than the floss - my dentist finally got me hooked. They're piks with little brushes on the end, and slim enough to fit between most of my teeth. Still need the floss for some areas. There are other brush piks, but these are the only ones skinny enough for me. But even with these, I still had one of those nasty hulls stuck way back in a pocket behind a tooth last dentist visit. And sorry, but no "puffed corn" will do - no substitute for the real thing.

There may actually be more rotation on the "permanent" cattle panels. I
    can switch between vining pole beans (a legume which I intend to
    inoculate) and other vining things, like vining squash.

Yeah, that's true - you can switch where you plant stuff. And as for the zinnias, I've never heard mention of it's being necessary to move flowers around, other than asters that are prone to yellows. Haven't done much with them, so I'm not sure what causes the yellows, but I have heard it can get in the soil and ruin future aster crops.

Well, going to take it easy today. Was just out shoveling snow this morning from around the ferals' feeding stations, and I'm feeling it.

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

I made a note in my journal about the DenTek Slim
    Brushes. I'll keep my eye out for them and give them a try. That excerpt
    from the Woody Allen movie was hilarious. And, yes, hot fudge on ice
    cream is at the top of my "food pyramid", along with chocolate malts.

With
    respect to crop rotation and zinnias, I would do it if I had the space
    to spare, but I don't anticipate increasing the size of our present
    garden, simply because "my hands are full" with my present garden. I do
    hope to increase the scope of my composting activities.

We had a
    brief snow flurry last evening, but not enough for an accumulation. I
    think it is supposed to hit 70 this weekend. I'll be doing some
    in-garden work then. Our trellises are up, but I want to incorporate
    some soil amendments under them and work them in, so that they will be
    ready for Spring planting.I am still using tubular specimens as
    indoor breeders, by exposing stigmas via petal "surgery". I hope to
    further improve the color of the outside of the petal tubes, and of
    course increase the bloom size as much as possible.

I judge the tubulars not so much by their present appearance, but by their potential for developing "different" zinnia flower forms when crossed with other forms. More later. Still more re-potting to do.

ZM

• gltrap54
    8 years ago

Just givin' a shout out to my south neighbor ZM! Starting Magellan Mix this season, love these guys..... Been sans zinnias for a few years due to the encroaching timber from the Kansas River limiting my sun..... Keep up the good work ZM!

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi gltrap,

" Been sans zinnias for a few years due to the encroaching timber from the Kansas River limiting my sun.... "

Is any of that encroaching timber something you could take a chainsaw to? When we lived in Maine it was like a cool weather rain forest. Complete with Black flies. I got a "good" chainsaw and used it to cut a hole in the sky (which was full of trees). That created an unlimited supply of firewood, which we used a lot of, and still had a surplus. The terrain was sloping, so my garden was on a terrace of my own making. I used some of the surplus wood to create modest retaining walls for my garden. Some of my zinnias are visible in that picture.

Fortunately here in this part of Kansas we have a "big sky" and I have had limited need for my chain saw. But I have cut up a few dead downed trees for firewood. We have a lot of creeks in this area and they all run through wooded areas, which serve as game preserves for all sorts of wildlife. Bears and moose, among other creatures, were common in Maine. No bears or moose here in Kansas, but we have a lot of wildlife. We have even had occasional Mountain Lions that pass through. They make horrible screams at night. I guess they are calling for a mate. Someone in the area caught a picture of one on a game camera. Fortunately they are rare here. I think they just come over to visit from Missouri, where they mostly hang out in the Ozarks type areas. Here we are not very near the foothills of the Ozarks. We are more like in the "foothills" of the Flint Hills.

Anyway, I just think it is just "wrong" for timber to encroach on zinnias. (grin) We would like to see pictures of your Magellans.

ZM

• gltrap54
    8 years ago

Nice to hear from you ZM! Mountain Lions....... yuup they've been caught on trail cameras around the Topeka area recently... I'm in the foot hills above the river so I'm surprised I haven seen one...... My hens attract lots of wildlife!

I've lived here (same house) 40+ years & have done battle with the Kansas timber throughout time..... I have an arsenal of Stihl equipment that gets a good workout! In all his wisdom Dr. Carl Menninger (maybe you've heard of him,lol) brought Honeysuckle back from his European travels (some 50 years ago) because he was so mesmerized by the stuff........ He owned 40+ acres (dubbed Carlisle Woods) along the banks of Soldier Creek, just a stones throw from me, where he planted this invasive monster. Thanks to the wildlife that eat it's berries & spread the seeds, I'm inundated with Honeysuckle. This stuff is threatening Kansas timber by slowly taking over...... Smells wonderful in the spring & makes for a good privacy fence, just keep all your chains sharp!

My home is built in a natural clearing which affords me the opportunity to plant a few full sun annuals in several beds, this year those beds (hopefully) will sport the Magellan...... I'll post some pic down the road! Have a wonderful growing season!

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi gltrap,

" Thanks to the wildlife that eat it's berries & spread the seeds, I'm inundated with Honeysuckle. "

Around here birds eat the Poison Ivy berries and spread their seeds. I have an ongoing battle with Poison Ivy. I spray it with a commercial product called "RoundUp Poison Ivy" subtitled "Plus > Tough Brush Killer". The active ingredients are Glyphosate, isopropylamine salt, and Tryclopyr, triethylamine salt. It is reasonably effective on Poison Ivy, although the kill is not instantaneous. The plant takes many days to die completely. But it is killed completely, including the roots. That product might be effective against your honeysuckle.

We haven't heard any mountain lions so far this year. We do have several packs of coyotes in the area, and they sometimes set up some really weird howling and other strange noises. We have chickens and guineas, and many varmints threaten them, including large owls, hawks, possums, raccoons, and of course the coyotes. There are foxes in the area, but as far as I know they haven't predated our poultry. We see skunks from time to time, but don't harm them. They might eat a few eggs, but not enough to declare war on them. Skunks are primarily insectivores. Occasionally a large snake will eat some of the eggs, and any snake in the henhouse does get killed. Raising poultry in a rural area can be a battle.

ZM (not associated with any product discussed)

• gltrap54
    8 years ago

I purchase my generic Round Up as well as 2-4-D, at a deeply discounted price from the Shawnee County Noxious Weed Department..... They're a fraction of the cost of retail..... Nearly bankrupted myself buying OTC products to maintain my 6A tract, before I discovered this service...... Once I use my chain saw to lop off the Honeysuckle, I give the stump a generous "drink" of generic Round Up........ That (usually) does the trick...... Very effective on Poison Ivy also......

I went to great lengths when building my chicken coop/run to thwart predators, using many techniques I found on BackYardChickens.com....... To date, it's worked..... My hens don't free range much, so that's also a factor....... In decades gone by, I've lost a hoard of turkeys, geese, ducks, & chickens to predators....

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi gltrap,

I'm glad you have an economical source of control for the invasive Honeysuckle.

There was an old hen house here when we rented the place. Our chickens don't free range, but they have a fenced in chicken run. Our guineas aren't deterred by the 8-foot fence around the chicken run, and they free range for several hundred yards in all directions. This is an older picture of some of our guineas crossing a seed bed.

The guineas do a good job of eating insects in the garden.
    The guineas are also very good at keeping our tick population under control. Before the guineas, ticks were a serious problem here.

ZM

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello everyone,

My indoor zinnia project continues. I have been growing some California Giants because I really liked the look of some of the zinnia blooms that Brenda showed (Saturday, November 28, 2015) because they truly had the look of a Dahlia bloom. This is one of my indoor California Giant blooms that really interests me.

Incidentally, that picture is not upside down. The bloom was hanging down like that because its stem had bent for some reason. I may have actually injured it while messing around with some nearby zinnias. But I like that petal configuration. It isn't as dahlia-like as Brenda's, but I think it is a step in the right direction for a "different" zinnia flower form. More later.

ZM

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

Will you Be Able to Un-bend The Stem So it'll Live to Bear Seeds???

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi ninecrow,

I think I will be able to apply a splint to the bent stem. I have done that before, This is another young bloom that is somewhat similar to it.

I believe it is also a progeny of a California Giant. I believe the California Giant strain of zinnias still has the biggest strongest plants, as well as these "dahlia-style" petals. I just want to mix their genes into the "melting pot" to see what they can do in combination with some of my other more unusual zinnias. In particular, I am wanting to improve my zinnia plants as well as their blooms and flower forms. I also grew quite a few Benary's Giants last year, and got a few good breeder specimen plants from them. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

I see I've been missing a bit - took awhile to catch up with all these posts! ZM - I really like those two blooms, particularly that lavender color with the lighter reverse.

Haven't planted any zinnias yet, but will soon. Transplanted more germinated echinacea seeds yesterday - puts me at 84 of those. What I'm going to do with them all, I have no idea. :) Actually, I do - I'm planning to harvest for herb and tincture, that is, what comes out looking ordinary instead of orange or something more exotic. These are progeny of the Harvest Moon F1 hybrid that was given to me - the only one of the bunch so far that bloomed orange. There are still 9 others that haven't bloomed yet. Love this botany stuff - lol! Gotta go. Let me know if you see any mountain lions.

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

Sounds like you are already nicely diversified. I planted a couple of flats of seeds from that 3Z (threesie) plant today. I showed pictures of the plant back on January 23rd. They may all turn out to be culls, because I will be looking for 3Z seedlings, with a strong tendency to dump any that aren't 3Z.

I have a rather odd specimen that has a small bloom emerging from the stem of the main bloom.

I won't be saving seeds from that one, because I don't want to encourage "broken" blooms.

If I hear any mountain lion screams at night, I will definitely watch out for them. I will be especially watchful that they aren't in a tree above me. Someone said that they like to attack from above. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that kind of aberration more often "mechanical" (can't think of the word) rather than genetic? Seeds would be OK, wouldn't they? Like the look of the petals, at any rate.

One of my new lighting fixtures is broken already; will have to return it. Sigh. Well, they were cheap after all; what can I expect. We already have a backup, but we'll buy another backup - don't need it immediately though anyway as I am currently only using two lights. The bulk of the crops won't be started till middle of the month or later.

Don't know about mountain lions - never saw one except in a zoo. But I did see a jaguarundi at night up a tree in south TX. Looked sort of like a small black panther. And I broke up a 3-way fight on the porch last night between a possum and 2 raccoons - does that count for interesting?

- Alex

P.S. Ninecrow - I've splinted plants before myself - it can work if there's enough vascular tissue still in place to allow movement of fluids and nutrients. (Knew it worked from trial and error, but just now had to go look up the word "vascular" and the other words "xylem" and "phloem" - which are the tube-thingys that do the actual work - just so I'd look like a smarty pants.)

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" But I did see a jaguarundi at night up a tree in south TX. Looked sort of like a small black panther. "

Wow! I never even heard of a jaguarundi. I had to google it. And I lived in Texas for a little over 20 years. I bet very few people have had the rare experience of actually seeing one "in the wild".

" And I broke up a 3-way fight on the porch last night between a possum and 2 raccoons - does that count for interesting? "

Uh, yes. Sounds like you are having all the fun. Possums are a serious problem for our poultry. They are surprisingly bold. We probably average shooting one about once a month. There are raccoons in our area, but we see them only rarely. There are reportedly bobcats in our area, but I have never seen one.

" One of my new lighting fixtures is broken already; will have to return it. "

I use inexpensive T8 fixtures, and they have inexpensive ballasts, which tend to fail. I have purchased a few better T8 ballasts separately, which I use to refurbish a T8 fixture when its ballast fails. I purchased a few books on electrical work and a few of the connectors and tools that electricians use, so that I can be my own electrician when it comes time to fix a T8 fluorescent fixture. I like my cheap two-tube T8 shoplight fixtures, because they have a compact form factor, with a narrow reflector, that lets me hang four of them over a 2' x 4' chrome-wire shelf. So when one of them goes bad, I fix it.

" ...but isn't that kind of aberration more often "mechanical" (can't think
    of the word) rather than genetic? Seeds would be OK, wouldn't they? "

Actually, I think there may be a botanical term for it, but I don't know the term right offhand. I use the term "environmental" to explain zinnia problems that aren't genetic, but I don't think that is the technical term we are looking for.

I suspect that the "broken" zinnia flower forms may be genetic. At least, that is my working hypothesis, so I tend not to save seeds from zinnia blooms with any kind of deformity. I see broken zinnia blooms fairly regularly. This is a picture from a few years ago.

That zinnia bloom had essentially four parts. I did not save seeds from it, or use its pollen. Perhaps some bees might have. Blooms like that don't appeal to my personal aesthetic "taste". I respect everybody's rights to have their own preferences. There are no "absolutes" in what is ornamental. I do use some "ugly" zinnia blooms as breeders because they might have potential to recombine into something attractive to me. Reminiscent of the "ugly duckling that turned into a beautiful swan" story. This is a current "ugly duckling".
    I see something in it. Like a long central core inside the bloom. It doesn't look too promising, but as they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM -

I suspect that the "broken" zinnia flower forms may be genetic.

I bow to your superior knowledge, Sensei. (I started to type "Zensai", as a pun, but when I went to check it, google says it's means "appetizer". Ummm - not exactly appropriate.)

Anyway...that last pic - that's not one you pulled petals off of? It's just all little florets?

9* just day before yesterday; 15* this morning; supposed to fall into lower 20's tomorrow morning, and then finally start to warm up some. Winter apparently decided to wait till the last minute around here.

Have lots of little echinaceas coming up, and some seed gathered from my Dark Towers penstemon, as well as the hybrid daylily seeds (just a handful). All very exciting, as I don't know what I will get with any of them. Hoping for at least some orange-blossomed echs, and for some of the Dark Towers F1s to have the maroon foliage. Will be planting other things in about a week and a half.

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" .that last pic - that's not one you pulled petals off of? It's just all little florets? "

No, I didn't pull anything off of it. It is covered with something similar to florets. It is apparently a cross between a Razzle Dazzle and something.

It sounds like you have a interesting bunch of assorted seedlings. Many ornamentals are of hybrid origin, so you may get some interesting genetic recombinations in your seedlings. And you are diversifying your floricultural skills. Getting actual germination in your refrigerator is something "to write home about."

This is a picture of a current young Woolly zinnia bloom.

They are also a "work in progress". I will keep crossing them with various kinds of zinnias until I find a recombination of factors that "works". At least they are a unique ingredient in the mixes.

Today was shirtsleeve weather here, with a temperature near 70F. I spent some time outside on the deck using a rotary tool to shave some width off of a few of my plastic Permanest trays to make them fit more easily on my 2' x 4' shelves. That is an ongoing project. I did that outside, because plastic shavings are created in great abundance by that project. And the plastic makes a funny smell when it is machined.

I also planted some "veggie" seedlings (selected tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers) in a couple of flats of orchid pots. I will probably be doing some more of that tomorrow. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - we had shirtsleeve weather here today as well. Still some patches of snow around, though. The warming trend may be here to stay.

Here's a question for you: why do you suppose I'm getting a higher percentage of "white" seedlings with my echinaceas? I've counted 12 out of the 84 planted that are showing a lack of chlorophyll. I'm wondering if when they get their true leaves, if they'll start generating some green. Do you think it's their hybrid nature, producing seedlings incapable of growth? Not that I have a place for 84 ech plants, anyway, you understand. :)

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" ...why do you suppose I'm getting a higher percentage of "white" seedlings
    with my echinaceas? I've counted 12 out of the 84 planted that are
    showing a lack of chlorophyll. "

That is a spooky lot of white seedlings. I see one white zinnia in maybe a thousand seedlings.

" I'm wondering if when they get their true leaves, if they'll start generating some green. "

I doubt it. But I don't know echinaceas. Maybe they will start generating some green. It can't hurt to wait and see.

" Do you think it's their hybrid nature, producing seedlings incapable of growth? "

Yes, like most commercial ornamentals, they have a complex hybrids-of-hybrids origin. The lack of chlorophyll is probably a recessive lethal gene. Fortunately such genes are self-culling. You could possibly preserve them by foliar feeding them sugar, as an experiment. Then they could produce a whole lot of seeds of 100-percent albino echinaceas.

Some scabious-derived zinnias can look a bit like echinaceas.

I think that, with a little coaxing, that zinnias could "do" echinacea. Grin.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - that does look quite a bit like an echinacea. An attractive bloom - will you save seed from it, or is it too much out of the direction you'd like to go?

I'm dithering about which of my own zinnia seeds I want to start early. There were 3 main ones that I was most 'taken' with last season: the lotus, the informal dahlia, and the cactus. But there were quite a few of the others that I felt would be worth exploring. I suppose that I should concentrate on the lotus for this first indoor wave. If I start seed in another week, I could have bloom the end of April/ beginning of May - right? Which would mean I could do crosses and harvest seed around the beginning of June. Good timing for direct planting outside. That sound about right to you?

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" An attractive bloom - will you save seed from it, or is it too much out of the direction you'd like to go? "

That picture was taken outdoors year before last. You can see curved wires of its zinnia cage in the background. I don't recall whether I designated it as a breeder and saved seed from it. Its coloration was rather dull, so I wasn't very excited by it. I will increase my interest in scabious genes this year. For one thing, I am interested in how they will react with tubular, exotic, and Razzle Dazzle genes.

" If I start seed in another week, I could have bloom the end of April/
    beginning of May - right? Which would mean I could do crosses and
    harvest seed around the beginning of June. Good timing for direct
    planting outside. That sound about right to you? "

Yes. If you have finalized your decision yet, what date are you planning to use as a planting-out date for your zinnias? I guess your zinnia date could be different from your echinacea date. I assume echinaceas are more tolerant of cool weather.

These were a few more 2014 specimens that bore some resemblance to an echinacea.

This next one is probably the best echinacea mimic, because its guard petals are rather long, and they slant downward like the petals of many echinaceas do.
    This one is just kind of weird.
    And yet another. Its guard petals also slant down some.
    I am not in love with the echinacea flower form, but I think it is a good idea for zinnias not to be restricted to a typical zinnia look. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - I remember that last one - loved the colors!

"I am not in love with the echinacea flower form" - I get that, though all of these are quite beautiful anyway, and certainly prove the versatility of the zinnia. The second one was also particularly striking with the florets and the gold, unopened anthers accenting the top, along with the little ring of stigmas.

Gotta go - later.

- Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

I did some outside work yesterday. Very Spring-like weather. I am actually tempted to plant some cool season veggies like Kohlrabi, although the forecast says our nighttime Temps could drop into the 20's in a few days. A mosquito bothered me last evening, so I have to think about them again.

My indoor stuff continues. This is a bloom with California Giant heritage that has those "quill like" petals that I like. They are a little different from the "extreme uproll" petals.

I really hope to incorporate that "look" into my gene pool. I really love it that zinnias can take on so many different flowerforms. More later.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - no mosquitoes here yet, though the weather has been mild, and the ground mucky. Planting the garden this evening. May put off the dirt part until tomorrow, though. Have put up 40 or so packets for pre-germination in their baggies, but some things are a bit too small to mess with on paper towels. Later -

alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

" Have put up 40 or so packets for pre-germination in their baggies... "

That's a lot of seeds. You may find yourself scrambling for a place to put all of your seedlings.

We had a mild thunderstorm here today, with some micro-hail. Cooled things off. I adjusted the lights downward on some new flats of veggie seedlings. This is a close-up of one of my current "quilled petal" specimens.

I noticed that most of the petals tend to "wrap" in the counter-clockwise direction. I wonder if that is genetic. I would be happier if the outside (backside) of those petals were closer to white. This is a busy time, with outside work and inside work to be done. More later.

ZM

• Sandra Matula
    8 years ago

Hello ZM. Can you tell me about Burpees and Ferry-Morse seeds purchased from Home Depot? The reviews I read are not great. Is there a better place to purchase these seeds?

• Sandra Matula
    8 years ago

BTW... After seeing these beauties I'm pretty sure I no long want to use up room in my small garden for Cosmos. More room for Zinnias! I'm a little excited about them now!

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - major storm here last night - thunder and lightening (one strike very
    close - will walk the property to see if I see damage), followed by
    heavy rain and hailstones that sounded like they were the size of
    marbles, though I didn't go outside in the dark at 2 or 3 AM to confirm
    it. The cats inside were a bit freaked. One of the ferals who typically
    eats with the inside crew was out all night; came back soaked this
    morning. There are many places to shelter in the area, so I imagine he
    wasn't out in the worst, just wet from the transit. Anyway, now bring on
    some heat and this place will really see the green.

The 40
    seed packets was a rough estimate, but it's not all. This is just the
    first wave. However, some of those packets have no more than 3 seeds a
    piece, specifically some of the zinnias that I am starting early. I
    don't want many of those right now when they will need to be taking up
    light space for more than 2 months.

Today I will start the
    teeny-tinies in 6-cell plastic planters with my Baccto propagation mix:
    petunias, lobelia, nicotiana, some campanula, etc. I've decided again
    that I am very satisfied with the way this propagation mix performs. I
    wet it first before I ever plant, then water the seeds in. From then on,
    as long as I don't let the mix get bone-dry, it will take water in
    immediately without danger of run-off, as some mixes do. The price is
    steep - about $24 per 2 cu ft, but I feel the quality's worth it.

Oh dang - just went to look at the radar map to see if I could tell
    you if the storm was moving down your way, and I see we are about to be
    clobbered again BIG TIME. Lights just flashed out and came back on -
    better send this and get off line.- Alex

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

ZM - so did you get the heavy rains down your way? The second round was not the monster predicted, fortunately. But I hear tell we have snow on the way in a few days - sigh. Busy yesterday and today planting up all the germinating seeds from my packets. Seems like everyone had the same idea at the same time - yikes!

Later - Alex

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alex,

Glad you "dodged the bullet" on that second storm. Nothing severe here. We had some light snow, which is now melted. Apparently not much moisture content, since we are now under a Fire Danger alert. I am continuing with my indoor operation, with many veggie seedlings starting, and I am now gathering some indoor zinnia seeds from inside to continue my second generation planting. More later.

ZM

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Sandra,

" Can you tell me about Burpees and Ferry-Morse seeds purchased from Home Depot? "

I answered that in more detail in a different message thread. But, to reiterate, I do purchase some Burpee seeds online each year. I don't have anything against Ferry-Morse, but haven't needed to purchase any of their seeds.

" After seeing these beauties I'm pretty sure I no long want to use up
    room in my small garden for Cosmos. More room for Zinnias! I'm a little
    excited about them now! "

I'm glad you "have been bitten by the zinnia bug". I hope you will keep us informed of your zinnia experiences, and post pictures if that is convenient. Incidentally, assuming you have more zinnia seeds than room to plant them, don't forget that you can pour your zinnia seeds out on a sheet of white paper or a big dinner plate and pick out the "best looking" seeds to plant. For example, if you want big zinnias, pick out the biggest seeds.

There is some correlation between zinnia petal shape and seed shape, so pick longer thinner seeds for longer thinner petals, or wide seeds for wider petals. Good luck with your zinnias, and keep us informed. And don't hesitate to ask questions.

ZM

• samhain10 - 5a
    8 years ago

Well, so now it's snowing again - sigh. 5-8" they say, but they have downgraded repeatedly, so maybe it won't be that much.

All is well with the garden upstairs. Of zinnias there are less than a dozen at this time. Probably won't start any more of them for some weeks yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what these produce. Mostly I chose crosses involving my lotus hybrid since it was the favorite. Hope I'll be posting some pics before too long!

- Alex

• docmom_gw
    8 years ago

I'm trying to keep my hands in my pockets, as far as starting annuals for the garden. It's just too early when I consider the safe plant-out date. And I don't have time to be messing with hauling flats in and out for hardening off. I commute an hour to and from work, and every other night I stay with my mom to save on time and gas. So, I really should rig up a cold frame or mini-green house to get any sort of head start. Zinnias, tithonia, and Cosmos are my three definite goals, and the tithonia is the only one that couldn't be direct sown. But, I'd like to get a head start some how. I'm so excited for spring.

Martha

• docmom_gw
    8 years ago

I'm trying to keep my hands in my pockets, as far as starting annuals for the garden. It's just too early when I consider the safe plant-out date. And I don't have time to be messing with hauling flats in and out for hardening off. I commute an hour to and from work, and every other night I stay with my mom to save on time and gas. So, I really should rig up a cold frame or mini-green house to get any sort of head start. Zinnias, tithonia, and Cosmos are my three definite goals, and the tithonia is the only one that couldn't be direct sown. But, I'd like to get a head start some how. I'm so excited for spring.

Martha

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Martha,

I am excited for Spring, too. Yesterday was almost Summer-like here. Today was more Winter-like. We had a serious cold front.

" ...I really should rig up a cold frame or mini-green house to get any sort of head start. "

Those would be possibilities. Some people do Winter Sowing, in which plastic gallon jugs or the equivalent serve as mini-greenhouses. Some people use Reemay cloth to cover a framework to create a warmer micro climate. as an expanded version of Winter Sowing. I am retired, so I do have time "to be messing with hauling flats in and out for hardening off."

" But, I'd like to get a head start some how. I'm so excited for spring. "

You might give a thought to using some of those plastic gallon jugs as little micro-greenhouses. Maybe try just a few as an experiment, and place them where you want the plants to grow, so you don't have to do any transplanting. I think you have to cut off the top part of the jugs to make the little plant covers. Or maybe it is the bottom. You might be able to find out more about the details over at the Winter Sowing forum.

ZM

• zen_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello everyone,

Well, lots of great discussion here, but this message thread is now over 100 messages, and considering the amount of material here, it may be slow to load for some people. So we are continuing this thread over in It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 36.

See you all over there.

ZM