SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Tuesday's Trivia Thread

Jasdip
8 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks people take the trivia game far too seriously??? There are members who won't post unless they have the right answer. No matter how they arrive at the answer, they have to be right.

Last nite Plllog (I'm stunned) wondered if the theme was about myths.

Wow, this is just a way to start your day, and have some fun. I love, love the twists and turns and very humorous answers you all come up with. Many answers I hadn't thought of, but you come through!

I'm using one source for the quiz and I'm running out of questions, I'm at the end. There aren't a helluva lot of sites that I can find, and I've used others in the past. I'll look today for others or use them again. IF you recognize questions, which is highly likely, you can certainly join in the quiz, don't 'not post' because you know the answer, post the answer, along with other guesses just to keep the game going.

YES, Monday and Tuesday's question did come from a circulated email. I thought they were true, what the heck do I know? Not that I would document or challenge anyone whether they are true or not, I don't care. They were also fillers so that the radio site that I use can get a couple more days of questions posted.

Thank you Atomic_Jay for your fabulous post and support, and the others for 'liking' it.

SO Back to the QUIZ.

According to the email.......BLFENTON and JEMDANDY got the 'right' answer.

If you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and look up, you can do 'this'.

A. See the stars, even in the daytime.

Today's question is:

What is unique about the lobster?

Comments (31)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

It's eyes are outside of it's body.

Sue

• phyllis__mn
    8 years ago

kept alive before use

• party_music50
    8 years ago

It's the only non-produce grocery item that comes wrapped in rubberbands. :O)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

They prefer to be eaten cooked, rather than raw.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I can think of two things that might make them unique amongst other Crustaceans or even other living things. I'll go with the one that makes them a favorite of scientists all over the world.

They become stronger and more reproductively viable as they age instead of the opposite. They appear to be immune to natural senescence.

• User
    8 years ago

I love the Trivia Quiz! Look forward to it.

I don't think I've ever guessed right, but it's fun to come up with possible, if silly, answers.

Today's guess is something to do with reproduction, like "Is that a HUGE crusher claw in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Jasdip thanked User
  • janey_alabama
    8 years ago

They are the best tasting seafood.

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    8 years ago

They can swim backwards.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

it can regrow its claws

• dees_1
    8 years ago

They can scream? But not from the bottom of a well or chimney.

• marcopolo5
    8 years ago

They can live to be 40+ years old if they escape the dinner table.

I always look for trivia post First. Really enjoy reading it everday. Thanks for the effort and doing it regularly, appreciate the unusual questions. And fun answers.

Jasdip thanked marcopolo5
  • caseynfld
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't take the trivia quiz too seriously but I can tell you that you cannot see the stars, even in the daytime, if you are at the bottom of a well or chimney. Just google it.

Whoops, just read the end of yesterday's quiz. I didn't know what you were talking about in your initial post. But I'll state again, I'm not being picky or taking the quiz too seriously, I just don't like false info floating around, like all the stuff you see on FaceBook every day. I like to know facts. If that makes me too serious, well so be it.

But continue the quiz, I love trying to figure them out (and I rarely get the correct answer).

Jasdip thanked caseynfld
  • caseynfld
    8 years ago

Unique about the lobster? Let me think.....

-only animal you don't kill before you cook it?
    -you can tell its age by its size?

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I post incorrect answers to a quiz, I'm just repeating what was written. I have neither the time nor inclination to support every minute question or statement that's on the internet. I really don't care if the information is false, as long as it doesn't hurt me physically, I could care less. I won't eat a tbsp of cinnamon nor use something from my or anyone else's body to cook with, nor eat; like I've seen floating around the 'net.

I'll be the first to report if I can see the stars if I fall into a well........aside from the stars buzzing around my head.

• ntt_hou
    8 years ago

I agree with Janey_Alabama. They taste great!

I read this somewhere, lobsters were considered cheap food in the US. They were fed to prisoners. I guess now, lobsters are no longer affordable to feed to prisoners.

• kitz_2007
    8 years ago

Well back to the lobster, what about the fact that it turns colour once it's cooked.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

it molts it's outershell while it still has it's new shell? rather than losing it and being without a shell. I'm totally making it up!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I like party music's answer, lol!

• blfenton
    8 years ago

If I can win on a myth I'm good with that! And seeing my name in the OP in capital letters is the best prize ever. :)

Now as usual I don't know the answer so I will make something up -

The number of sections to their exoskeleton.

Oh and thanks Jasdip. This is the first place I go to in the morning. I don't usually get here until around 9 after my run and being on the west coast that's late for the rest of the you guys. All the good answers are usually gone by then (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) but I always answer and always have fun.

Jasdip thanked blfenton
  • Oaktown
    8 years ago

You can make a "bolster" out of it, or take u out of "troubles"?

The quizzes are fun Jasdip, thanks for posting them.

I did not even realize there were themes, thanks for pointing that out plllog.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I know lots of stuff about lobsters and crawfish! Number one is they are my favorite foods and yummy. They come in various colors, including blue, yellow, and white albino, and even two toned two different colors split in two talk about a split personality! Lol There are many different types of lobsters some that are very scary looking. Many of the things previously mentioned like turn red when cooked applies to crawfish too, going backwards, cooked alive, etc. And knowing all of this stuff is not helping me at all because I can not think of one thing that is unique to the lobster, they chew with their stomach but I am not sure that is unique. . But if y'all want to see some of the weird ones here's a link.

By the way great job Jasdip I don't often play but I do read!

Amazing lobsters

Jasdip thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Jasdip
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jim, do the lobsters really prefer to be eaten cooked rather than raw? ;-)

• matti5
    8 years ago

Agree with longevity

They hate lemons and butter (yum)

Jasdip, I've been playing the trivia game from the getgo, it is a fun start to my day! I have not been as active as I had been, but do check it daily. Thank you for bringing a smile to so many of us :)

Jasdip thanked matti5
  • joyfulguy
    8 years ago

Sort o' red-faced (and uncooked, I assure you) ... that I don't know any answer to what's unique about a lobster ... and have enjoyed a number of your answers (as usual).

Haven't learned to take your questions/answers too seriously, jassy ... so not troubled if they turn out to be flawed (and I wouldn't be aware of that, most of the time).

Not sure where Jim got his answer that they prefer being eaten cooked rather than raw ... maybe it relates to being rather like the frog that doesn't feel bad about being cooked when the water is heated slowly, or by degrees ... but shouldn't someone tell the lobster that they usually get dumped, holus-bolus, into a pot of boiling water?

Maybe, even so, he'd prefer that to losing a chunk of body at a time, while still sentient ... probably would hope that they'd bit his head off first. (Have no idea what the females might prefer, either).

(Can a male who charges for his services be called a "fee-male"?)

ole joyfuelled

• blfenton
    8 years ago

plllog - actually your way of looking at the game is interesting. Having fun and learning something in a more depth manner at the same time. And that I get as well. Hopefully you will keep on having fun along with the rest of us.

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

1) They don't turn red until after they are cooked.

2) They can live to be 100 years old.

3) Lobster blood is clear.

4) I don't like lobster, unlike many people.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    8 years ago

When I was in the Navy in the mid-60s, I was stationed at a radio transmitting site in Maine. Oh joy! We could drive 10 minutes up the road and get our lobsters 10 minutes after the boat docked! And the price was CHEAP! I have not had a lobster since.

I never actually spoke with a lobster, but my answer from above comes from the wall in the men's john.

• caseynfld
    8 years ago

Lindsey I don't like lobster either! Everyone else I know loves them.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Casey, it must be tough living on the water and not liking lobster. I remember decades ago travelling to Nova Scotia and they had lobster dinners at churches. We went to one and that was my first foray into lobster.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

lobster is the one thing my cat goes crazy for, other than raw beef. She likes bits of chicken and pork, but will not stop pestering me when I'm eating either of those. What can I say? She's a champagne taste kind of kitty.