SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Soapstone slab sight unseen?

pippiep
8 years ago

I got in touch with the local distributor for M. Tex soapstone, since a couple of those samples are my current favorites. Dorado is local to me, but I don't like their samples nearly as much.

The distributor said they have M. Tex slabs about 2 hours away from me, but not the ones I'm interested in. They said I can have them order enough slabs for my project, and that ordering without seeing is not a big deal because there is not much variation in color/pattern.

I disagree very much with that last statement -- I have a couple of 4x4 samples that I like, but when I googled full slabs or finished counters, I didn't like them at all.

I don't feel that I'm super picky about it and would probably be OK ordering sight unseen... except that I don't want it to look greenish, have any turquoise coloring, or leopard spots (some samples are spotted). I plan to leave it as natural as I can but will oil for a couple of months. I don't want black soapstone; I want it to remain a charcoal gray. Also, each sample feels different to me. Some I like, some I don't, just based on how they feel.

Those of you who have soapstone in your kitchens: did you have to order the slabs without seeing them? Am I better off going to Dorado and just picking something from there?

In case you're curious, my faves are Belvedere, Nuvolato, and Stormy Black. I thought I'd read that M. Tex Stormy Black is the same as Dorado PA, but they don't look the same to me.

Comments (23)