SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Two sides to every story?

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had the most awkward experience yesterday. I went to the office of a new client and as I was leaving one of the employees recognized me. She asked if I had been a patient of Dr. Fata (that oncologist who'd been arrested for fraud and had treated patients who didn't have cancer) and I said no but my husband was. As it turned out, she had been one of Dr. Fata's Medical Assistants but before I could say anything other than my husband is doing well, she asked if I could believe how terrible it had turned out for Dr. Fata!!! I was dumbfounded. She continued (as her co-workers looked on) saying that his only fault was that he got greedy and patients had been "paid to lie about him" which is why no one sued. She talked about him as if he was just caught with his hand in the cookie jar explaining that his treatments were aggressive but that he had saved many more lives that he hurt and he got way too much jail time.

As I listened to her version of the story it took everything I had in my body to keep from saying anything...but this office was a client and knowing how differently I felt about it, I didn't feel it would be appropriate to respond. Now it's bugging me. I understand that there are people he did right by, my husband is one of them, but I just don't understand how any one especially someone who works in the industry can completely disregard the lives that he ruined, the people his treatments have now made sick, the people who died while trusting him. No one was paid to say they'd been hurt by him. After the fraud was settled, there was no money left for the patients; that's why many chose not to sue.

When I came home I was pretty upset and told my husband about it. His response was everyone is going to have their own perspective or experience; that was hers. Okay, but her ignorance still irks the hell out of me!

Dr. Fata story

Comments (27)