SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevesdigits

Should I Venture into the Houzz?

This olde man's dream is to have a new home. It would require planning and my DD may help us with some of that. She is beginning to have a financial employment resume I'm not sure anyone expected when she graduated in 2010 with a social science degree (insert smiley with rolling eyes :o).

How about the physical realities? Is there a good resource for plans here at Houzz?

I live in a home that was built in 1901. Honestly, the layout of the home isn't far from my ideal. Even the size is okay, although we are squeezed in some ways and that is no advantage to living here. The biggest drawback is simply the age of the building.

It might actually be possible to leave the basement in place and rebuild over it, although I doubt it. The problem there is the narrowness.

Something I like about this home's floor plan is the central location of the utilities. We have made improvements, including some interior remodeling about 4 years ago. Those changes didn't go far enough. Tinkering around the edges doesn't address the core reason most people feel the need to remodel, redoing the kitchen and, perhaps, the bathroom and utility room.

These three rooms are central in this home. I like that but tinkering around the edges doesn't get to this area and very big job. That's why I'm thinking about either selling this home or having it rebuilt, either from the ground up or the foundation up.

Yes, a different floor plan would require moving some walls, both interior and exterior. It's easy for me to conceive of a floor plan, mentally. How would I share that with a contractor? I've done some looking at floor plans online. The closest to what I'm thinking of can be found in some apartments. I don't think you can just say, "I want it like that but twice the size."

One thing I'd like to see is a home where future owners, wanting future remodeling, don't have such monumental tasks!

Steve

Comments (5)