SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jutsuri

Please help - Layout advice needed

8 years ago

The situation:

• we are remodeling our soon-to-be-open-plan kitchen/dining/living room (we're taking down the wall between the kitchen and living room)
  • we are couple with one dog (no kids and no plans for them)
  • husband is a contractor and will be doing the majority of the work, he has been wanting to tear out our old kitchen for years
  • budget is $40,000-$60,000, plus contingency fund
  • we like to cook/make snacks together and to entertain small groups (4-6 people) -- both inside and out on the deck
  • I also bake often and want to start canning
  • we will live here for ten more years and then buy another house and rent out this house
  • after some recent discussion husband is set on getting the project done early next year, I'd like it to be during BBQ season

Primary goals for the remodel:

• ability to have two cooks/snackers in the kitchen at once
  • maximize view/windows towards the deck and front garden -- we have wild bird feeders out there and enjoy watching the birds from our current slider
  • make the kitchen very open to the living room (we've had that open layout before and loved the easy chatting between those rooms)
  • we do not use the dining table unless entertaining (on normal days, we eat in front of the TV), so we would prefer a plan where the dining table can be put away or repurposed in between parties and the space used for something else day-to-day
  • desired big appliances: dishwasher, range, and fridge (already bought the fridge -- it is a 33" regular depth, bottom freezer drawer)
  • places for these frequently-used small appliances: coffee maker, toaster, Kitchen Aid mixer
  • area for pet food/bowls
  • pantry storage

Like-to-haves:

• baking center with spot for KitchenAid mixer to live on the counter
  • not moving the slider -- it works well with the deck now and would be a pain to change
  • cookbook storage (does not have to be in the kitchen, adjacent would be fine)
  • small appliance storage
  • sink and range on the same run of counter (not across the aisle from each other)
  • microwave drawer
  • seating facing the view towards the deck and front garden

Here is a to-scale floor plan on graph paper of the entire floor, 1 square = 1 square foot:

Here's a closer view of just the kitchen/living room area, 1 square = 1 square foot:

Here are some pictures of my home and the views out of the windows, one also has our dog in her favorite spot:

That's as many as I'm allowed to post, I guess.

For more information here is a link to my previous thread:

My previous thread

Thank you everyone, and Jillius in particular for the above-and-beyond help with how to organize my mission statement.

Comments (44)