SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rawrenn

Beginner Papaya Questions about Mature Trees

rawrenn
8 years ago

We recently moved to central Florida and bought a house with lots of papaya trees. I've never had a papaya tree before and now I have like a dozen, the majority of which may be more than 20' tall.

Each of the trees have lots of papayas, including some that I could only describe as huge -- think two childsize 8lb bowling balls, side by side. Thus far we've had a couple slightly yellowish-orange, but none of them appear ripe and we tried taking one of the green ones that fell off to see if it'd ripen, but that didn't work.

My first question is whether they're supposed to ripen on the tree and if so, how do you know when to pick them?

The more pressing question though, I've had a couple where the entire top of the tree has broken off. My theory is that it's from the weight of all the fruit, but both times were on breezy days, so the wind may have also been a factor.

Is there something I should be doing to shore the trees up or strengthen the trunks? Both of the broken tree tops were four to six inches in diameter and they both were very heavy with fruit.

Any hints, tips, advice or links to more information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (6)