SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Handmade / homemade holiday gifts

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Is anyone crafting any of their own gifts for the upcoming season? I'm knitting some scarves for a few of the ladies at work. It's easy and I really enjoy the process, and I figure a scarf is something anyone can use - even just to grab and toss on as an extra layer when going out for a walk.

I'd love to hear what you are or will be working on. Please also share if you typically receive handmade gifts that you enjoy.

'Tis (almost) the season.

Comments (82)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love that totem! That cobalt blue is sooooo pretty. What a clever and unique gift idea.

I've just started my (first) deco mesh wreath. I used the "grab-'n'- wrap" method instead of cutting the mesh, and I think it worked pretty well. I'm still going to be adding more to this wreath, of course. I have a couple of different smaller ribbons that will be added to fill in, and I'll also add ornaments of some sort. I'm pleased with it so far, although my cuticles look like crap after doing battle with those little stiff brush ties attached to the wreath form!

I probably should've waited to take a photo when it's all finished, but just thought I'd show it after the first stage of wrapping has been completed.

I'll try Maddielee's version when I have smaller width mesh to work with. I love the way hers look so ethereal.

• maddielee
    8 years ago

Jen, FYI--I'm almost finish with a wreath using a 24" form. The finished size is 34" .

• Related Discussions

Homemade Christmas or Holiday cards? Anyone make these?

Q

Comments (9)
    When I was small, my mother used to buy black & white lithographed cards from the Metropolitain Art Gallery in New York. I recall one that portrayed a stable scene, another of angels- but not all of them were Christmas based because they were sent to friends of all religions. She then hosted a party of close friends and we sat around the diningroom table and watercolored them. I still think that is a nice touch- and a happy memory!
    ...See More

Do people appreciate your handmade gifts ?

Q

Comments (17)
    Since all the women in my family are artistic, and some of the men too....Dad always did woodworking...everyone in my family prefers something handmade. A handmade item shows love, and that you actually thought about the person you are giving it to rather than rushing into a store at the last minute to grab something to give as a gift. I believe that if you actually make something that is high quality, there is no matching it with something store bought. The gifts that mean the most to me are the ones that someone made specifically for me. I have a fleece blanket that my sister-in-law made several years ago. It has gotten me through many hours of illness, and cancer treatments. Everytime I wrap it around my shoulders, it feels like a hug because I know that she made it for me with love. A store bought blanket would never feel the same. I have beautiful crocheted lace doilies that my aunt made for me. She is getting older and I know that those can never be replaced after she is gone. I have Christmas ornaments that my children and other family members have made for me. Every time I put up my tree for the holidays, I remember who I recieved them from and what was going on in our lives at the time. These are all things that you can't give or recieve with store bought items. I have a wooden napkin holder that my dad made for me. There is a story behind it of something that happened while he was making it that I will remember every time I use it. Dad is gone now and I will never have another thing that he made for me. I know that he had me in his heart while he worked on it. I know that I am not the only one in my family that feels this way. I have listened to the stories of where a special gift came from many times. TooMuchGlass, Please keep giving those handmade gifts! Even if they don't seem to appreciate them now, I believe that over time, they will mean the world to your loved ones. If not, then they are really missing out on what is important in this life.
    ...See More

Pics of 2 of my budget, home-made Christmas gifts

Q

Comments (22)
    Awww thanks guys! I was worried that mine was going to come out too "amateurish", and not look good on it's own, especially considering that I was working from an inspiration photo. Thanks for the vote of confidence! Fly and Jen and all, I got all materials at Michael's. Plain wood blocks, 19 gauge wire, and the wood letters. I was going to either hand-paint or decopage the letters, but when I saw their neat wood pre-cut letters I opted to get those instead. I did hand paint the date on the name plaque, and it was HARD to get it to come out right. If I did it again, I'd probably do some sort of rub-on lettering. It was really, really difficult to get the strokes even. For one small portion, like a date, I think it adds to the charm, but if the whole piece was shaky and wobbly looking, I don't think I'd be happy with it. The kids and I just painted, crackled, repainted, sanded, glazed, and repainted the boards, painted and distressed the letters, and then glued them on. (That makes it sound MUCH harder than it was.) For the name plaque we just stained those letters. I'm exhausted from it, but they were worth it, and hopefully the recipients will like them.
    ...See More

Have you made any gifts or other holiday items?

Q

Comments (35)
    Wow, I love all the crafts you all made! Right before Thanksgiving I started working on Christmas decorations for our home. I crafted a table centerpiece, 3 swags and 2 potted 3' Christmas trees, using Dollar Tree mini Christmas trees. They were fairly cheap to make and I think they turned out great.
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

I usually buy my wreaths but you all have me convinced that this is the year to make one! Maybe we should start a wreath thread so everyone can show off the one's they make?

Raven, that is so clever! What a great gift idea! Cobalt blue glass has always been a favorite, where do you find all the pieces to put one together?

Crochet looks a lot harder than it is. I wish there was a way we could do a class together, I'd be happy to show anyone who's interested.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ML - BIG wreath, but oh-so pretty! You have a good eye for making patterns and colors work well together.

I think I'm going to hang my giant on our front door (provided it turns out to be presentable enough). It will be BIG, but our door is oversized and I think it can handle it. We won't have many other Christmas decorations this year, so I kinda want the ones we do have to make a statement!

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Thank you Jen and Lukki. It's been a rough month. I keep in touch with her hubby. We talk about everyday things, but also Jeannie. Because of this loss I'm trying to live my life differently. I still want to do things for others, but I want to do things for myself too. You just never know.

Outside, mine are double thick too, but made from cotton yarn. It's rare I see wool these days. I've not used one of those looms in ages. I've often thought about buying the similar ones made for knitting as they are larger than the old potholder looms.

I sure am enjoying seeing all you ladies have made for gifts. Very inspiring. I'm eating dinner and will then go up to my craft closet to get out some supplies I need to finish the project I'm working on now. I'll share it when it's completed.

• Springroz
    8 years ago

Oh, gosh everyone has made such cute things!! One year we were on the road a lot and I knitted scarves for everyone. I am going to try one of the infinity type this year.

Love those wreaths! I may have to try one.

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

Just got

please give us instructions for the other pot holders.

l make the ones that form the pocket. But the

others?

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Sadly, I don't have a creative bone in my body. But I do bake for the Holidays. Some of last year's gifts:

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I consider baking to be very creative! What pretty packages. I'd be delighted if someone made something like that for me!

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Thanks, Jen! Last year, I was without an oven and was going to skip my yearly tradition. My family would have none of that, so I posted on the cooking thread for recipes that could be done without an oven. Most of the recipes on those trays came from our generous GW family :)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awwww! That's lovely! :-)

• User
    8 years ago

Errant, those are really pretty and clever. I think you're probably more creative than you give yourself credit for. I actually would have never thought to look for non baked recipes.

• maddielee
    8 years ago

Jen, your wreath is very pretty.

(eta: why does your picture show sometimes and then other times it's gone?)

I am impressed with all the gifts shown, would be a happy to be on any of your guest lists.

ML

IdaClaire thanked maddielee
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I get glass where ever I can buy it cheap, thrift stores, goodwill, garage sale etc. I gave this one to my neighbor.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Ravencajun, what do you use to bond the glass pieces? Anything to anchor them or gie them weight for the yard? I might have to try one. I like yard art. Have a bowling ball covered in pennies aging in my back yard. Just for fun.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Hey, I have some of those plates! But I would never part with my pie pans ;)

Very creative, RC! I'll bet they look lovely in the garden. I do have plenty of extra glassware in the form of vases and candle jars. Maybe I will give it a try in the spring!

• User
    8 years ago

I might have to give that a try too! I bet clear vases would look really pretty with something like christmas bulbs or sea glass in them.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I have one I made of imported Murano Italian glass I put a beach inside of it, for my sisters Lake house.

I use only GE Il clear silicone caulk that is for exterior use, it's the blue and gold label. I buy the small tubes not the big ones that go into a caulk gun. I use a heavy piece for the base, the best are the platter that comes in a microwave I get those at goodwill. The clear pie plates are super cheap. Sometimes I use a square ceramic tile. This is a wonderful way to salvage and actually use and admire that beautiful glass that stays hidden away in cabinets and drawers. One of my neighbors who is 93 has a massive collection of all kinds and colors of antique glass. She had me do one for her with some of the pieces, for an indoor totem that is a plant stand. It turned out beautiful and she has it in her living room where she can see it every day. She is very happy with it.

Here's the beach one.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

That's the same stuff I used to cement the pennies on to the old bowling ball -- just didn't know if it was strong enough to hold the glass together in the elements. Pennies or small bits in mosaics don't need as much holding. And I definitely agree on no caulking gun for projects like these. Thanks!

• User
    8 years ago

Oh wow, I really like that one, very pretty

• texanjana
    8 years ago

I usually make a bunch of candy, but am not planning to this year. Jen, I love that poinsettia wreath! Wish I had more free time, but just don't this year. Maybe next year. Love everyone's creations.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I finished my wreath today and although it's not even Thanksgiving yet, I went ahead and hung it on the door. I should get a better photo in the daylight. Oh, and do beware of glittery ribbon. My floors inside look like Tinkerbell exploded.

• User
    8 years ago

Love it!!! Very pretty. I wanted to go get my stuff today but the snow sort of nixed that plan. Love the bulbs you used, very festive indeed.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

Beautiful wreath Jen!

I worked on my wreaths the in the family room, stored them out of sight for a few days. I thought I had vacuumed up all the glitter. A neighbor was over yesterday with her 3 year old. Little Daisy told me that a fairy must have visited while I was asleep because she lost some of her sparkle! She went around pointing out the random 'sparkles' that I had missed. So cute.

IdaClaire thanked maddielee
  • lascatx
    8 years ago

I would leave glitter on the floor on purpose for that cuteness. I have 2 boys (grown now) and I never heard fairy stories. DInosaurs, yes. Fairies, no.

• Bethpen
    8 years ago

I made body scrubs for my friends at work last year. I used coconut oil, epsom salts and essential oils. I made a rosemary orange, peppermint and lavender. I packaged them in small mason jars with a little wooden spoon and cute twine. Everyone loved it. I also added some cookies I think...

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I made scented bath salts when I was in high school -- same thing but without the oil and I have wondered about making the scrubs. I need to try that sometime.

I just finished a cowl and realized that I made it shorter than it was supposed to be, but it still works and I have another skein of yarn to make some wrist warmers and possibly a headband too. The yarn is a chunky baby alpaca -- sooooo soft. I really like working with it. Casting on for the first of two hats for my sons -- to match scarves they got last year.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

josephene, I'll see what I can do to get a pattern for you later today. I kind of winged it, but I'm sure I can explain it in a way that will help you once on my laptop.

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

For years I made an angel each year so we had something from the heart to give to god parents, teachers, dear friends. Now days I am making coffees and teas for my kids at college. Chi tea is not deck this year!!

• kitschykitch
    8 years ago

We usually make wreaths around the holidays. I've not started yet but my TJ has very nice grapevine wreaths, reasonably priced.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did a little post-feast crafting this evening. This one is for my MIL and it's much more reasonably sized than the ginormous one hanging on our front door. ;-)

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Very pretty Jen. Your MIL is very lucky.

IdaClaire thanked justgotabme
  • maddielee
    8 years ago

Nice wreath for you MIL Jen! I'm sure she loves it. I used my left over mesh and ribbon to make a garland, still working on the rest of the mantel.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

MaddieLee, that is gorgeous!

Here's what ornaments I have finished the my Cousin Jeannie started. I've more to work on, but hubby was home this last week so I spent more time with him and will hopefully finish the rest I'm finishing for her to give to her Hubby and Son this next week.
    The cross stitch itself was done by Jeannie except for the backs and the fence and words on the one with the church.

I found a saying which I felt fit Jeannie thoughts via Google. It was too long for the back of the Santa head so I shortened it, but kept the idea.

Jeannie had most of the church and trees finished. I wasn't going to touch the front, but decided that her Son wouldn't mind if I added some to it. I charted and did the back on this one and finished it pillow like adding the beads all around.

I added the red octagonal back stitch to fill the spaces since I knew I'd be finishing it off square and the green stitching, rick rack and the red beads. The backing is the dotted as shown in the above picture.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love that garland, ML!

And justgota - those ornaments are so-so-so precious! You did Jeannie proud.

I've had such fun creating wreaths! This one now hangs on my parents' front door. The ornaments (and candy theme) that I chose for it reminded me of the tree we had when I was growing up.

• User
    8 years ago

Oh wow Jen, you're really getting an eye with your wreath making! Love this last one, it's gorgeous and fun!

Just, your ornaments are adorable and I think it's lovely that you finished them for Jean. She's surely looking down with a smile.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, lukki! (Although my dad swears he can't see through the peephole now, since there's a snowflake in the way. LOL!)

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Thank you Jen and Lukki. I do think you are both right that Jeannie would be very happy that I'm doing this for her men. It's bitter sweet work, but I'm happy I'm able to do this for her, and them.
    I've two more finished, but have yet to take pictures. I have a good start on another, but not so happy with how it's looking so today I took a break and finished charting a simple "Jeannie Angel" that I'm hoping to have time to make one for both her hubby and son. I'd love to make one for her siblings too, but I just don't know how long they'll take and I really should be cleaning house now and then too. (making face)
    I planned on just making a cross stitched angel when I came across the one shown on the upper left with the angel actually working on cross stitch. It wasn't quite right so I thought I'd rework it a bit. I wound up basically redoing it completely. I used the drawing of the floating angel as an inspiration, but as usual I have to do it.... my way.

Jen, I love this candy wreath. I got a kick out of your Dad not being able to look out the peep whole without seeing the snow flake. LOL He sounds like a character. <3

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

justgotabme, how's the needle work coming? I absolutely love the Jeannie angel! What a wonderful, special tribute to a wonderful, special lady.

Is anyone else still crafting for Christmas? I put the finishing touches on my gifts for coworkers (one guy, three girls) this past weekend. I hope they don't look at these scarves with the face that says, "You don't really expect me to WEAR this, do you?" LOL.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Jen, those scarves are beautiful! I can't imagine anyone not wanting to wear them.
    Did you use a variety of yarn on the guys scarf or is that a variegated yarn that worked up that way? I love the colors in it. Very manly.

I finished all of Jeannie's ornaments and sent them to her hubby. He skyped to tell me he got them, thanked me every so much and said they were beautiful in a tone that I know he meant it.
    Here's the rest of them. All of these have just felt on the back, no other stitching. I kept the funky shaped tree one for me.

• sheesh
    8 years ago

All these things are beautiful! I'm not a crafter like you folks, but I sew garments, which I guess is a skill. I don't quilt, though.

I am making twenty pair of matching flannel pajamas for my gang: six kids, their six spouses, seven grandkids, and hubby. Well, I'm exaggerating. It's only eleven pair because the 7 men and 2 boys are getting only pajama pants, since they refuse to wear tops. Thank goodness for small favors!

• User
    8 years ago

justgotabme- those are precious! We have ornaments that DH's grandmother made years ago. She made those felt figures- ice skates, Snoopy and Snoopy's dog house.

She also made several crocheted Xmas trees.

All beloved.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I adore those ornaments, justgota! They are so very sweet, and I know Jeff (that's his name, right?) appreciates you so much for sending them to him. They are treasures.

Thanks for your kind words about my scarves. The guy's scarf is a self-striping Isaac Mizrahi yarn that's a lot of fun to work with. The ribbing in the pattern makes the stripes appear a bit wonky, but I sort of like wonkiness in knitted pieces. :-)

Sheesh - pj's for all those folks! Wow! You're a busy lady! :-)

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Sheesh, sewing is definitely a skill and also a craft along the line of a craftsman. It's one of the master skills handed down through generations as is woodworking. I think since crafting has become so wide spread that it's taken away so of it's original appeal or "honor" as it once had. Like anything when there's less of it, it's valued more.
    I would love to see pictures of pajamas you'll be making. It sounds like a wonderfully fun idea!

Thank you Mimipadv. It was an emotional job, but also filled with love and memories. I'm glad I did them. I've more to do, but will not have them ready until next Christmas. I thought about doing one ornament a year, but I felt this year needed more since her loss is so fresh in our hearts.
    I would love to see pictures of the felt ornaments. I love working with felt. I've made felt holiday lapel pins in the past as teacher gifts. I'm not sure they'd go over well now, but they did a couple decades ago.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Thank you Jen, and yes, you got his name right.
    Thanks for the name of the yarn too. I'll have to get some of that. Not that I don't already have enough yarn, but..... it's a gotahave. LOL I have taught myself over the years that hand made wonky is awesome!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Isaac Mizrahi also comes in solids, which is what I used for the ladies' scarves. I really like working with it. It's got a little stretch and bounce to it, as well as a nice sheen.

I looooooooooove those felt brooches! They're wonderful! :-)

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

Thank you Jen. I enjoy making the brooches.
    I looked up the Isaac Mizrahi yarn and it got very bad reviews. Did you have any trouble with cut ends tied together in the middle of the skeins?

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, no. I have totally fibbed to you! I did use the Isaac Mizrahi yarn, but that was on another project! The yarn used for these scarves is Lion's Pride Woolspun. Sorry for my lapse of memory!

http://www.michaels.com/search?q=woolspun

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Justgottabe, the ornaments are wonderful. They would be simply beautiful on their own, but the meaning behind them makes them extraordinary. Priceless treasures. I don't have a lot of the ornaments my mom, grandmother and to some degree my sister and I made when I was young, and the beaded felt tree skirts haven't held up as well, but I treasure what we do have.

I am still knitting -- might still be knitting after Christmas, but as long as I have these hats done beofre the boys go back to school, I will be satisfied and I know the boys will be fine with that. They got the matching scarves last year and know these are coming (I can't bring myself to pull out wool and start knitting when it's over 85 degrees outside -- and that wasn't that long ago). I did make a pair of baby alpaca cowls and make do some mitts to go with one. Started a crocheted hat too.

We have all the kitchen goodies packed up and will mail 3 packages this weekend or Monday and then distribute the rest next week. Made 16 tins of peanut brittle on top of the ther goodies and will make stroopwaffels Sunday or Monday (have to wait for a front to pass through and the weather to improve for the caramel to behave).

Jen -- ETA that I think your scarves look great and they will love them. The yarn for the guy is a great choice. I know what a hard time I had finding something I liked for my sons.

IdaClaire thanked lascatx
  • justgotabme
    8 years ago

Thank you Jen for the update on the yarn.

Thank you Lascatx.
    There are things my Mom and Grammy made that I wish I'd have kept. I don't remember ever getting rid of them, but somehow I no longer have them. I imagine I can blame youth for no longer having them. As we age we realize the importance of things loved ones made.
    I would love to see photos of the things you are knitting.

I forgot to add the boot cuffs I made for my daughter. The ivory are for her tall boots and the black speckled are for her ankle boots. I'm working on Christmas stockings now. Sorry such a bad picture. I had to use a flash and it washed out the detail on the ivory pair. They are ribbed similar to the black, but not made to slouch.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH