SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craig_fehrman

Masonry question: Should I caulk around my lintels?

craig
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey there,

We live in a 1920s brick colonial. (I've also cross-posted this in the Old House forum.) One of our limestone lintels has cracked, as you can see in this picture:

We're going to hire a mason to replace this in the spring but don't have the cash to do it sooner. I've already braced it with a two-by-four, just to be safe.

But I'm wondering if I should caulk around the crack to prevent water from leaking in behind the lintel, where it might freeze and expand during the winter.

Here's a closeup of the crack and the gaps that have formed:

And here's a closeup of a different intact lintel, where you can see the mortar going right down to the limestone:

So here's my question -- is caulking around the cracked lintel a good idea? I've done some digging on this and other forums and people caution against caulking around metal lintels since it can trap water. But I haven't found much for stone lintels. I find it very hard on old brick homes to know what's settling / cracking and what's designed for water to drain. I'm not sure if caulking around this lintel will make things better or worse, and I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

(I realize I could also just chisel out the cracked mortar and put some mortar back in those cracks -- more work, but an option if it's a better choice than caulk. All this will get fixed properly in the spring.)

Comments (9)