SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fredman_gw

Eco planting...not really...:-)

fred
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Its mid spring here in NZ. A friend wanted me to grow him some fig cuttings from a special tree he has been eyeing for a while. He tried before but failed for some reason...

I took the cuttings in winter, covered with wet paper and stored them in a bag in the fridge (just like it says on my friend Google) Three months later (at the onset of spring) I planted them in a mix of fine..ish pumice and little bit pine fines. I planted the first few 3 in small plastic pots, but then got a strike of lightening... the rest I planted in eco friendly, recyclable coffee cups. Pierced some holes in the cups. I figured I wont know when the ones in plastic pots starts rooting, but the roots will grow out the paper cups and I will know...If I take them out the plastic little pots to replant, I might harm the fragile little roots and that might set them back, or even die...

Left them in the hothouse and they grew their socks off. The roots started growing out the bottom and sides of the paper cups (right when it started braking down... my lucky)...just what I wanted. I moved the paper cups into bigger plastic pots and filled the space with good quality 5.1.1, without disturbing the fragile roots.

Soon the paper cups will have broken down completely and the roots can fill the new pot without disturbance...

Am I clever or what? I sure am very proud of myself...believe me that don't happen often, as I am frustratingly daft, when it comes to new ideas and vision for my bonsais especially....;-)

Its mid spring here in NZ. A friend wanted me to grow him some fig cuttings from a special tree he has been eyeing for a while. He tried before but failed for some reason...

I took the cuttings in winter, covered with wet paper and stored them in a bag in the fridge (just like it says on my friend Google) Three months later (at the onset of spring) I planted them in a mix of fine..ish pumice and little bit pine fines. I planted the first few 3 in small plastic pots, but then got a strike of lightening... the rest I planted in eco friendly, recyclable coffee cups. Pierced some holes in the cups. I figured I wont know when the ones in plastic pots starts rooting, but the roots will grow out the paper cups and I will know...If I take them out the plastic little pots to replant, I might harm the fragile little roots and that might set them back, or even die...

Left them in the hothouse and they grew their socks off. The roots started growing out the bottom and sides of the paper cups (right when it started braking down... my lucky)...just what I wanted. I moved the paper cups into bigger plastic pots and filled the space with good quality 5.1.1, without disturbing the fragile roots.

Soon the paper cups will have broken down completely and the roots can fill the new pot without disturbance...

Am I clever or what? I sure am very proud of myself...believe me that don't happen often, as I am frustratingly daft, when it comes to new ideas and vision for my bonsais especially....;-)

Comments (10)