SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Garage conversion?

Anyone done a garage conversion? We have a detached garage. Our next big project is likely the backyard, which is tiny. Dh suggested off-handedly that we might consider putting in a nanawall or the like (the folding glass doors that create a huge opening) on the side of the garage and creat an indoor-outdoor space there. I think he's thinking we'd put a television and some comfortable furniture out there.

I think this will be tricky with permitting so we will have to see what we can actually do. The current structure is grandfathered in, but I don't think it meets current set back requirements. So tearing it down and rebuilding would be out. But I also think it is virtually impossible to get a permit to add a kitchen or bathroom to the building or really to do anything that technically decreases the available off street parking.

So I'm thinking we might be able to switch the overhead garage door to old-fashioned carriage house style doors on the front to maintain the possibility of parking in it--though we do not and would not actually park there. Then improve the flooring to something that can still technically be parked on (slate tile?). And install a nanawall or, more likely within budget, a couple of French doors on the side of the garage that faces the backyard. We could incorporate some storage closets so we don't lose all our storage space.

We live in a really mild climate so no a/c even in the house. Maybe some kind of baseboard heat? It would be usable 6 months of the year with no heat at all.

Anyone done something like this? Just doing some preliminary thinking. . . .

Comments (2)