SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Have you had your gallbladder removed, and if so ...

IdaClaire
8 years ago

how did you fare afterward? Mine was removed laparoscopically seven years ago after I suffered for entirely too long with repeated gallstone attacks. My surgery was necessitated by a stone blocking a duct (first procedure was to remove the blockage, followed by surgery a couple of days later to remove the gallbladder completely). It was a terrible experience - rushed to the hospital in the wee hours of Easter morning by ambulance, and in anguish in the ER for two hours before treatment was administered. Due to the severity of my condition, I developed pancreatitis as well and my recovery was lengthy.

My surgeon warned me that I might continue to experience "phantom" symptoms of a gallstone attack even following surgery, and sure enough, I have. Not often, and always subsiding quickly, but the phantom attacks have occurred and lately I've been dealing with one that seems to want to stick around. I understand that this is a phenomenon known as SOD/Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and is most common in women who have had their gallbladders removed. It is a spasm causing temporary backup of bile and pancreatic juices, resulting in very painful symptoms that mimic gallstone attacks. It's not terribly common at a 1.5% occurrence in the general population - but this still amounts to millions of cases so I wondered if anyone here has dealt with this. My understanding is it's a condition that can be difficult to diagnose and treat. I definitely need to visit my doctor.

Comments (99)