SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Wool vs polypropylene rug

Nothing Left to Say
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm back with another rug question.

By way of background, I finally pulled up all my flor carpet tiles and took them outside to clean. I used carpet cleaner on some and dish soap and water on others and they still look grimy to me.

I also think they have a faint odor. Slightly musty, perhaps from taking a while to dry. But I prevailed on my neighbor for an opinion and she thinks it's a faint dog odor. She says the house does not smell like dog, just the flor tiles. Dog doesn't actually spend all that much time on the rug, but I can see how the rug would hold the smell the most as he is not allowed on the furniture.

So next step is to replace with a new rug. I know we want something a little darker in color and with pattern this time.

But I'm trying to narrow down my search to wool or polypropylene. We are looking at spending under $1000, preferably closer to $500. I know this is a very tight budget for a big rug--bare minimum 8 x 10, 9x 12 would be better.

In this price range wool rugs seem to all be hand tufted, which I understand often sheds quite a lot for a long time period?

I understand both materials are reasonably cleanable? That's a high priority. Is one better than the other for not holding odors? I really don't want my rug smelling like dog. I did vacuum and spot clean the flor tiles regularly but obviously that wasn't enough. I can add spreading and vacuuming up baking soda to my regular care for the rug, but I'd still like to go with a material that is less likely to hold odors.

Thank you for any help comparing the materials!

edited to add an old picture of the flor tiles in the room:

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022