SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missouribound

We're considering an alternate housing lifestyle

missouribound
8 years ago

For the last 20 years we've lived in a nice house in a traditional neighborhood. We've spent what seems like every weekend either working on the house or yard (big lot) and we're tired of working all the time. We're ready for low maintenance and weekends off having fun while we still can.

What we're considering is something like a barndominium or house that is mostly garage but with a small apartment also. Indoor RV parking and somewhere to live when we are there - dh still works a 9-5 job.

I thought I might be able to find a lot in the city in a neighborhood that allowed duplexes, build a duplex with an RV sized garage instead of the usual one-car, but there are no lots.

So the problem is finding a place to put something like that. Most land I've found on realtor.com is outside towns in a developed area and has building restrictions, even if it is outside the city. And the way cities expand all the time, it is getting harder to find land outside the city.

So the alternative is a lot in an area that allows mobile homes. I found one today that has no restrictions of any kind. Very rare. Also very expensive compared to other mobile home lots, and on a corner next to the highway. Just down the highway is a business with a bunch of junk cars. But around the corner, the street is all nicer homes. All the streets surrounding this street are mobile homes though.

I don't want to look down my nose at the way anyone lives, after all, we are considering living in a barn, but it bothers me that there is often so much junk around mobile homes.

And I'm concerned that if we do buy a lot like this and build a RV-minium, that we won't be able to get our money out of it when dh finally retires.

When we talk about this, we get kind of excited about being able to lock up a barn, get in the RV, and leave. But when I start looking at the reality of where to build it, the cost, etc, I get cold feet. When I'm in the RV on a trip, I think I can totally live in a small space, not our RV, but a small space of real rooms. But when I walk around my house thinking I won't have this or that, I have doubts.

I came here because I wondered if anyone has experience, at least with the buying and selling, and can tell me what the market is for them?

Comments (16)