SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeh_yeh

Help! Contractor messed up staining the stairs treads

yeh_yeh
8 years ago

My biggest mistake was to believe my contractor when he said he can match the stain to my engineered wood floor. When he originally stained the steps and there was variation that is not related to the natural wood feature (first half of steps were lighter in shade and the second half of steps are darker). The first big landing has a black half round mark (like a 'C') that was embedded inside the final coating. And they always missed spot when they apply the "final" coating, so they have applied 3 "final" coating. When I told them about that mark after the first "final" coating (that's when I see it), they said they will take care of it when they sand before applying the 2nd "final coating). Of course it was still there and there are multiple area that they missed and there is area that they left a puddle of coating and when it dried it has this rim of thicker coating around that area. The third time when they apply the "final" coating, they used the wrong sheen!! I want satin and the 3rd time he used high gloss! This is just pure careless!! And they still have missed spots! And I told them they did not take care of the dirt mark and then he said there's no way to take that out unless he sand it down to bare wood and I said do it. He did said if he do that the stain might be slightly different. What I didn't know is that it will be completely diff and uneven within the landing!! I have enough with him trying to "fix" it. DH and I are ready to get quote from stairs professional to see what options do we have. He has been nice and great on everything else except this stairs. Clearly he is not experienced in stairs which is not what I was told when I inquired him about it before I hired him. He also laid our engineered floor which he over estimated how much we need and now we have over 200 sqft of engineered floor extra sitting in my garage doing nothing ($2k worth). Would it sound crazy to rip out these solid wood treads and lay the engineered wood by a stairs professional? Or a good stairs professional can stain to match my engineered floor? The solid wood on stairs is white oak and my engineered floor is Mirage Carousel White Oak R&Q if that helps. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths