SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixtyohno

We got our first offer

sixtyohno
8 years ago

The house has been on for 31 days. We've had about 10 showings with very little negative comments. "The layout doesn't work for us. It's too private, not private enough. etc" We are asking $479. The offer yesterday was $400. This couple is weekenders and they have been pre approved for $500. They also asked if we would were interested in selling some of our furniture. Our response was thank you, but we can not counter to that offer.

Our realtor has not spoken to their realtor. The offer came in Sunday night and she wants to wait till this morning to call him.

First we were insulted, amazed and pissed off. Now we realize it's part of the process. We hope they will make a new offer that is more reasonable and allows us to continue. Any advise?

Comments (191)

• chisue
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update. Hope the HI finds no big problems.

sixtyohno thanked chisue
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Good luck and let us know.

sixtyohno thanked cpartist
  • Related Discussions

We got our first sneak peek from the photographer!

Q

Comments (9)
    You know, I never mentioned it when I saw the other photos, but meant to: I really LOVE your dress. You made a terrific choice, when you went for the shorter length. Just beautiful and glamorous. Looking forward to seeing more pictures!
    ...See More

we received our first offer..

Q

Comments (23)
    *lol* Different people live in different ways. And he is the boss in our house. To be fair though, this has been his home for 15 years, and mine only a year and a half. And, the only reason he is selling this for a bigger nicer home is for me and my children, so, I try to give the poor guy a break! We will know by 11:00 tonight if our offer is accepted or not. If not, there probably won't be any negotiating as another couple put an offer in today as well. Whichever offer is most attractive to them for whatever is reason is the one they will take. Hey, any Louisvillians care to take in a bossy dr. dr. professor, a 42 year old college student (and secret shopper) 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 4 cats? Anyone?... *sigh* guess not. Sure hope this goes through for us! ~Christina
    ...See More

How long to collect offers?

Q

Comments (29)
    "Had we received a back-up offer that we found more attractive we could have given the original buyers an option to remove their contingencies or taken the back up offer." Huh? I don't think so. Once you accept an offer that contains contingencies, such as inspection, financing, selling the current house, the seller has to honor them as long as the time period that was agreed on has not been exceeded. You can't give "the buyers an option to remove their contingencies or tak[e] the backup offer." Or are you saying that your buyers agreed to a contract in which you could declare the contract void if a better offer came along? This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 19:24
    ...See More

First offer, 100% financing.

Q

Comments (3)
    Most of the time the lender doesn't even see the inspection report. What does send up a red flag is if the seller is crediting the buyer money for repairs. I've experienced lenders objecting to this more and more lately--even on conventional loans with 20% or more down. A lot depends upon what repairs are needed. For example, a credit for new carpet is looked at differently than a credit for a new roof. In some instances the house won't appraise for the sales price without the repairs being done prior to closing. Some of this also depends upon where you live. In my area houses do not have to meet current building codes in order to sell. For example GFCI was not code in 1965. A house built that year doesn't need to have it, but it will appear in the inspection as a recommended update. It doesn't have to be done though. In other areas, the house must be brought up to current codes, or so I've heard. Based upon my recent experiences, lenders are looking at every loan with greater scrutiny this year. Sort of a trickle "up" effect of the increased number of foreclosures. The bigger concern I would have with the 100% financing in this instance is the $5000 of closing costs. That seems a bit high to me, but I also don't know your location, what exactly the $5000 will cover, the sales price, etc. That information would really help determine if you have a good borrower/buyer or need to reject the offer.
    ...See More
  • pamghatten
    8 years ago

In my part of NY, Western NY, no inspection is done until after a contract has been signed ... it's one of the contingencies on the contract, like the financing.

sixtyohno thanked pamghatten
  • blueheron
    8 years ago

Folks: advice is a noun, advise is a verb - one gives ADVICE and is ADVISED. Loose is an adjective - it describes something, like a LOOSE coat.. Lose is a noun - you LOSE something.

signed: The Grammarian who is tired of grammar not teaching in school any more.

• gyr_falcon
    8 years ago

signed: The Grammarian who is tired of grammar not teaching in school any more.

Grammar isn't teaching in school any more, blueheron?

• blueheron
    8 years ago

Not that I noticed...

• C Marlin
    8 years ago

Who is Grammar?

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Really? Nearly a month and more than 130 replies later you want to jump in and divert attention from the OP's subject just so you can point out a spelling error, making your own grammatical error in the process? Grammar doesn't teach - it is taught. But you knew that, right? Hope your day got better.

Sixty -- hope things go smoothly today.

sixtyohno thanked lascatx
  • sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks lascatx- It went great. The inspector found that the air conditioner didn't go on. It went on for us when we got home, so go figure. The buyers were signing the contract today. Everyone was happy. Nothing found and no questions asked except does the dehumidifier in the basement come with the house-yes. A radon tester is in the basement and the inspector forgot his water sample kit so he will get his sample when he comes back to pick up the radon thing.

So now they want the house asap, but they still want a mortgage and I need a closing date so I can book a mover. I don't understand how I can move my stuff 1000 miles at the last minute when they are clear to close. We are closing on our new house in St Augustine next week, but I am reluctant to leave an empty house here in NY and suppose something goes wrong and we don't close and we need to relist? I know I am whining, but this is stressful. Better than it was a few weeks ago, but still uncertain as to moving.

We have a 15 foot dumpster almost filled and lots of stuff is packed and neatly stacked in boxes in the garage.

• ncrealestateguy
    8 years ago

Did they find out if a pool can be built?

sixtyohno thanked ncrealestateguy
  • sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

They thought they could just say they want a pool and get a permit from the town. Of course it doesn't work like that. You need a pool company and some plans before you can get a permit. So their realtor sent their lawyer the town's requirements for a pool and it was decided that there was room somewhere on our 6 acres. There has been no more mention of the pool.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Yeah, on six acres you would think that if there is a will, there would be a way somewhere on that lot. Glad everything else went well and the buyers are happy. You should have a better idea of timing Monday or Tuesday, and you can't really do much about scheduling a move until then.

I hear you about the stress of not knowing, but it will resolve itself soon. Hang in there, At least you get a priority move. When we were moving my son for grad school, the small moves have a week or ten day window for pick-up that gets scheduled as it gets closer, then they take the stuff to the warehouse and reload on the larger vans when they know who is going that way and has room. When they do the pick-up, you still have a week to two week delivery window -- with an empty apartment on the other end and a three day drive (for him) or a last minute flight to book (for me). And my other son was moving into his apartment ebout the same time and we didn't know if I would be able to help him before, after or during his move. But it all worked out great -- bet yours will be just fine too. If it's a slower time table, you might just get to enjoy one last white Christmas,

Oh -- as for that AC -- my bet would be on the inspector not knowing the equipment. Take care.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

So glad it all went well. Hoping you can move quickly now.

• chisue
    8 years ago

"Only" the closing to go and you're GONE!

sixtyohno thanked chisue
  • sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's endless. Still no signed contact. Everything was fine. We agreed to pump the septic and replace a frozen valve on the water tank. Now the radon results just came back and they are 18 and 17. Very bad. We said we would pay them for mitigation or we would do it whatever they prefer. No response yet. My realtor is worried that they can back off if it scares them. Does mitigation always work? Do buyers back out because they are afraid mitigation won't work? I am so stressed now.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

http://www2.epa.gov/radon

If I were the buyer, I would ask you to mitigate it and then have it retested. Half-way time of radon is less than 4 days, so once it's fixed, test results should improve quickly. Of course, the question is also what the outside radon levels are in your area.

radon in NY

sixtyohno thanked nosoccermom
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Chances are if there's radon in your area, it's also in the surrounding area. The mitigation isn't too expensive.

• User
    8 years ago

If the house always has radon and without mitigation, it should not be too horrible as your family have been living in the house for years and are still healthy and well.

Ask your realtor what else she could do besides being worry? Her responsibility is to remove your worry by selling the house, finding resolution for issues and problems, and getting new backup contract.

sixtyohno thanked User
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Azmom, read up on radon. Those numbers are high. Apparently radon gas is the number two cause of lung cancer after cigarettes.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

That's correct. About 21,000 deaths/year. Unfortunately, the logic that OP is still healthy and well doesn't really apply. We all know people who smoke like chimneys and live to be a 100, and yet, it's clearly established that smoking causes lung cancer.

sixtyohno thanked nosoccermom
  • sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have a contract. They signed and sent the deposit. We will allow money at the closing so they can have it re mediated after the closing. Their realtor is bringing a contractor tomorrow to determine a price. We will sign on Tuesday after we go over the contract line by line with our attorney.

We were shocked by the radon numbers. Our basement is dry. The floor is concrete and was coated with a cement sealer recently. We can't find any cracks. However according to various maps, there is a 50% chance o radon in our area.

• handmethathammer
    8 years ago

Was it vacant? Our house came back with higher than expected numbers and our realtor told us that vacant houses have higher radon levels. She had reason for this.

sixtyohno thanked handmethathammer
  • User
    8 years ago

I should have made it more clear. I did not mean mitigation for radon problem is not required. Instead, I think the realtor needs to find out if the test is indeed accurate, or if there is existing mitigation in the house as the homeowners are well after living there for years. It is possible the homeowners are more resilient than others, but it is an example too random to be useful.

Sixty, What mitigation would they take for the radon issue? Have you ever tested your house for radon in the past? Why your family did not get impacted by the high radon level?

handme, In the past I also heard vacant houses have higher radon levels, what are the reasons per your realtor? Does it mean if a house is being lived in, going in and out of the house would reduce the level?

sixtyohno thanked User
  • rrah
    8 years ago

AZMOM-- being affected by radon is not like carbon monoxide poisoning which happens quickly. It's more like asbestos where it can take years/decades to show up. Simply because sixty's family is not effected today is no indication that the test results were inaccurate. People have already indicated she lives in an area with high radon. The tests are generally accurate. Even if the number was over a bit, 18 is a very high level. Given that the recommended level is 4 or lower, even if the 17/18 was off, it's likely the number is well over 4.

The house has a high reading because of the geology of the area--nothing more, nothing less. Vacant houses might have higher levels, but Sixty's house is not vacant. She lives there!

Mitigation is generally easy to accomplish. It's really just a pipe in the ground on the lowest level of the house or crawl space. A fan is attached to the pipe to and then the pipe is extended outside the house.

The person performing the test and/or the inspector would certainly have noticed if a mitigation system existed. It's easy to see it.

Sixty--even in new construction radon can exist. Remember it's a gas. It doesn't take much space for it to come into a house--cracks or no cracks. You are absolutely doing the right thing in giving them money at closing to install the system. Just remember, you can't give them cash. It should appear as a credit to them.

sixtyohno thanked rrah
  • chisue
    8 years ago

Sorry for this glitch, but glad it's been resolved. Would you mind sharing what amount you will have to allow the buyer to remedy the radon problem?

This is more serious, but it reminds me of buyers who wanted any lead-based paint discovered and removed from the house friends of ours were selling after 30 years. Our friends replied that even if there was any lead, it apparently hadn't harmed the brains of their two children, raised there from infancy and both graduates of Stanford's engineering schools. The buyers dropped their demand.

sixtyohno thanked chisue
  • lascatx
    8 years ago

From what I've read, radon is actually more of an issue in newer homes because they are probably built more tightly to be energy eficient. An older, drafty house would have less of an issue since the gas could escape. I've never dealt with it though, so I'm glad to hear it's an easy fix and won't hold things up.

• User
    8 years ago

Sea Story from a Retired US Navy Submariner.

Back in the day we sometimes went to sea with civilian "riders" or technicians. In those days radium dial wrist watches were common. Invariably as we were headed out of port, our Radioactive Airborne Gas Monitors would alarm in response to very high levels of activity. We would verify that it was Radon Gas, a daughter product of radioactive radium and find the person(s) with said watches. We would confiscate them, treat them as the uncontrolled radioactive material they were, and seal them in a clean paint can, wrapped in special bags, and finally put into one of the escape trunks, which in turn was sealed isolated from the rest of the boat!

When we came back into port we gave them back their watch. Rarely did we have repeat offenders.

During my turn as The Radiological Controls Officer, I woud tell those riders that if they brought their watch back aboard the boat, I would toss it over the side.

I would not allow my family to be exposed for an extended period of time to the high level in this case. As has been pointed out, mitigation usually is relatively easy and generally not expensive in the grand scheme of things.

sixtyohno thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

rrah,

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.

Salti, I really enjoyed your story.

About 30 Years ago we almost relocated to Long Island. During house hunting, it was the first time we learned about Radon as we were told that a huge, beautiful neighborhood had radon issue. In another relocation trip to a different state, we also saw pipes sticked out from basements, and were told that they were for Radon mitigation.

Sixty, Hope the Radon related discussion does not trouble you too much. Most important we hope your family is well and this transaction will be closed smoothly and on time.

sixtyohno thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Used to be said that frequently areas with large granite concentrations were found to have Radon issues. Think New England, for example.

sixtyohno thanked User
  • otterkill
    8 years ago

We were buying a house that had radon in 2013 and it had to be mitigated before purchase or the mortgage wouldn't be approved.

sixtyohno thanked otterkill
  • sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The buyers sent a contractor this morning to decide on a price for mitigating the radon. We don't have an amount yet. We are much calmer now that we have a contract. We meet with our lawyer on Tuesday to go over the contract and unless she finds something, we will sign it. The estimate for their mortgage is 4 weeks till commitment and then 2 more weeks till closing. The mortgage is less than half the price of the house so maybe it will go easy.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's all moving along. The contract is signed by both ends. The radon mitigation is $1350. We will allow it and they will have it done after the closing. We will allow $100 for the chimney cleaning. The only thing left is the septic cleaning and inspection. We pay for the cleaning, $260. They pay for the inspection. I think that will happen next week. Our septic guy's truck is being service.

So we are cleaning out and packing. I am sad to be leaving this house which is so perfect for us, except for the expenses and the weather. The Florida will take some work and getting used to.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update. Sad to leave, but you have many happy memories. I hope Florida will be everything you want! Think how lucky you are to be able to *choose*!

sixtyohno thanked chisue
  • User
    8 years ago

We have moved a lot. I have taken a very small rock or brick from every home with me. I put them in the garden at the next place. I have quite a collection now..but it gives me some comfort and brings good memories when I walk by them. Perhaps you can take something tangible to remind you of the wonderful memories you have.

sixtyohno thanked User
  • sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am going to divide several of my peonies and dig up a few iris that I brought from my first house. I originally planted them 40 years ago. There is so much that I'm sure it won't be noticed.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

You are moving into a whole new world where gardening is concerned, and it's one without peonies,I'm afraid, although with lots and lots and lots of things you couldn't grow before:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2077215/peonies-in-central-florida

Edit: While St Augustine is a bit north of central Fl, peonies don't grow anywhere here for the reasons explained in that thread.

sixtyohno thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Check out the Florida Gardening forum, and there's also a group on facebook of former members of the forum here who left back towards the end of the GW days when posts started going missing.

• gyr_falcon
    8 years ago

Plant Importation Restrictions for Florida

It is advisable to be aware of the regulations, too.

sixtyohno thanked gyr_falcon
  • beachlily z9a
    8 years ago

I live about 50 mi south of St. Augustine. Neither peonies nor iris will grow in FL. Not enough cold and too much rain. Sorry. Please, leave the plants where they are and move down here and find that what we can grow is even better. Tropicals do well (but not all will live in St. A.) but the selection is so vast, that I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I would recommend becoming a Master Gardener. That's what I did just to learn what will grow. Because I'm on Dayton'a barrier island, there are challenges, but oh my, so much will do well.

sixtyohno thanked beachlily z9a
  • lascatx
    8 years ago

I'm in Texas and we can grow some iris but not peonies. The iris we can grow here may not be the same varieties that grow where you are now -- and the soil in FL is different than here. I suspect any plans you try to move would not feel at home in FL. You might look into Louisiana iris and see if those can grow there.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

There are lots of beautiful plants that can be grown here in FL but bearded iris and peonies are not two that can be grown. The wonderful thing is that down here there is something growing all year long.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

You might find this thread interesting, including the arguments:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1942543/things-that-wont-grow-in-florida?n=114

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow-thanks for a great thread writersblock. I bookmarked it. My iris and peonies are 20-40 years old. I brought some from my first house. My friend is digging in a garden at the town hall. Maybe she can put a few there. I don't know if our buyers will garden. They are weekenders from the city and it's a lot of work or money to pay someone to do it.

Here's the FL garden. It looks much worse now because the house was empty for 2 months. Lots of weeding to do.

• beachlily z9a
    8 years ago

That look didn't come from 2 months of no care. Who ever tried to take care of it didn't do a good job. In a way, this just tells you how much of an effort it is to garden in FL. I do my gardening from Oct-April/May. Then don't do much in the heat. Starts all over again in the fall.

sixtyohno thanked beachlily z9a
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

That look didn't come from 2 months of no care

Yeah, more like two weeks in the summers down here!

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have a lot to learn.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Don't worry, everyone does when they move here from someplace else. Even within Fl, I grew up in Miami and now live in S central FL, but I'd have to learn all over again if I moved to, say, Palatka. You'll get the hang of it fairly quickly.

• sixtyohno
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are almost done. The septic was cleaned and "inspected." The frozen valve on the water tank was replaced. The open permit was closed. It just needed a signature. We will allow $1350 for radon and now all we need is for the buyers to get their mortgage commitment. We hope we can beat the snow.

It was quite a process. Not much fun, but it will be over soon.

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

It sure was quite a process but amazing to read.

sixtyohno thanked tete_a_tete
  • Stax
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Between the last post and yours, a Pandemic has set in, a new President was Elected, an impeachment occurred, I adopted a Greyhound from a track in FL, I developed a Heart Condition, a former President died, We're now on Windows 10, and the home you are describing has likely sold at least once.

AND I REPORTED YOUR POST AS SPAM!