SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoletta7

Last minute suggestions on tech wiring, or expansion

Nicoletta
8 years ago

I am throwing in my mineral wool insulation as fast as I can cut it since I absolutely hate how it irritates my skin and covers the entire house with fine steel particles. I had to pull out a couple batts already because I forgot I wanted to add some cat 6 cable in to the wall instead of the floor in my office and living room.

I am going to order a 1,000 foot of cat 6 cable and also 500 foot of 16AWG speaker wire. Possibly 250 foot of 16AWG 4 pair speaker wire too for future volume controls. I am just running wire, not going to install speakers or controls at any time soon. So far I have thought of:

1.)installing cat 6 cable to future designated cameras in the attic/soffit.

2.) Running speaker wire to a central location in the living room and from there running it to all four corners of the room for a future 'surround' sound. At least two front and two rear speakers is the idea.

3.) Same thing with 4 speakers in the master bed all ran into the designated tv/computer area

4.) A couple long runs of speaker wire from office amp area to the living room/dining (all open floor plan) and the back deck near the soffit for a future outdoor speaker, and maybe one to the garage. This would just allow me to stream music in the whole house since it's an open concept I would get music in the office, living/dining/kitchen, back deck, and garage for those days off that I get to mess around. I don't see any reason for a lot of speakers in each room and figured just a couple in the living area would be good.

5.) Running a volume control wire down the wall in the living space, garage, and back deck to be able to adjust those speakers individually.

6.) Running cat 6 to the future TV and Computer locations. I am thinking about just having the cable and fishing it through a 1/4" hole in the drywall instead of buying the expensive boxes and keystones. I don't want to put any extra boxes in my wall because it eliminates that much more insulation on exterior walls.

Anything else I should consider? I will have an open unfinished basement for future runs, but I wanted to get all the attic and wall runs done before I complete insulation. I have a relatively small home but I do want to have these wires ran now since the wire is fairly cheap - at least compared to the equipment it feeds!

Comments (5)