SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - resilience of Mother Nature

jacqueline9CA
8 years ago

We have a cabin in No Cal, in the forest near a large creek. In the Fall of 2014 there was a 10,000+ acre fire 5 miles upstream from our cabin in a very steep area of a National Forest. This past July, there was a lot of rain, and, in a story which is very familiar to anyone who lives in CA, some of the burned over area had landslides, which formed natural dams in the creek. In late July the dams broke and thousands if tons of mud and sand came down the creek. It formed mud flats all along 10 miles of both sides of the creek, killing all of the fish, etc. The point of this story is that, within 4 weeks of the creek "mud sunami", the new mud flats on either side of the creek were covered with moss, and a little grass was sprouting, and even some tree seedlings were coming up.

Here is a pic of the creek 4 days after the mud flow - the normal "bank" is where you see the bushes:

Same area a month later:

Close up of the amazing moss:

So, the creek is full of mud and sand, but life is going on just fine. We hope that winter rains and or snow melting in the Spring will wash the mud away, but I must say that moss is beautiful and I will miss it. I saw an article in a magazine once about how you could spend lots of money having a "moss lawn" installed in your garden - Mother Nature did it for free!

Jackie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations