SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Question about awnings

Debbie B.
8 years ago

I just had my roof snow coated and am praying that will get me through one more winter. I have a 1979 Kentwood SW, 14x56 with pop out in LR, and I live in eastern Washington state, near Spokane. The roof is the original, flat, zero overhang. It's a miracle it's lasted this long, but there were leaks last year in LR and back bedroom. Hopefully the snow coat will stave off further damage this winter.

Next summer/autumn I plan to get a roof over. It will have a 12" overhang on the long sides of the house and 6" on the short ends. I'll maybe get a small roof over the small 8x8 deck at the front door.

My question is whether I should get awnings over the doors and windows for this winter. One, should I worry about doing something additionally besides the snow coat? Two, will they actually prevent water from getting in through the windows? Three, is installing awnings a DIY project? I'm scared to death of attaching anything to the siding, which is actually in quite good condition. Three, I would want something durable, attractive, and not super expensive. Whom would you recommend? And finally, will they still look OK once the new roof is on, with the overhang? I don't want to pay good money to have them be disposable. (Except the front door, if I go with the roof over the deck.)

Any and all suggestions welcome! :-)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County