SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dert17

Questions about Sansevieria (after reading a book about this plant)

dert17
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm reading the book called 'The Splendid Sansevieria' by Chahinian B.J.. and I have some questions about this plant. I will have more questions later because I do not know English very well (I live in Russia) and I will read a book for a long time.

There are my first question. I will read a book and I will write questions later

1. "Extra-floral nectar is the secretion like dew, that can be seen
at the button of the flowers in almost all sansevierias. Sometimes it
also appears under the leaves of new growths off a stolon, where the
aerial roots start to show. This nectar is deemed to attract ants, thus
deterring other noxious insects that could damage the flower parts and
interfere with pollination
". (This is from book)

It's very interesting example how Sansevieria use the world. I mean we see a symbiosis. Plant (Sansevieria) + insects (ants). Maybe Sansevieria use the world more often. I mean maybe Sansevieria use a symbiosis with insects more often, is it true or not? Can you write some examples?

2. We see an example the symbiosis. Do all native Sansevierias form this symbios with ants? What native Sansevierias are most often used symbiosis with ants?

3. We know that some plants use mycorrhizas. I mean that some plants form the symbiosis with fungi. Do native Sansevierias use the symbiosis with fungi? I mean do native Sansevierias have mycorrhizas? Can you write more about mycorrhizas in Africa (Sansevieria + fungi)? What native Sansevierias form the most interesting symbiosis with fungi?

Comments (33)