SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Where have all the roses gone, long time passing?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was looking through my photos this morning, and just a bit startled to notice how many beautiful roses got spaded for one reason or another (usually too susceptible to BS or suffering winter damage or an attack of RRD). I really miss some of them--but remind myself there were reasons why I got rid of them, but today I just want to look at the positive--why I bought them in the first place--because they were lovely.

Mortimer Sackler--This was one fine Austin, prolific bloomer, BS resistant, tall--and one winter just didn't survive, unfortunately.

Love & Peace--gorgeous blooms on this HT (which had an attack of BS after each blooming cycle)

Golden Showers--I had this climber/rambler for many, many years. Then RRD got it!

Dr. Huey--guess I shouldn't lament his departure, but he is very attractive when he blooms in the spring.

William Shakespeare 2000--This lovely Austin also succumbed to a colder than usual winter, alas!

Cherry Parfait--I really don't remember exactly why I got rid of this floribunda--except that it always looked unattractively "blotchy" to me. But in this pic, it looks lovely.

Chrysler Imperial--was kind of a wimpy HT for me, and wasn't recovering well from a tough winter. At its best, lovely blooms.

Earth Song--the hot pink one in front. Started out as a fine rose, but seemed to have more and more trouble recovering from several hard winters in a row. It had RMV (rose mosaic virus)--wonder if that had anything to do with its lackadaisical spring recovery?

Gold Medal--impressive and tall HT. Loved the color, but not hardy enough for my garden.

Our Lady of Guadalupe--I was really disappointed when this steady and reliable bloomer didn't recover from a particularly bad winter. Our Lady in in the back right quadrant of this pic.

I've reached my limit of 10 pics. Will show more pics in another post. : )

Kate

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21