SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

Where have All of our Bruggers Gone!

chena
13 years ago

With the weather taking a turn for the worst I honestly thought there would be a lot more going on.. I don't think I have every seen it this slow.. We're going to have to do something about that..LOL I know there is Snow so where are the pic's??? Who has started seed? How are those cuttings coming? What is your next BIGGEST Want? Never know someone here may have it.. It could be me...LOL ;0)

So whats going on ??? I'd âÂ¥âÂ¥âÂÂ¥ to know..

Kylie

Comments (77)

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Barb - Thanks, I'll probably go ahead and leave the DR in the window since David does the same. It's still small because I just got it from Joey at the swap last fall.

mnwsgal - Where are you going in Texas and do you have a specific date? There are so many options we could point you to. There are usually a few brugs for sale at some of the nurseries, but if you can make it to a swap that's even better.:-) We'd love to meet you.

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in Texas also.. Pam and Kristy are as well...

Kylie

• Related Discussions

Where have all the 'oldtimers' gone?

Q

Comments (58)
    Applewood Annie, bless your heart for remembering me. I'm still around, though since I lost my DH last summer my time for checking in on GW has not been the same. Used to be that I popped in every single day - sometimes more than once, but I've no time for that any more, and not so much time for my gardens either I'm sad to say. I've tried to make a promise to myself to photograph the gardens more this year, even if only to help me some day remember the beauty I created around a home I no longer can view as being the place I'll stay the rest of my life, sigh. Sorry to hear about your health problems. What a terrible time you have had! I hope you have some beautiful roses anyway this year - and better days ahead. It's fun to see so many people pop in, but sad when I see the names of some very wonderful people I met here over the last 12 years and now so many of them are lost to us all. That's the nature of this way of relating to people. We only see a small window on someone's life and they can close it and turn their backs at any time, leaving us in the dark as to what happened. That's the trouble; never having the end of the stories...
    ...See More

Where have all the colors gone?

Q

Comments (2)
    That's weird. I just went to the gallery and there are 3 paint colors on the first page, 3 - 4 on the second...they are often one word titles, but reds are the last post on the first page right now, and I have linked a post about yellows and gold below. Here is a link that might be useful: favorite yellows and golds here
    ...See More

Where have all the copyeditors gone?

Q

Comments (33)
    Annpann - You asked whether I had had something published. Yes, as I used to freelance write a column for Entrepreneur magazine's sister website. The column was based on work/life balance which is incredibly ironic as I am such a stress monkey at times. Anyway, that gig lasted a year and then easy come, easy go as the saying goes. Then I have lots of ghost writing floating around, which I wrote, but has someone else's name on it. Grumble. Topics range from engineering to medicine to book reviews to anything in between. And then I have a meeting with an agent at the end of the month to talk about a novel and NF book on sustainable energy I'd like to do. Wish me luck on that! I am rather nervous about it, but we'll see. Back to books: one of the best writing related books I can think of is "Bird by Bird" by Annie Lamott....
    ...See More

Where have all the ranches gone?

Q

Comments (21)
    All the ranches are in WI. We have ownership of them. Nearly everyone lives in one and almost nothing else is built. I am just kidding, but they are very popular here. I grew up in a ranch and went to Colonials when I married. We moved to a ranch a year ago and my spouse was unhappy about it, having always lived in a house with more than one story. It is all good now, but our neighborhood is still growing and we hope for more two stories to make the neighborhood look a little more diverse.
    ...See More
  • chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful Blooms Dave!!
    Karyn I love the Jade blooms.. I have not grown a Jade plant since I was a teen..I would love to find a Variegated one..

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Kylie I probably have a variegated jade somewhere. I don't even particularly like jades but I have a bunch of different ones. If I have it I'll send you a cutting when it warms up enough to send the brug.

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

Well, like everyone else up here in the northland, I've been hibernating or dealing with 27+" of snow...and going down to the basement to talk to the cuttings.
    The TV weatherpersons are all agog as to whether we'll set a new record for December. Hmmm, guess I'm still a southerner at heart despite 37 years in the tundra - LOL.
    Will

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I will be in TX between mid-January and mid-February. Will spend some time in Houston with family and may go to San Antonio. Do you all have swaps during the winter? Ours are in the spring and fall.

We missed the last snowfall, Will. Just 20 inches here. Thank goodness for neighbors with huge snowblowers helping to clear the end of the drive after the snowplow has passed. This seems more like the winters we had when I was a kid.

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Karyn..I think I saw one at Wally World last yr or yr before..

Barbra (hunnybunny2) lives in San Antonio..She's a sweety!!

20"~27" of snow!!! I would just die..LOL I hate the cold!

Kylie

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

mnswgal - The San Antonio Swap is usually in March. When you said you were coming down in the winter I was thinking of the longer winter up there and that it just might work out since spring here is much earlier. We have to get most things planted early before the heat sets in.

Here are some ideas for Houston:

Antique Rose Emporium - Great gardens and they have brugs in the display area but not sure if I've seen any for sale there. It's a little out of town, but if you do go to San Antonio then skip the interstate and go through Brenham. It's a little longer drive but well worth it and you can stop at the great outlet mall in San Marcos. There's also a nice San Antonio display garden worth seeing if you do get over here.

Buchanans - All kinds of great plants here mostly for a zone 9 climate, but a nice place worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood.

Houston Garden Center - I hear the other Texans laughing and it's because HGC is a parking lot with plants. I've seen brugs consistently at Houston Garden Center so it's a good option. They have an amazing selection at great prices if you print out the coupons from the website.

Zone 9 Tropicals - He's only open on weekends and generally doesn't open in the winter but you can contact him anyway. Definitely worth a visit if you love rare tropicals.

There are a lot of brugs in yards around Houston, but it will probably be a little too early for them to bloom unless we have a really warm winter this year.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have fun checking these out.

Those are the coldest weeks in MN. March is the beginning of spring for us, melting snow and shedding bulky winter coats. I love the winds of March. Actually spring doesn't really come here until May, but March gives me hope.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Mn Gal, right now its in the 70's in most parts of Texas, we usually do not get our cold weather until middle January and February. Houston has the best deals on plants, this time of the year. Let me know if you are coming down to San Antonio, I would love to meet you.. What kind of plants are you looking for? I have mostly tropical plants. Barbra

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Thanks, Barbra, it would be fun to meet you as well. I love meeting GW friends.

I am looking for variegated brugs and maybe amaryllis. Don't have a greenhouse so am limited in the plants I bring inside each fall. I've been decreasing the number that need to be overwintered inside and still have too many. Even with those in dormancy they need too much care and take up too much space. Gave away most of my tropicals including sending two hibiscus to Houston a couple of years ago.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

mngal - I'd love to meet you too so let us know your schedule as time gets closer. San Antonio is a wonderful place to visit so I do hope you can get here. Check Buchanan's for amaryllis bulbs in the spring.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

I'll let you know how plans work out. More snow again today.
    Those banks are getting pretty high, hard to see cars coming at the intersections.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That's really dangerous. We used to tie a red bandana on the antenna when we lived in Wyoming, but that's not an option for most cars now. Be careful out there!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Kylie, where are you in TX? Maybe it will be on our way to or from. We have no agenda, just escaping MN winter and wandering here and there.
    Bobbie

• carol57078
    13 years ago

I'm also up north like Bobbie, all the brugs are in the basement.I won't start seeds until march. We don't have as much snow, but friday could get 8 inches. I think I like the single brugs also, with our short growing season I get to see more blooms. Happy Holidays.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Zone 9 is my absolute favorite tropical nursery. Bob and Wayne are as wonderful as their plants. I've been buying from them for years. I'd love to be able to visit in person. I'm not sure how far Rosenburg is but Caldwell has some great plants, all kinds, not just tropicals. I used to buy from them but they stopped doing mail order a few years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: caldwell nursery

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Thanks, Karyn, I will add them to my list. Sounds like they are on the way to my brother's SW of Houston. They also have a nice selection of alocasia which I have started to collect.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Waving to you, Carol. Are you in the NE? I hear a storm is headed that way. We only had 4.5 inches on Monday and the one coming tomorrow is to just dust us.

I will also wait until March to start my brug seeds.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Where do you think? We're Christmas shopping and baking cookies! LOL! I'm done, now I have to clean the house. Making Christmas dinner for the smaller wing of the fam. Brugs are all comfortably asleep, I just watered them for the first time the other day. I'm enjoying other things in the house: abutilon (red), african violet (purple edged white), amaryllis (apple blossom and red lion), christmas cactus, streptocarpella, would you believe potted rosemary is blooming?
    Diane

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Diane - That's great your rosemary is blooming indoors and all the other blooming plants that are doing so well indoor for you.

mngal - I'm pretty sure Kylie lives near Ft. Hood off I-35 between Austin and Dallas. If you head home from San Antonio you would definitely go through there.

Of course if you are close to Kylie then you'll pass right through princealbert's neighborhood and you don't want to miss meeting PA either.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Just relaxing here at 5 AM until all the activities began at 5 PM. My 17 y.o. gd and her bf are cooking Christmas eve dinner for 10. Yesterday late afternoon, my dd called that the menu was ham, and Cornish hens for those of us that don't eat pork (think I'm the only one), and that gd and bf would do all the cleanup before as well. I asked if they had started already. No, they went out! We had a good laugh because these kids have no clue on how much time it takes to cook a dinner, and cleanup, LOL!

Anyway, I had been without computer since last Friday. The dsl people couldn't help me, but two days ago I was finally able to get on using 'safe mode'. Now, I'm only on the computer for short spans. After the holidays, I will take it in to Best Buys and have them check it out.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Last minute change of plans- bad weather ahead for Christmas day so we won't be traveling to our son's homes in VA. We'll be spending a quiet but safe day at home with our grown daughter. Her & I will be baking cookies together today! We're so grateful to have her still at home- she brings so much life to the house! Guess I'm feeling a bit old this season!
    Merry Christmas and a Joyous New Years to all!
    kasha77

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey!! I am in Millsap .. That is about 50 W of FT Worth TX. off of I20.. Kristy is in Copperas Cove by Ft Hood and PA is in Belton about 45 min or so from her..If you are coming my way be sure to let me know.. I would love to meet you!

Kylie

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Thats me that lives near Fort Hood. Come on up and we will gather the gang to meet you, lol. Merry Christmas to you all.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Ooops! I got you mixed up didn't I? At least you straightened it out for me. Thanks ya'll!

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the invitations. I will notify you closer to the time. We will be watching the weather and head out when we see a good driving period. This winter is already long enough for me with over 40inches of snow so far. Hear that Thursdays storm may be rain which will melt down some of the snowbanks but also bring ice worries.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

mnwsgal
    If you happen to go home by way of IH-35,
    I am about 3 miles off IH-35 between Austin and Waco.
    Now for the punch line---
    I have a varigated noid brug that I needs cutting back. It blooms repeatedly in the summer here. I have lots of other brug cuttings also, mostly noids.
    yes I am trying to bribe you. I have no shame. LOL

If you come by I will try to get Kristy (Foolforflowers)to come over too.
    pa

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

pa, you were already on my list and you did not need to bribe me, but I'm not saying no to a cutting of a variegated brug which blooms repeatedly.

• knotz
    13 years ago

I'll be in the Nolanville area of Texas end of January for a week to see my new grandson and the rest of his family...My son leaves end of January for his 3rd tour to Iraq and wanna see him before he leaves too.

My granddaughters don't know my Mom & I are going down...They are gonna be SOOOO surprised!!

My grandson was born on Christmas eve.

knotz

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Congratulations on the birth of your grandson. What a wonderful holiday blessing that was.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I'm in Galveston, just down the coast from Houston. So far not a bad winter, no freezing temps, few wind chills in the 33 degree range. Mid 60's today & it looks like the sun is coming out.

MNWSgal drop me a line when you're down here. I'll give you a tour of Galveston. We only have one nursery on the island though.

I suggest Maas nursery in Kemah (they are having a bamboo sale right now!), Somewhere in Time, Buchanans both in the Heights. Josephs in Pearland. Houston Garden Center has limited stock right now & it's 80% off till Jan. 9th
    My brugs are blooming right now! There were a few that survived Ike and the freeze and some cuttings from spring. They finally all started growing & blooming around October. Desert rose are in bloom as are a few cactus, succulents, canna, clerodendrum sp, obedient plant, salvia, peppers, lions ear, amaryllis, hoya, shrimp plant, crinum americanum, few other things. The garden really likes the cooler temps and all the rain we've had recently. Finished digging the pond now just have to find a liner. The inside of the house is finished, fire and hurricane. Going to start the outside in the spring.
    Cuttings are all doing well except 2 which look like they aren't going to make it.
    Happy New Year!
    Tally HO!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Thanks, beachplant, for the suggestions and the invitation. I have added both to my lists.

My cuttings are full of roots and leaves.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

mnwsgal (Bobbie)

I thought I would tease some more. Here is a pic of one of the flushes on the varigated one.
    pa

{{gwi:589700}}

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Caren, congrats on your new gs! It will be so wonderful to hold a baby!

PA, great looking variegated brug!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Thanks eloise,
    That one was in the heat of the Texas summer.
    pa

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Oooh, you are a tease! Great photo.
    Bobbie

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Caren, shoot me an email when its close to time for you to come and I will try to visit. Albert that variegated one I got from you is still alive cross my fingers. It will be the only one I have ever managed to not kill if it makes it over the winter.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Kristi,
    I'll give you another if it dies.
    When karen comes down maybe we can all get together and do lunch. How is Lucy? I haven't heard from her in a while.

Bobbie,
    I already have your branch/cutting picked out. it has 3 branches and is about 1 1/2 ft tall.
    pa

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

PA, that is quite a cutting! You are a master at this bribery thing.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Bobbie,
    I made a mistake. It has 4 branches.
    pa

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Lol, Albert you are really doing the bribe thing. Lunch sounds good. Lucy has been busy with the kids and grandkids I think. We talked around Christmas but neither of us felt like getting out of the bed to meet, lol. I'll be glad when warmer weather gets here. Been sick on and off since before Thanksgiving but I am thinking most of it is allergies. Get ready for a long hard freeze next week.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

PA, I'm chuckling.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That big freeze headed this way next week looks like a monster! Brrrrrr!

We could get single digits for the first time in years. Last year was one of the coldest on record and the lowest night was 14o.

I'm moving everything inside too. Planted one brug out last summer so will double mulch and wrap the roots with Christmas lights.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

I guess I need to get the heaters out and check them out.
    pa

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

The "Deep Freeze" dire warnings are turning into "Sorta Chilly" and not so cold after all. It's a good idea to get a plan in place anyway in case we do get a big freeze sometime this winter.

• knotz
    13 years ago

Getting together with you all down there would be fun...Not sure how our time will go though...We only have 5 whole days to visit...I SOO can't wait to meet my new grandson and see my "girls"...Of course my son and his wife too...lol

Maybe I hide some palms or bananas in my suitcase and bring them home...lol

Kristy and Kylie...Can you give me your emails again please??

• chena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I sent you an email!

Kylie

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

We are heading south this Friday. We are wandering our way down and will take 3 or 4 days to get to TX. TX people, if you send me contact info I will give you a call or e-mail when I am in the area. Plans are still fluid while in TX but would let you know ahead of time before coming to your area. Anyone in the Dallas area? Will be going through there early next week. I do get e-mail regularly through GW.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

mnwsgal
    I hope I don't miss you.
    I sent you an email.
    princealbert

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida