SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

How essential are these rose books?

Rosefolly
8 years ago

Over the past 20 years or so I've been slowly gathering a decent small library on old roses. Recently I have been de-selecting some of my early acquisitions as being either redundant or too elementary. Mostly newly published books that come out don't have much to offer me personally, though they might have at an earlier stage of my garden life. Of course there are notable exceptions.

But I have also been looking at completing my collection of the older books. Already on my shelves there sit most of the ones I want to own, but would like to know how essential the following five books are. They are widely available in reprint. However, they are not cheap, and there is no point in filling my shelves with books I would never actually read.

The Book of Roses by Gore

History of the Rose by Shepherd (I thought I had this but I apparently not)

Old Garden Roses by Bunyan

Everblooming Roses for the Outdoor Garden of the Amateur by Drennan

Rose Manual by Buist

These are from the rather nice Old Roses reprint series that came out the 1970's, though they can also be found in earlier editions as well.

I also do not have Dean Hole's A Book About Roses, and I feel that I ought to, but honestly, I read a few pages and it is full of that overly sentimental Victorian language that makes me feel distinctly ill. Celia Thaxton's An Island Garden is a lot like that. A garden book club I belong to read it not long ago and I simply could not manage to swallow it.

I look forward to hearing from fellow loves of old books and old roses.

Rosefolly

Comments (27)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm