SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

What to do with this brick wall?

scoutfinch72
8 years ago

We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen/dining room/den. What used to be the den is becoming the dining room open to the kitchen. The previous owners, who originally built the house in 1979, had chimneys installed for the back sides of both fireplaces for woodstoves. We don't intend to have a wood stove in there but we don't plan to demo the brick, either. We are running thin on budget so I'm trying to decide what to cheaply do to the wall.

Cabinets will be white shaker style, counters will be Viscont white granite. Our table is actually a darker wood, and the floors will be less red than what is shown. We have red oak and are looking at Walnut stain.

I've thought about whitewashing it or painting it outright. We had white painted brick fireplaces in our previous 2 homes (one was already there and one we painted when we finished the basement) I didn't mind them terribly. I just know that once it's done I can't take it back! Should I leave it as is, paint it, or something else?

Here is the wall in question before we started demolition. It's just an odd brown color brick:

Comments (20)