SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosebay_gw

Feedback on kitchen layout

rosebay
8 years ago

Hello,

I've posted previous updates on my kitchen layout, and I keep refining and getting closer to what I believe will be the final layout.

I've included 3 images: the sink and range side of my galley kitchen - 9' wide, sink side 10' wall, range side 12' wall.

I'm pretty happy with the sink side - not much I can do with that strip of cabinets.

Range side - Are my upper cabinets funky? I'm right handed. So, thought that as I was standing at my range, cooking/stirring, that it would be better to reach up to cabinet on my right side to pull out oils, vinegars, etc.

Very concerned / undecided about the cabinets in my laundry room. I'm removing a double oven from my current configuration and going to a range, in order to gain some much needed counter space in the kitchen. for 95% of my life, I've never used the double oven. For the rare entertaining event, I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a convection microwave - it will expand my cooking flexibility. BUT, because I don't want a microhood/ don't want a microwave on my counters, and don't want to reduce upper cabinet storage space in the kitchen, I've considered the microwave in the laundry room. Given the laundry room is in immediate vicinity of the kitchen, it's not inconvenient. I think this will be okay - what do you think? It will be right next to my washer/dryer. Is that too weird? Typically, I only use my microwave for heating tea and an occasional meal. And by occasional I mean 2x per month. The tea heating is everyday...

But, here's a bigger dilemma for me - I plan to have my baking center in the laundry room. The laundry room will have my biggest expanse of counter space, and be out of the way for holidays. BUT, I don't have a sink planned for the laundry room - do you think a sink would be worth losing 2'+ of my workable countertop space? Am I crazy for not including a sink next to the baking center?

Thanks to all for your advice! Getting closer to the home stretch... but this has been very stressful!

Anita

Comments (34)

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh, boy... that's intriguing. I think I'm going to actually roll my refrigerator into that spot to get a general idea of how that would change the space in the dining area. That small area is my only dining room, so I'm a little concerned that it will become very cramped. I guess I could always get a rectangle table, maybe even add a bench along the wall, under the window.

Screenshots below of what the new layout would be. Benjesbride - I will get a few more pics of the dining area and move the fridge into place later today - could I ask you to take another look and provide feedback on the space issue? (and, thanks, btw, for cleaning my dining room table! Is that what it looks like without all of my projects cluttering the top?!!)

And, I guess this would solve the problem of the baking center in the laundry room - I'd have more space to move it where the refrigerator was... I'm liking this!

• Related Discussions

Need feedback on kitchen layout please!

Q

Comments (3)
    Any comments? Please! :-)
    ...See More

Feedback on Kitchen Layout

Q

Comments (19)
    sarahsaccount24 and mcarroll16, thank you both for the input! sarahsaccount24, I guess I was worried that the island would look really narrow and out of proportion at only 24 inches wide. Maybe it would be fine though. I had considered putting the dishwasher on the other side of the sink but thought just a few upper cabinets there (for storing the dishes) would look weird. I do like your idea of one of those cabinets that comes down to the counter, but I also want to use that counter for our espresso maker (it's messy and needs to be next to a sink). I was thinking I'd store the dishes in the upper cabinets to the left of the range. Regarding the door to the garage, we don't park in the garage so we use the front door more. But if we ever do start parking in the garage (unlikely, as that's where I store my gardening stuff, which is obviously way more important that the car :) ), I thought it would be convenient to come in next to the fridge and pantry for grocery unloading. mcarroll16, you're definitely right about the windows driving the design in the second drawing. I've considered shrinking the window at the top of the plan to move the range up and make the counter above it smaller. I do a lot of baking, so that counter would be useful as my baking area (it's also right next to the pantry, so that's nice), but it doesn't need to be that big. I've also thought about scooting the range over so it's closer to the top window to gain a few inches on the other side. Regarding the sink issue, the main prep area in the second drawing would be on the island, so that would be the prep sink. I know it has the dishwasher next to it, but we really only use the dishwasher for actual dishes (plates, bowls, cups, silverware) - I tend to hand wash everything else. So I would put all my dishes from preparing meals in the cleanup sink (the one in front of the window) to be washed after meal prep was done, and then we would just put our dishes in the dishwasher after the meal. That's how I currently cook, so I guess I was just planning to continue that pattern, but I know others would advocate for putting more things in the dishwasher. If I gained a few more inches between the window sink and range, I could fit the dishwasher in there, but then my dishes would probably go in the island, and I'd really like to keep that area available for food prep tools. Also, having the dishes stored below that top window (which I would do with the d/w as currently drawn) would keep them close to the fridge.
    ...See More

Looking for feedback on kitchen layout (for storage + entertaining)

Q

Comments (6)
    I agree on the cooktop -- it should not be in the island. Downdrafts are lousy vents, so be prepared for it not to do much good, especially if you use the front burners. It may work OK for low-smoke/low-steam/low-grease/low-odor cooking on the back burners. You say " no kids yet "...if you are planning to have children, don't create an adult-oriented/entertaining-oriented space like this. You will eventually be teaching them how to help out (cleaning up, etc.) as well as, I assume, at the least the basics of cooking. In fact, once you have children, you may find yourself cooking a lot more! Meaning make this a place where you can prep/cook, not simply a place to stand around with nothing really going on in the Kitchen. Just a note that if you're planning an "entertainment" Kitchen as opposed to a working Kitchen, then the location of the cooktop makes even less sense. Cooking not only puts hot food/steam/smoke/odors in the face of anyone sitting there, but it's also the zone used the least of the three primary work zones. 70% or more of your work & time is spent prepping 20% or less is spent cleaning up (includes mostly non-sink work) 10% is spent cooking -- actually standing in front of the cooktop to stir or add ingredients (most people don't stand there and just watch food cook) So, what zone should be in the island? The one you spend the most time in -- the Prep Zone. Usually people want to be able to visit while working in the Kitchen and since you spend the most time prepping, that's where the Prep Zone should be.
    ...See More

Looking for feedback on kitchen layout

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm not sure an island is a good idea in this kitchen. The cook will have to pass in front of the range every time a trip is needed b/w the sink and the fridge. If there'd be traffic coming from/going to the door in the upper right I expect people to choose the shortest route and pass in front of the range. Where is the powder room door? If it's on one of the shorter walls or can be moved there I suggest something like this.
    ...See More
  • rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Another thought - what if I "lose" that built-in hutch to the left of the doorway? Then, I could add a wrap-around bench, creating even more room in that corner. With the added cabinetry from moving the refrigerator, I wouldn't need the hutch space?

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Can you post a drawing of your dining room space and include the window, current doorways and hutch location?

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Last night I was trying to figure out if that hutch recessed into your pantry. I really do think that should be removed. You'd gain all that space on the back side and you could put a beautiful piece of art on that dining room wall.

In fact, will removing the hutch give you enough depth between the edge of the garage door and the dining room wall to put the washer and dryer on that end? It would free up the windowed end of the pantry for kitchen stuff. it might create a clearer separation between laundry and kitchen back there. Also, you wouldn't be able to see the washer/dryer from the dining table.

I'm good at inflating other people's kitchen renovation budgets :-) Here's another rough drawing to help explain.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

What about flanking your dining window with shelves and putting a bench between them. When it's just you, you can push the table up against the bench for more floor space.

Bright English Beach Cottage · More Info
    Seneca · More Info

Traditional Farmhouse Breakfast Nook · More Info

kitchen inspiration set 2 · More Info

Mazer Kitchen · More Info

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

I like benjesbride's suggestion of a bench flanked by hutch cabs in your dining room and moving the fridge to the sink side. That gives you loads more counter and storage on the range wall, which means you could move your baking center to the kitchen and add a laundry sink to your laundry room. (I'd find it annoying not to have a sink handy when baking. How else will I wash off my egg-y fingers?)

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Love benjesbride's suggestions and inspiration pictures. I think that's the best solution if you can move that door down to make it work.

If you're not hung up on having the sink under the window, you could move the sink and DW to the left, into the extended cabinets moving the door to the laundry would give you, and put the fridge on the far right of that sink wall if you would prefer not having the fridge so prominently seen. Since most of us spend more time prepping than actually standing in front of the sink, this means your prep space could be in front of the window, in-between the fridge and sink. That's perfect placement, imho.

Just in case you don't decide to go that route, my answers to your questions in the OP are: Your cabinet layout looks fine to the right of the range. In fact, the whole kitchen looks great. I have my microwave in my adjacent laundry room as well for, basically, the same reasons you've given. It works just fine for us and I love not having a microwave cluttering up my small kitchen. I would not put a baking center anywhere there isn't a sink for the reasons Lisa stated. I'm constantly using when I bake (and when I prep, too) and I can't imagine doing either without being right next to a sink. If I had to do either without a sink nearby, I'd probably have to have a bowl or small wash basin filled with hot, soapy water on the counter next to me. I'd rather pay the extra money to have a real sink than do that.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

If the fridge was placed to the right of the sink, could the counter wrap to the left around the corner into the area that presently houses the dryer? There's a window there that might accomodate a lower counter for the baking center.

rosebay thanked sheloveslayouts
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I don't see why not but wouldn't that open up your laundry room more to view from the dining room? I'm wouldn't want that. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. Do you have an overhead drawing of your layout to scale for us to work from? I think we worked with one in your previous post, right?

rosebay thanked funkycamper
  • rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Answering questions top to bottom:

@benjesbride -

• attached are photos and my attempt at the floor plan.
    • The hutch is recessed into the pantry/laundry room
    • No, there wouldn't be enough space for the washer/dryer - the hutch extends 9.5" and then there is 22" between that and the garage door. Well, I guess there would be space, but with only about 1" wiggle room. Plus, the added cost of new plumbing in that wall would make this somewhat prohibitive for me.
    • I like the flanking idea! Especially when I saw the inspiration photo with a wine cooler - that is the only thing I haven't found a way to fit into my plan.

@lisa_a

• I agree on the baking center - I didn't really like it out in the laundry room, and there just isn't enough space for a sink in there

@funkycamper

• I would really like to move the door- from looking at the rough layouts, I think it would be wonderful. A little worried about how much it will cost. Any ideas on that?

Proposed layout above

Current layout above

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I really have no idea how much it would cost to move the door. DH is my handyman so we only pay for materials. Plus, it will depend on what your walls are made of and prices vary a lot by different areas. I would try to get a quote.

I think it would be money well spent because it would add so much to your kitchen and should the door be open to the laundry area, it would hide your W/D better so people would just see the cabinets you will have in there for pantry and other storage. Also, it looks like the door would be more of a straight shot from the living room so someone doesn't have to kinda curve into the kitchen to use the door. It simply helps keep people out of your work space.

I totally love the idea of removing the hutch and surrounding the window wall with your cabinets. I think that will really open your space up visually and make for nicer ability to seat people at the table without the hutch behind. And I have a feeling you will use the window seat to read, browse recipe books, whatever more than you would enjoy doing that sitting at the table. It really creates a nice space, doesn't it?

I still like the idea of flipping the sink wall like this. If you cook like most of us, as I mentioned before, you spent more time prepping than washing dishes. So why not spend it in front of the window? My concern with the fridge in the corner is that you do need space where I have the lime green rectangle to allow the door to swing open side enough to open produce drawers. Different fridges have different swing requirements so you will need to check yours. Most people put in a small pull-out pantry or broom closet in that space. Or, if your fridge doesn't need much room to swing fully open, it can be nothing and just a good place to poke a broom into or leave empty. Just depends on if you need 3" or 9", right? As you can see below, how far you need to have the fridge from the wall means it might crowd the window or even cover part of it. Obviously, if that's the case, this is a bad idea.

Alternatively, there really isn't any reason you can't leave your fridge where it was. IIRC, you live alone so it's not like you're going to have a bunch of continual traffic in/out of your kitchen, crossing over the work zones, to get drinks and snacks from the fridge. And leaving it there obscures it from view from the dining/living areas. I'm not a fan of the looks of fridges myself so this would appeal to me. Plus, this gives you nice stretches on each side of your sink. One side for clean-up and one for prep/baking.

I know I'm not giving you many solutions. Just more things to muddy the waters.

ETA: Lovely home and adorable pup!

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Funkycamper - I've taken another look at the kitchen, and don't think I will alter the sink side - lots of plumbing cost involved and that will drive my total cost up to much - I'm trying to keep everything under $35k, not including appliances. I think I can sneak the move of the door in, but not all of that plumbing. Not a huge fan of the fridge located at the end of the sink run, but combined with the other benefits of the baking center in the kitchen (and right next to the range and sink!) and having a huge run of cabinets, I'm thinking it's an excellent approach. PLUS, benjesbride suggestion to add the bench flanked by cabinets is a winner. (AND I will get my wine cooler - something I couldn't figure out) I've always been sort of annoyed by the hutch, so am very happy to get validation/permission to remove it!

I will probably delay the bench/flanking cabinets for a next phase.

Getting so excited for this thing to start.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Moving the door is an excellent idea! Is the built-in hutch original to the home, and in good condition? If so, I'd keep it. On the overhead plans it doesn't appear to interfere with moving the door over, and leaves room in the corner for a bench. You could extend the bench to the wall, making a little reading nook, and flank it with the free-standing cabinet on the other side.

If you don't think that will work, send me the hutch. ;)

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Hey, Rose - you don't have to move the fridge. You can keep the fridge in it's present location and still move the door and extend the counter to the left of the sink. If you're still planning that overhang beyond the living room wall, I'd skip it. with the extra counter space if you really want counter seating, you can put it on the end of the counter run, behind the wall. I'd like up the sink counter run with the edge of the living room wall. Not sure if that makes sense, so I'm putting a drawing below.

One more thing...We moved a door (that connected the kitchen to the garage) about two feet and I don't recall it being a significant cost in relation to a conservative kitchen renovation budget. The new fire-rated door was the biggest expense in that situation by far.

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@mama goose - yes, the built-in hutch is original to the home. and, yes, even with moving the door over, there would be room for the hutch to remain. But, I like benjes point that it would give me more space in the laundry room, and the laundry room wouldn't have the awkward jutting out section. Plus - the hutch is the old style cabinetry, and I'd have to invest some $$ into getting it modified to look like the other cabinets. Estimates to replace it have been around $3000 since it would need to be custom, given it's a custom depth, etc. It just looks so...messy and cluttered to me, to have the table so close to that hutch.

You can have the hutch - come on over when I demo and we'll load up your truck :)

@benjesbride - wow... another interesting option! I will take another look. I can't believe you remember all of these details about the overhang. I get what you're saying about lining everything up.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

More questions and ideas... Does your garage extend out the front door side of your house--where the blue line is? Could you move the garage door to where the orange rectangle area? By doing that, that little room would go from being a hallway to two separate functional areas. I think.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

If you don't move the fridge to the sink wall, there's no reason to move the sink anyway. You can just move the door down and extend the counter on that side, leaving your sink under the window.

You still need to make sure you account for fridge door swing on that wall. I know that your current fridge swings the wrong way but you may have a fridge where the doors can be flipped to open the other way. If so, I suggest you do so as it will really make getting things in/out of the fridge much easier. Even if your fridge doors don't flip, it makes sense to plan for it because, at some point, someone will want to put a fridge there with the hinges on the other side.

I love the idea of removing the hutch and surrounding the windows with cabinets. But if it is original the house, it also gives me pause about removing it. I wonder if you would like it better if it wasn't so visually obtrusive into the dining space. Just throwing out an idea for you to chew on - you could paint it to match the walls or the same color as your trim and then add lighting behind the glass upper doors.

Great idea about making that laundry room area more functional, BB. Hope that is a workable solution.

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@benjesbride - do you do this professionally? Or just creative and have a lot of ideas??? Because, yes, the garage wraps around. I've updated drawing to show, below. And, it may involve a lot - new concrete steps to pour, framing, and there appears to be a lot of electrical "stuff" around that area. But it sure is an interesting idea! Seems like the space would be a lot more functional... Oh my gosh. I just realized something. If I did this approach, I could leave the w/d where they are and save about $2k on moving the plumbing to stack the w/d! I'm going to have to rework this when I get home from work tonight!

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oops! Forgot the drawing

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Not a pro, but thanks for the compliment! Like many here on GW, I've just had a (abnormal?) passion for floor plans since I was a kid. Playing around with and thinking through kitchens like yours is SO fun!

Funky's comments about the fridge are very valid. How about the fridge on the dining room side of the range wall? Your fridge would have full range to swing the correct way. Given a choice between the fridge next to sink of range, I do prefer fridge next to sink for function though.

If moving the door to the garage will impact the electrical panel, I would let that idea go. moving an electrical panel is big bucks and probably not worth the cost/benefit.

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm liking the fridge on the sink side, at the end of the run more and more... and mostly it's because it gives me SO MUCH COUNTER SPACE on the range side! I know many kitchens have big islands and that's just a luxury I've never known, but uninterrupted 5' of counter? That would be my idea of luxury!

And, yes, the refrigerator door swing can be moved to the opposite side.

When I said "electrical stuff" I just meant an outlet and a lamp in the garage side that would need to be adjusted. Electrical panel is far away and won't be impacted.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

It shouldn't cost much to move an outlet and lamp. I think it's worth exploring moving that door to give yourself that awesome pantry.

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@funkycamper - thanks very much for all of your help - it's really great to receive advice from people that clearly have been through this before and have experience.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Building off the great suggestions you've already received, here's my interpretation.

I moved the garage door, as benjesbride suggested. A straight shot from garage to kitchen will be very nice when you're carrying groceries. It also creates a nice divider between laundry area and pantry area. The other plus is that you get a cab next to your stacked W/D, which gives you a place to store detergents, set down items to fold and hang drip/dry items with either a shelf or a cab above, something like this:

Private Golf Residence, Rancho Mirage, CA · More Info

The opposite end of this area is your pantry with base cabs, counter & uppers on the shared kitchen wall (where your built-in cab currently is) and your relocated shallow wire baskets on the other wall. I guessed at how deep they are (4"?), which is why the aisle is a question mark.

Speaking of, all measurements are based on me figuring out your scale and counting all those tiny, tiny squares. I 'bout went cross-eyed. =) If you gave measurements, I sure missed them but hopefully I counted correctly.

Anyhoo, I put your MW at the end, so it's not too long a walk from your kitchen, especially if you take things from fridge to MW on a fairly regular basis.

The old doorway is replaced with a tall window, filling up the space, which hopefully means that you'll have little to no siding repair work to do. The bottom portion of the window will need to be tempered glass since it's so low. Tempered glass costs more so you should get 2 quotes: one to replace door with tall window and one to replace door with a window just short enough to avoid requiring tempered glass and siding repair and go with whichever route is cheapest.

I didn't note it on the plan but you can reuse your coat hooks and white board, placing them on the wall opposite the W/D (white board above coat hooks).

I couldn't tell if you already own a right hand swing fridge (hinges on right, as shown in your plan) but I assumed you do. That's why when I moved the fridge to the sink wall, I added a small peninsula to the range wall. That way when you open the fridge door, you'll have a landing area that is handy. If you haven't bought your fridge yet, definitely purchase a left hand swing door so that you can use the adjacent counter as your fridge landing zone.

I modified the banquette and bench area to show your current table, assuming that you're keeping it. I guessed at its dimensions but it looks nearly exactly the same size as our old table, which was 42 x 60 when extended.

I deepened the bench to 24" so that you have room for pillows or a padded back without shortening the seat area. The deeper seat also makes it easier to slide on and off the bench since it sticks out 6" beyond the hutches on either side of the bench.

Oops, forgot to add "w/ drawers" to the bench notes.

The aisle at the top of the table is tight so I wouldn't use that seat on a regular basis.

I recessed the fridge into the shared wall. If your fridge is counter depth, this isn't necessary but I couldn't tell what you own or what you plan to purchase.

I centered the range on the range wall, giving you oodles of space to work on each side. You can designate one side as your baking station.

Moving the fridge to the sink wall made room for a small seating overhang on the range wall. Since the peninsula and table seating isn't strictly back to back, I think you can cheat on the recommended 60" aisle here. I rounded it to mimic the shape of the table and because I think it looks nicer. =) You *might* be able to seat 2 here, provided you don't mind getting cozy. Not for a meal, just for coffee and visiting.

Another option is to wrap the counter around the wall into the LR, like this:

Couple's Modern Evanston Bungalow · More Info

Yours would be more open since it will only be facing a wall on one side.

Oh, one other thought for the banquette area would be to swap out the 18" base/12" uppers for 12" floor to ceiling cabs like these:

Traditional Kitchen · More Info
    You could swap out solid doors for glass for the uppers.

Do a mock-up to see how it would feel with 18" deep or 12" deep cabs on each side of the bench.

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So many things to think about - no wonder some people spend a year planning their kitchens. I can't even imagine what it would be like with a big kitchen to figure out. Another diagram, below. Not sure if it was obvious in previous diagrams, but the garage wraps around the laundry room. I've added a car and tried to show where the exterior door is. So that would prevent adding a window on that end of the pantry/laundry room.

I've also included my existing wash-up sink in the garage. I'm getting a little overwhelmed with all of the options and possible increase to the budget. I'm wondering if it would be better to leave the washer/dryer where they are. That saves around $1500 for plumbing and drywall repairs. I will go ahead and move the doors because I think that's a good choice and will support the future phase to complete the laundry room. Then, add the benches flanked by cabinets, removing the built-in hutch, and moving the refrigerator. That would "complete" the kitchen layout. I appreciate all of the detailed information on measurements - I wouldn't have thought through dimensions to ensure scooting in/out of the bench was easier.

With the added cost of the drywall repairs and framing changes, I don't think I will have a lot of wiggle room left. I'm thinking I will add necessary electrical to the laundry room for a next phase of adding the pantry cabinets.

Heck - I may not even need pantry cabinets now that I've gained so much storage in the kitchen!

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of removing the hutch and adding the cabinetry around that window, with a bench seat. That gives me the crystal display cabinet uppers and also makes much better use of the laundry room. As you can see from some of the pics above, because of that 9.5" jutting out into the room, I don't have a lot of useful space.

The microwave will stay on the kitchen counter for now (this will motivate me to finish the laundry room design).

NOTE: on diagram below, I have at least 5' of walking space between the house and the car - so going from the house to the outside wouldn't be a problem.

Also - I don't think I can do the pocket door, as I will need an electrical outlet for the microwave in that location. Same with recessing the fridge - I will need an outlet and plumbing for the water line, right?

So - here's what I will "save" from the current bid, and then what I will need to add to the current bid:

Plumbing and drywall repair $1500

Cabinets, counter, tile $6000

Total "savings" $7500

ADD to bid:

Move door to garage (I can always save that for a future phase if budget is squeezed too much)

Add concrete step from house to garage

Move pocket door - make it an opening as opposed to pocket door (the pocket door is never closed...)

Move refrigerator, add electrical outlet and water line

Remove hutch, repair drywall

Add custom cabinets and bench

Add electrical outlet for microwave and wine cooler

Add simple countertop to Washer/Dryer for folding clothes, etc.

Get a new dining table and chairs!

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Quick thoughts.

I've never seen steps from garage to house in concrete. Around here they're just made with wood. Our buyers last year wanted new steps from garage to kitchen and we got a quote from a handyman for $150 to credit back to buyers. Perhaps wood is cheaper than concrete, plus they can build it with a hand rail if you might like that.

I'd just line the pantry side with 16" deep Elfa organizers from Container Store; they always go on sale in January. Check them out HERE

I'd wire for the microwave on the wall opposite the dining room, next to the door to the garage. It's a more direct walk from the kitchen and since microwaves are hinged on the left it's a bit easier to use them from the right.

I would not skip the door from the kitchen/dining to the laundry/pantry. Either a pocket door or even just framing for a swinging door. I think it's important to be able to close the door on a laundry room to muffle the noise from the machines.

Finally, as I look this drawing I don't think you need to move the door to the garage to the other wall, you might just move the existing door over 6-12".

• rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks benjes and lisa! I'm excited to get started.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Instead of a pocket door, how about a sliding barn door? It has many of the same advantages of a pocket door (no worries about swing door clearances) plus it may be cheaper to install than a pocket door since you don't need to tear info more of the wall to install it.

Don't be thrown off by the name; it doesn't have to be rustic country in style. Here are some examples:

Kitchen · More Info

The Wave House · More Info

Model Home · More Info

1041 EL · More Info

The door mechanisms are hidden in this install.

Modern Farm House · More Info

We have Elfa shelving in our pantry and our bedroom closets. Love the stuff! It would be cheaper than installing cabs & counters, too.

In benjesbride's last plan, you could install a counter and upper cabs above the washer and dryer for storage and a place to fold laundry.

benjesbride, we have wood stairs in our garage but my parents, who lived just a couple miles from me, had concrete steps with a metal handrail in their garage. DH and I had a concrete step in our first home. No need for a hand rail since it was one step. I'd love to do concrete steps in this house. I hate all the dust and dirt that collects under the stairs. It's a PITA to sweep out. Anyhoo, my point is that concrete steps are done here (rosebay, benjesbride and I live in the same metro area).

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Oops, meant to add a pic of my pantry with Elfa shelving.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

:-) my sample size is very small in my garage stair survey. Only maybe 6 of 6 garages. I think concrete sounds fantastic, but wood might be an option for you, Rose if you need to keep costs down. That is assuming concrete stairs are more than wood. I don't know.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

My sample size isn't any larger. =)

I'm still trying to talk DH into doing the steps ourselves. We did the concrete walk on the side of our first house and the concrete pad for our shed so we're not newbies at this. But steps are a bit trickier so I understand his reluctance.

rosebay thanked lisa_a
  • rosebay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good news is that I already have elfa! Lots of it :) Now that I am removing the hutch, I will be able to move the elfa to the opposite wall, and you won't be able to see the mess if the door is open.

Did I mention I LOVE the idea for a barn door? I have loved them and never thought I would have the opportunity to add one to my home, but now I do! I particularly like the barn door with wood/glass insert. I'm doing shaker cabs, so that would blend nicely, I think. Any suggestions on where to buy barn doors?

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

I should have recognized the Elfa shelving in your pantry. So, yay, another place to save $$.

Home Depot carries barn doors and hardware but if you're looking for something more custom, ask your GC for suggestions.