SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aigredoux

coordinating rugs

Butternut
8 years ago

I recently bought a rug from esalerugs for my "piano" room, which is currently just sort of a play room. It is this one:

It has navy, teal, rust red, gold, and olive in it.

I also have a rug in the adjoining family room. It's an indoor/outdoor sisal look with a navy blue vein, seen in this photo.

The kitchen is also adjacent to this eating area and has dark cherry cabinets and gold/cream granite.

I would like to buy a round 8' polypropylene rug to go in the space that adjoins the two rooms. It will be under a table and two young kids, so needs to be durable and easy to clean. I need it because my daughter slipped and fall on the hardwood yesterday and DH wants to put a rug there.

How do any of these look?

PS, I love the carp one and I'm hoping you tell me it works ;-)

Comments (22)

• amykath
    8 years ago

I think the carp one could work if the lighter white is not too white or ivory. If it is more of a tan then you could probably do it. Other than that, I like the second one you posted as it would really go well (the best imo) with the other two.

Butternut thanked amykath
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I just threw a few together. Maybe the carp rug would look best? If not, then I thing the last rug you posted. The second seems to have not so coordinating colors as I thought upon first glance.

• Butternut
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks akt, that's so helpful!

I also found they have the carp in beige. But I have so much beige already :/

• amykath
    8 years ago

If I had to choose I would def pick the blue carp! It is such a fun rug!!

• User
    8 years ago

I really like the blue carp rug, agree that it's fun and unique. But I love all the rugs here, so pretty!

Butternut thanked User
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Agreed. Love the blue carp rug.

Butternut thanked nosoccermom
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aw, now you guys are just telling me what I want to hear ;-)

• Butternut
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And I want to make it clear that I won't be offended if you tell me that the carp rug is carp...

• User
    8 years ago

OK, I'll tell you I don't like the carp rug. I think a third color needs to be pulled in because the room closest to it (the FR?) has just 2 colors in its rug. I would choose a rug that has blue in it but as a secondary color. It should coordinate with the piano room rug but this matters less because it seems the 2 rooms (eating area and piano room) are separated enough. I think mock ups of rugs are often deceiving because they don't consider what visually separates them.

Butternut thanked User
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The eating area sort of connects the piano room to the family room at right angles. If anything, the family room is more separate (there is a diff color hardwood and a step down).

Eating area w piano room in background (table/chairs not staying), family room is through dark opening to the right.

But yes, that's what I'm afraid of, that the carp doesn't match the piano room rug and they will be in fairly close proximity.

rug in piano room

looking back from piano room into kitchen

• User
    8 years ago

While I like the blue carp rug, I dont think I would like it in your space, it is too bright on my screen anway. I like the second round rug you posted, the colors are more muted like the rug you already have.

Butternut thanked User
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, I think after thinking about it more, that the carp rug would go nicely with the plan I have for the family room, which also has some light asian elements (toile pillows and cushions, pagoda light, bamboo fireplace screen). But not sure it goes with the piano room rug. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty in buying that one. Oh well.

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

I love the carp rug (it would work at my lake house. where did you find it?), but don't think it relates to any of your other elements.

Butternut thanked deeinohio
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

But you have a white table under which the rug would go; white columns, built-in, and steps/banister. I think it would work.

Butternut thanked nosoccermom
  • Butternut
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Still no? ;-)

dee - it's from overstock. there's a few rectangular sizes hanging around on there too.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-Hooked-Karp-Coastal-Rug-8-Rou/9924240/product.html

• amykath
    8 years ago

Butternut, with your mock up I love it and think it goes very nicely!!!!

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

Thanks, Butternut. I do like it better in your mockup.

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

I am going to order the small size for in front of the door. If you want to wait until I get it, I can give you a full-on critique of color, fiber, and quality.

• Butternut
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dee - that would be awesome! Do let me know! Thanks so much!

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

Ordering today.

• User
    8 years ago

Rug #2, carp rug looks like a novelty item.

Butternut thanked User