SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
transnationalq

Please help with suggestions on what to do about remodel

transnationalq
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've attached two basic floor layouts of the first floor.

Currently the kitchen has 5 doors opening in to it:

1. The deck
  2. From Foyer/Stairs
  3. To basement stairs - this is on the left side of the chimney wall as you see it on the 2D layout. I just couldn't get it in there. I'd like to move this by flipping it to the other side of the stairs, putting it in the foyer.
  4. To dining
  5. Small bathroom in far left corner - not shown in layout as we hope to demolish it and find a new space for the toilet/powder room downstairs.

The chimney wall has a chimney running up through it and right next to it is a large duct that leads all the way up in to the attic - we're getting quotes on trying to move that from there to the cavity wall between the dining and kReitchen at the far end towards the back. We'd have to leave about 3-4ft of cavity wall for that.

The cavity wall between kitchen and dining also hides a cast iron pipe running up to the bathroom on the first floor at the end towards the door opening between the two rooms. This would have to be moved, again, to the far end so all the pipes and ducts can fit in to about 3ft x 18" cavity wall. This would involve remodelling the first floor bathroom which we're not huge fans of anyway due to the small space and not great use of it. The bathroom is 9ft by 5.6ft (I seem to recall) with all fittings lined up the to the left of the door - toilet, sink/vanity, bath.

Anyway, back to the kitchen/dining design. I will post actual photos of what we currently have and what it looks like.

We want to go with IKEA cabinets and possibly have an island in there but its only 13ft at the widest part and could be 13ft wide the whole width if we removed the chimney and moved the duct - waiting on cost of moving the duct work.

We're a small family of 3 - 2 adults and 3.5 yr old with a baby on the way. I would like to have as much storage space as possible and prep space on shelves. The only storage space we have is down in the unfinished basement.

Comments (14)