SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliciaknits

House Plan feedback/suggestions please?

aliciaknits
8 years ago

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of choosing plans for our dream home. We both really love this plan.

But are nervous because we've never done any of this house building stuff before. We'd love to buy land this Spring (gathering funds first), and build on 3 acres partially wooded lot with utilities at road. I've contacted a coworker's boyfriend (general contractor) with our specs and house plan to see what a best guestimate for price per square foot/how much total for this house would be for our desired area.

We do not have kids yet, so chose this plan because it offers many rooms. I love larger houses, and we both have large families. I really, really want to host most holidays here, so needed a large great room, open kitchen, and 'play area' upstairs for the littles.

For what it's worth, this will be on semi-forested land that we'll have cleared so we can have sheep and some chickens. The other farmlands we've looked at do not meet our commute goals for my husband, so we have to build in a more forested area and prep/clear beforehand. I wish we could just go south where there is more farmland already established, but it would be too far of a commute. I will stay at home, running a small business and consulting work on the side. No kids yet, will start our family after the house is built. So you can see we want to get moving on this as soon as possible. Won't have enough funds built up/qualify for larger loan until Spring 2016 anyway, so am in the dreaming stage right now :)

Please offer any suggestions or tips that you might have. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments (20)