SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spacedog11

Need help! Is it normal for installer to SCREW temp counter into cabs?

spacedog11
8 years ago

I have been a long time lurker and have learned an enormous amount from this website. This forum has aided me in making most of my big decisions.

I had an installer, subcontracted through Lowe's, install my Schuler cabinets. Outside of this contract, we had arranged for me to pay him separately for plywood countertops to hold up by sink while the quartz countertop was being fabricated. I showed him my stash of plywood from which to pick. When I returned into the kitchen he was screwing the plywood into the cabinets. While this is not what I had anticipated (I thought he was just making a sink cutout and that I would LAY the plywood myself onto the cabinets), I trusted him and assumed that he knew what he was doing and was screwing the plywood into the tops of the sides of the frames so that there would be no holes. When I left I discovered that he had made dozens of holes in the tops of my new cabinets. I realize that these can be filled once the screws are removed, but this is very troubling and very disappointing. Has anyone ever had this experience? Is it acceptable for someone/a contractor to screw holes through a plywood temporary countertop directly into the tops of the brand new cabinets he finished installing less than an hour ago?

And on a related note, is it acceptable for them to have screws poking through the interior of your peninsula cabinet from screwing on the back side of the peninsula? It would seem to me that they would make a better choice and place the screws where two base boxes meet so that the screws are unseen rather than in the middle of a large cabinet where they are evident. And sharp! Please see photos. First is a photo of one of many screws coming into top of cabs from temp countertop. Second is of screws coming into cabs from peninsula backing. Thank you for any help I can get!

Comments (6)