SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxy711

Best way to start off my new dracaena fragrans

Trixie
8 years ago

Hello--I just purchased a d. fragrans this week as I fell in love with its looks at the home garden store. :) I've been looking for a nice plant for my home. I plan for this plant to live in a south facing room, but in a corner so it will not get sun directly on it, but bright indirect light. The room will be 70-75 degrees during the day, and perhaps down to 68 degrees at night. I have read many of the posts about watering, fertilizing, and soils. Also repotting versus up-potting. I've learned a lot already from the great discussions! However, I have not done anything with this plant at this time and am looking for advice on how to give the plant the best start!

1. Should I use the pine bark-granite-Turface mix? I would like to repot in better soil right away. I can't easily check the root system as it won't lift out of the plastic container. The current soil feels like mostly typical bagged peaty soil with a bit of bark. Not something that seems long term. I have not watered the plant as the soil is still damp. I am comfortable with fixing the roots once I see what is going on. (Trimming, etc).

2. I'm assuming a pot with a drain hole is a must. The current soil level is 10" high by 12" wide in this plastic shipping container. I think I should not go to too big of a pot, but this seems small. What is maximum size I should look for?

3. For fertilizer, I plan to get the Dyna Gro's Foliage Pro 9:3:6. I'm not sure how often this should be done, or if this should be done right away.

3. I think I have the watering down. Water till soil seems saturated, but not coming out drain hole. Wait 10-15 min, then water again till about 10-15% of the water comes out the drain hole. Use a pointed wooden dowel to check when soil dry at bottom of container, then water on that schedule.

5. Can/should I trim off the bad leaves? I've posted pictures of this plant. About 6'

tall at the top. I think it looks overall healthy, with the exception of some brown areas and damaged leaves. I'm not too worried as I hope that giving the plant a good start will allow that to heal.

Thanks in advance for the advice! I'm happy to have my first plant in this house! (I'm usually outside working on the landscape ;o)

Comments (2)